Default What Is The Sandman Universe???

I keep hearing about the Sandman Universe more and more. It gets so much praise that it's captured my curiosity. Plus there was also that one character that showed up in Dark Nights Metal (not that Syder used him in any way of course, but you know Syder and his cheap shock value stunts) So who was that guy? And what is the Sandman Universe? What makes it so great? All i know is that it was created by Neil Gaiman, whom I know nothing about.
    I think it’s some kind of fairytale land but I’m not sure.

I was kind of hoping for a quick summary and some fan opinions but I guess this also helps...

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

OK, assuming you're not just a troll (sorry, it's just the name and the low post count makes me suspicious), the Sandman Universe is a spinoff from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series that run from the late '80s to mid '90s.

The Sandman itself told the story of Dream of the Endless, one of seven immortal(ish) siblings who represent different aspects of existence (Dream, Death, Desire etc.) and combined single-issue, seemingly self-contained stories with a larger storyline running throughout of how Dream's imprisonment by a pair of amateur magicians for seventy years not only caused the near-destruction of his realm, the Dreaming (the place your mind goes when you dream), but set him on a course that would cause him to question everything that he represents. It was released over 70-odd issues and collected in more formats than you can imagine. It is, for my money, the single greatest ongiong comic book of all time.

Though the art in the early volumes might take some getting used to as they were very much of the time, I highly recommend reading all of the Sandman before touching any of its spin-offs, including, among many, the Sandman Universe. Its a perrenial seller so it's always in print and very easy to get hold of in whatever form you prefer - digitally, in trade paperback, in ombnibus editions or Absolute editions.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Tbh I got into Sandman through Sandman universe as well as The Dreaming and found both to be pretty accessible.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Tbh I got into Sandman through Sandman universe as well as The Dreaming and found both to be pretty accessible.
    It's not that they're not accessible, it's just a weird place to start.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.