Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

BANNED

I'm sure LeBron had this all mapped out, where he'd finish out his career in La La Land bringing a couple titles to the NBA's most storied franchise, going out on top and using that as a springboard to launch his media empire, transitioning into the Jordan-esque role as this towering giant respected both in sports and business circles. And sure, that would make for a perfect Hollywood narrative, but of course the problem is that real life isn't a movie, and winning a championship is hard enough even with a talented roster, smart coach, and competent front office, none of which the Lakers had before LeBron went there, and certainly not after he was done playing GM and bringing a who's who of knuckleheads to screw up team chemistry even more.

The whole Anthony Davis thing was really the last straw though, because of how blatantly LeBron and his camp orchestrated the whole situation. I fear that Davis is headed down the Dwight Howard path, where this extended bout of free agency drama completely destroys his reputation around the league and sends his promising career into a downward spiral that he'll never fully recover from. The expectations that will be on his shoulders when he finally does arrive with the Lakers will be so high that there's no way he'll be able to fulfill them, and I can just see the debate shows salivating over the prospect of Davis and LeBron butting heads and destroying the locker room in the process. LeBron will be mostly fine in the long run, because a few years after retirement people will mostly forget all the BS and just gawk at his numbers, but I don't think Davis' legacy can recover from something like that.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The whole Anthony Davis thing was really the last straw though, because of how blatantly LeBron and his camp orchestrated the whole situation. I fear that Davis is headed down the Dwight Howard path, where this extended bout of free agency drama completely destroys his reputation around the league and sends his promising career into a downward spiral that he'll never fully recover from.
    C'mon now, Anthony Davis for one is not a complete and utter goofball *******. Howard couldn't even hold up his end on the court after Kobe chewed him out. I feel Davis has a much stronger conviction about him than Howard's corny ass.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

LeBron was always a big fish in a little pond in Cleveland. He moved to celebrity town, where celebrities rise and fall every day. Honestly after seeing him for a year, playing and doing his thing with the front office, I don't blame Magic for running away.

I honestly think the Lakers were more fun to watch last year.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Dirk has official left the building....

41 21 1

Thank you Dirk.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I'm sure LeBron had this all mapped out, where he'd finish out his career in La La Land bringing a couple titles to the NBA's most storied franchise, going out on top and using that as a springboard to launch his media empire, transitioning into the Jordan-esque role as this towering giant respected both in sports and business circles. And sure, that would make for a perfect Hollywood narrative, but of course the problem is that real life isn't a movie, and winning a championship is hard enough even with a talented roster, smart coach, and competent front office, none of which the Lakers had before LeBron went there, and certainly not after he was done playing GM and bringing a who's who of knuckleheads to screw up team chemistry even more.
    The sad thing is he could have done that in Cleveland. Not every movie or tv show is done in California.

He could have helped the economy with making movies and shows there.

And why go to the West? Where every team is tough to beat. Even the bad ones.

He is so busy trying to be about him and I guess it's coming to reality that not everyone wants to play with him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    LeBron was always a big fish in a little pond in Cleveland. He moved to celebrity town, where celebrities rise and fall every day. Honestly after seeing him for a year, playing and doing his thing with the front office, I don't blame Magic for running away.

I honestly think the Lakers were more fun to watch last year.
    Pretty much this. In Cleveland Lebron was a god and the only thing they had going for them. Winning one title there is going to have a lot of mileage. Going to the Finals there has a lot of mileage. He's also the biggest celebrity in the whole area.

LA has a championship pedigree. A final appearance means next to nothing to them. Going one and done in the playoffs is a bad season. Missing the playoffs is a travesty to them. Lebron is also not nearly the star in LA that he is in Cleveland. Sorry you're surrounded by celebrities constantly. There's people as or more famous than you in the stands. Being Lebron James just isn't nearly as special there.

Lebron's still a big deal, but it's a proportions thing

Dirk and Wade both had really special career ending games

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    C'mon now, Anthony Davis for one is not a complete and utter goofball *******. Howard couldn't even hold up his end on the court after Kobe chewed him out. I feel Davis has a much stronger conviction about him than Howard's corny ass.
    Say what you will about Dwight, but he carried an absolutely wretched Magic team to the finals in 2009, whereas Davis has a grand total of 13 playoff games under his belt in seven seasons of play. Most likely next year it'll be him and LeBron alongside a roster of scrubs and castoffs, and they'll still be under immense pressure to win just because of all the events that led up to that point. If they manage to make a run, Davis can salvage his reputation but if they crash and burn like this year's team that will be a severe blow to his career.

Incredible Member

Last year my Trail Blazers finished third in the West with 49 wins, which surprised some people. At the beginning of this season, analysts projected the team to win 42-43 games and finish in the 8th-10th range.

The actual result? 53 wins and third place, again.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's the playoff matchups:

EAST
    (1) Milwaukee vs. (8) Detroit
    (2) Toronto vs. (7) Orlando
    (3) Philadelphia vs. (6) Brooklyn
    (4) Boston vs. (5) Indiana

WEST
    (1) Golden State vs. (8) L.A. Clippers
    (2) Denver vs. (7) San Antonio
    (3) Portland vs. (6) Oklahoma City
    (4) Houston vs. (5) Utah

Let the postseason begin!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Glad its finally here! The playoff season of NBA ball is always so much better than the regular season.

Will this be the Raptors year? Will Houston finally upset Golden State? Are the Bucks going to sustain a run and surprise everyone?

Its just so weird without Lebron in the mix
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Wow the Clippers took a game and cousins is hurt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After shitting the bed in game one, the Sixers roared back in game two of their series against Brooklyn, whacking the Nets 145-123, including a 51 point third quarter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I hate that the West Coast games start at damn near 11. Only time I get to see the Warriors on any regular basis.

Thunder/Blazzers is looking a great series.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.