Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Less than 2 months till the playoffs.

Who would get your 2019 League MVP right now?

My (non-existent) MVP ballot, as of right now:

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo, MIL
    2. James Harden, HOU
    3. Paul George, OKC

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lakers left with one big question: Does Magic Johnson know what he's doing?

It wasn’t supposed to be like this.

Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and the rest of Lakers Nation believed bringing back Earvin "Magic" Johnson as president of basketball operations was the beginning of an era of sustained success. How could it not be? Everyone loves Magic. He’s the most celebrated player in franchise history, and he’s the face of the Los Angeles sports scene with his Lakers and Dodgers presence.

But so far, it’s been anything but "Showtime" at Staples Center. The sheer number of missteps, odd roster moves and free agent/trade whiffs have raised a serious question. Is it possible Johnson and the Lakers don’t know what they’re doing?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Whats worse is that Magic traded Russell in order to sign Lonzo Ball. And, with him, Lavar Ball. To me, he should have stayed as far away from the Ball family as possible.

The Paul George thing is more forgivable because at that point LeBron James was partly calling the shots, as he always does. I don't know if they get along professionally or not, but I do know they both have big egos.

Moving forward, its LeBron's team. Thats the bargain you make when you sign that guy. And honestly I think the fanbase around here is ok with that, because he's such a celebrity. And Magic isn't going anywhere as long as he keeps the King happy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Whats worse is that Magic traded Russell in order to sign Lonzo Ball. And, with him, Lavar Ball. To me, he should have stayed as far away from the Ball family as possible.

The Paul George thing is more forgivable because at that point LeBron James was partly calling the shots, as he always does. I don't know if they get along professionally or not, but I do know they both have big egos.
    Well, it was no secret that Kyrie Irving wanted out of Cleveland because he didn't want to be Robin to Lebron's Batman, who's to say Paul George wasn't of a similar mindset and decided to stay in OKC. Guess we'll never know.

Moving forward, its LeBron's team. Thats the bargain you make when you sign that guy. And honestly I think the fanbase around here is ok with that, because he's such a celebrity. And Magic isn't going anywhere as long as he keeps the King happy.
    Do the fans care more about the Lakers just being relevant again now that Lebron's in town than they do about winning another championship? And what about head coach Luke Walton? Does Lebron demand he get the ax if the team fails to make the playoffs? To be honest, I'm surprised Walton hasn't already been fired.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Do the fans care more about the Lakers just being relevant again now that Lebron's in town than they do about winning another championship? And what about head coach Luke Walton? Does Lebron demand he get the ax if the team fails to make the playoffs? To be honest, I'm surprised Walton hasn't already been fired.
    Well I do think they were teetering on irrelevance last year. So probably relevance is pretty important right now. LA fans are always going to see themselves as relevant, though, from being in the biggest market in the Country with the biggest expectations.

My gut feeling is that Lebron does what he has to do to built a team of yes men around him. Including getting the coach out if needed. Lebron has already stepped over Walton to override coaching decisions. His latest comments about the Lakers lacking drive is writing on the wall for Walton.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Heck yeah it matters. LA is a championship or bust kind of town.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Heck yeah it matters. LA is a championship or bust kind of town.
    I am looking forward to the most arrogant NBA fanbase starting a full spectrum war on him.
    Well I do think they were teetering on irrelevance last year. So probably relevance is pretty important right now. LA fans are always going to see themselves as relevant, though, from being in the biggest market in the Country with the biggest expectations.

My gut feeling is that Lebron does what he has to do to built a team of yes men around him. Including getting the coach out if needed. Lebron has already stepped over Walton to override coaching decisions. His latest comments about the Lakers lacking drive is writing on the wall for Walton.
    They could have been relevant with Kawhi or someone else. Let's not pretend like Lebron with the miles of a 40 year old car on him was their only potential saviour. With a puppet coach like Lue you are dead in this Wild West.

BANNED

Why exactly do the Lakers need to be relevant? They haven't been relevant since Kobe tore his Achilles way back when, and last I checked, the NBA is more popular and profitable than it has ever been, so I don't really see why the entire league and media apparatus is hellbent on forcing free agents to sign with LA when it's self-evident that absolutely no one wants to ruin their reputation and legacy by going anywhere near that train wreck. And those poor suffering Lakers fans will be just fine, there's plenty of other stuff to do in LA and they'll be perfectly content forgetting the team ever existed.

Minus big men Joel Embiid and Boban Marjanović, the Sixers broke a 19 game losing streak to Oklahoma City 108-104 behind 32 points by Tobias Harris and a triple double by Ben Simmons (11 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists).

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Why exactly do the Lakers need to be relevant? They haven't been relevant since Kobe tore his Achilles way back when, and last I checked, the NBA is more popular and profitable than it has ever been, so I don't really see why the entire league and media apparatus is hellbent on forcing free agents to sign with LA when it's self-evident that absolutely no one wants to ruin their reputation and legacy by going anywhere near that train wreck. And those poor suffering Lakers fans will be just fine, there's plenty of other stuff to do in LA and they'll be perfectly content forgetting the team ever existed.
    Because the media hates to travel to Flyover country.

Also because the NBA marketing machine just loves stars in big high profile cities despite the NFL murdering the NBA in ratings without that model.

Huge win at home against the Thunder and the return of PG. Down 19 at one point, Wesley Mathews has been a monster since coming from Dallas. No Victor Oladipo and still 3rd in the East and 44 wins is outstanding. The Eastern playoffs are gonna be pretty damn good for a first season without Lebron.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I'm not going to miss Lebron in the playoffs at all. His Cleveland team was so boring to watch play most of the time.

Busy day, Magic Johnson announces he's stepping down as team president out of nowhere

Dirk Nowitzki has officially announced he'll retire at the end of the season, goes for 30 in his final home game

Dwayne Wade also goes for 30 in his final home game

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Busy day, Magic Johnson announces he's stepping down as team president out of nowhere
    And I'm sure Luke Walton and his coaching staff will be shown the door pretty soon. All told, the Lakers were a shitshow this season, even with Lebron in residence.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I had a feeling lebron’s time in la wouldn’t end well.