Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who are the Top 10 Superman Villains?

It annoys me when people say that Superman doesn't have great villains.. What?! It seems to me he has a very healthy rogues gallery that can challenge him in different and interesting ways.

Now, I'm not an expert since I don't read all the comics, but I've seen enough Superman from all media to realize he has good enemies with interesting backgrounds and stories.

The ones that come to mind are:

Lex Luthor
    Bizarro
    Parasite
    Cyborg Superman
    Brainiac
    Mr Mxy
    Darkseid
    Metallo
    General Zod
    Mongul
    Doomsday
    Lobo
    Toyman

Personal favorites or widely known? Personal favorites are:
    Lex Luthor
    Brainiac
    Mongul
    Metallo
    Parasite
    Vyndyktx
    Livewire
    Manchester Black
    Blanque
    Nimrod

Widely known it’s:
    Lex
    Brainiac
    Doomsday
    Mongul
    Manchester Black
    Zod
    Metallo
    Parasite
    Bizarro
    Mxy

But Clark has probably the second best Rogues Gallery at DC, and third best overall. It’s just nowhere near as good as Bats or Spidey, but it’s far, far better than everyone else. Could use with more focus on others besides Lex though.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd replace Lobo with either Intergang, the various revenge squads, Prankster, Conduit, Eradicator, Kryptonite Man, Ultra Humanite, Imperiex, Silver Banshee, Gog, or another Phantom Zone character like Faora or Quex. Lobo isn't really a villain or a particular Superman threat.

The other 9 are pretty firm, especially if you include their variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Personal favorites or widely known? Personal favorites are:
    Lex Luthor
    Brainiac
    Mongul
    Metallo
    Parasite
    Vyndyktx
    Livewire
    Manchester Black
    Blanque
    Nimrod

Widely known it’s:
    Lex
    Brainiac
    Doomsday
    Mongul
    Manchester Black
    Zod
    Metallo
    Parasite
    Bizarro
    Mxy

But Clark has probably the second best Rogues Gallery at DC, and third best overall. It’s just nowhere near as good as Bats or Spidey, but it’s far, far better than everyone else. Could use with more focus on others besides Lex though.
    I don't understand why Superman's villains are nowhere near as good as Bats or Spiderman's. I find some of Bats and Spiderman's villains just ok to bland and repetitive honestly. I think Superman has some really unique and interesting villains both visually and storywise, and a much bigger threat, especially when written well. For instance, I find Lex Luthor a more interesting villain than Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd replace Lobo with either Intergang, the various revenge squads, Prankster, Conduit, Eradicator, Kryptonite Man, Ultra Humanite, Imperiex, Silver Banshee, Gog, or another Phantom Zone character like Faora or Quex. Lobo isn't really a villain or a particular Superman threat.

The other 9 are pretty firm, especially if you include their variations.
    Intergang got poached by Rucka for Batwoman. They’re more associated with her now than Supes. I’m hoping the Invisible Mafia can replace them as the premier crime organization of Metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I don't understand why Superman's villains are nowhere near as good as Bats or Spiderman's. I find some of Bats and Spiderman's villains just ok to bland and repetitive honestly. I think Superman has some really unique and interesting villains both visually and storywise, and a much bigger threat, especially when written well. For instance, I find Lex Luthor a more interesting villain than Joker.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m just telling you what the average perception is. I like Supes Rogues just fine. I think two things have hurt them: 1. Is that everyone chooses to make Lex Luthor the focus and the one who is responsible for everything going on in Metropolis. It makes the rest feel like little more than lackies for Lex. They lack drive and goals beyond merely killing Supes. And 2. Is that writers keeping making OCs that are dreadfully bland like Rogal rather than giving some love to Rogues like Metallo or Parasite, who could really break out if they got some attention.

Intergang got poached by Rucka for Batwoman. They’re more associated with her now than Supes. I’m hoping the Invisible Mafia can replace them as the premier crime organization of Metropolis.
    Batwoman as in the cancelled book? They just borrowed her. Among the things I'd say qualifies a top villain would be different surviving reboots, appearances in other media, a prestige story, and/or ability to play with others. That would be a case of the latter. Same for GL borrowing Cyborg Superman and Mongul, JL borrowing Lex, etc. Whoever would associate them with Batwoman would have to contend with almost 50 years of Superman association and the most recent appearances to renew the bond, like Moxie appearing in Action 1002

But I guess by that logic, Darkseid is also a loaner.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m just telling you what the average perception is. I like Supes Rogues just fine. I think two things have hurt them: 1. Is that everyone chooses to make Lex Luthor the focus and the one who is responsible for everything going on in Metropolis. It makes the rest feel like little more than lackies for Lex. They lack drive and goals beyond merely killing Supes. And 2. Is that writers keeping making OCs that are dreadfully bland like Rogal rather than giving some love to Rogues like Metallo or Parasite, who could really break out if they got some attention.
    OK that makes sense. So those villains have interesting concepts but need better motivations aka better writing.. And Spiderman villains all have great motivations/backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    ..Among the things I'd say qualifies a top villain would be different surviving reboots, appearances in other media, a prestige story, and/or ability to play with others. That would be a case of the latter. Same for GL borrowing Cyborg Superman and Mongul, JL borrowing Lex, etc. Whoever would associate them with Batwoman would have to contend with almost 50 years of Superman association and the most recent appearances to renew the bond, like Moxie appearing in Action 1002

But I guess by that logic, Darkseid is also a loaner.
    ok that makes sense too. Is Solaris a Superman villain? Is it an iconic enough villain?

OK that makes sense. So those villains have interesting concepts but need better motivations aka better writing.. And Spiderman villains all have great motivations/backstory?

ok that makes sense too. Is Solaris a Superman villain? Is it an iconic enough villain?
    Solaris, Nimrod, Vyndykx, and others SHOULD be staples of Superman’s Rogues Gallery, but sadly no one besides Morrison cared enough to use and develop them which sucks. Not all of Spidey’s have “deep” motivations no. But they do have rather cool costumes, and distinctive powers and personalities. They also usually want stuff beyond just Spidey’s death. Whether that’s money, revenge, respect varies. This is in contrast to say Parasite who is always written as breaking out and trying to eat Superman so he can do... something? He’s a great villain but he lacks a fleshed out motivation. He wants Supes’ power but there’s no real reason why, and no real reason he doesn’t just pick an easier target. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a great read and I highly recommend it if you want a look at some of the lesser villains in Spidey’s Rogues.

Supes has too many “evil clone” villains: Guys who have his powers or who are as strong as he is but are evil. To count the classics there’s Zod, Bizarro (sometimes), Doomsday, Cyborg Superman, and Mongul. That’s 5 and then you add guys like Rogal, and Ullek who was basically the same as Rogal and that’s seven. Eradicator is evil now so that’s 8. They’re too similar in power sets, and motivation. Then there’s the guys who rely on Kryptonite, Metallo and K-Man. Metallo should lose the Kryptonite heart and just become and Adam Jensen-type threat imo. They should keep Morrison’s K-Man, he was the perfect update and as a wife beater was a good throwback to Golden Age Supes.

I think DC should map it out like this:
    1. A-tier - These should show up rarely but when they do it’s a big f***ing deal, like Joker in Death of the Family and Endgame: Lex Luthor (who needs to be benched for a while), Brainiac, Mongul, Zod, Solaris
    2. B-tier - These guys are the arc to arc threats: Metallo, Parasite, Livewire, Nimrod, Manchester Black, Blanque, Mxy
    3. C-tier - These guys are the ones who could use some buffs and/or better characterization: Toyman, Conduit, Riot, Silver Banshee, Master Jailer, and Prankster
    This is what “I” would do, but Bendis has said he wants to focus on building some more Super-Rogues. Rogal has been a bit of a dud, but I looooove Red Cloud and the Invisible Mafia for being Rogues that don’t just want to kill Supes. They want money and respect and to run the city and that’s interesting to me. And Red Cloud has a cool design and powerset that isn’t just being a Flying Brick.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

1. Lex Luthor
    2. Brainiac
    3. Bizarro
    4. The Phantom Zone criminals in general, Zod in partciular
    5. Mxy
    6. Metallo
    7. Parasite
    8. Toyman
    9. Mongul
    10. Much as I may wish it otherwise, Doomsday

Others like the Prankster, the various Kryptonite Men, Intergang, Cyborg Superman, the various incarnations of the Revenge Squad, Morgan Edge and Livewire would be close. The Legion of Supervillains are kind of in a weird spot because he naturally shares them with the Legion, but the classic three of Cosmic King, Lightning Lord and Saturn Queen battled Clark quite a bit.

Batwoman hasn't dealt with Intergang in a while, and when she did it was mostly the Religion of Crime part of it with more focus on Alice, Whisper A'Daire and Kyle Abbott than Manheim. The former was created specifically for her, and the latter two were created by Rucka for his Batman stuff.

Let's see...

Tier A - Household names and icons
    1. Luthor - The only guy who can lay claim to being Superman's nemesis. After him, there's a decent drop to...
    2. Brainiac - For staying power, occasionally cool power set and look, and for getting into the dictionary.
    3. Bizarro - Arguably a better villain than Brainiac, and for all the same reasons, but forays into heroism knock him down a notch.
    4. Zod - The only Kryptonian villain you need. Knocked down for having so many lame revisions over the years (looking at you, Russian Zod who died by flying into Superman's butt). Lump the rest of the Phantom Zone Villains in with him.

Tier B - Damn important villains
    5. Mxyzptlk - The only reason he's not Tier A is because no one can pronounce his name.
    6. Metallo and Parasite - I'm cheating and lumping these guys together, because I always think of them together
    7. Toyman and Prankster - Ditto
    8. Doomsday - I hate including him, because he's such a yutz, but, yeah.

Tier C - Guys I want on the list, but really shouldn't be
    9. Terra-Man, Vartox, and the Galactic Golem - 'Cause the 70's rocked!
    10. Mongul - I love him, but he's a bit of a punk.

Not appearing on my list:
    1. Darkseid - He's everyone's villain, not Clark's.
    2. Any female villain - Superman's been around for 80 years, and he doesn't have a female villain capable of cracking the top 10. Not even Peg Leg Portia and her telepathic space dalmatians. What up with that?

Incredible Member

I truly believe, why no one (general population) knows Superman's villainy, other than mostly Lex Luthor, and every-once-in-a-while General Zod, is, for the most part, Lex Luthor, and General Zod / Phantom Zone criminals, are the only villains used in the Superman movies.

I had just seen an episode of Cash Cab where the question was a Superman villain, 1958, name used for intelligence, word used in mainstream slang today. Those "contestants" and a passerby answered "genius".

That said, I genuinely hope Brainiac would be the big bad of a very soon future Superman or Justice League movie very soon.

1. Lex Luthor
    2. Brainiac
    3. Mister Mxyzptlk
    4. Bizarro Superman No.1
    5. Doomsday
    6. General Zod
    7. Metallo
    8. Cyborg Superman
    9. Parasite
    10. Toyman
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-17-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    5. Mxyzptlk - The only reason he's not Tier A is because no one can pronounce his name.
    "Mix-Yez-Spittle-Lick".

I think if someone was generous. One million and All Star are major stories but thatÂ’s not a whole lot. The DC graveyard is filled with characters who would show up for an arc or two, but not really make a big splash in the mythos. Xa-Du is probably the one with the best potential to make that jump.

This is in contrast to say Parasite who is always written as breaking out and trying to eat Superman so he can do... something?
    Jensen and Jones are both greedy butt heads, and being a parasite means being an energy vampire. Basically addicts. Superman is the biggest fish, so they stay trying to rip him off.

Supes has too many “evil clone” villains: Guys who have his powers or who are as strong as he is but are evil. To count the classics there’s Zod, Bizarro (sometimes), Doomsday, Cyborg Superman, and Mongul. That’s 5 and then you add guys like Rogal, and Ullek who was basically the same as Rogal and that’s seven. Eradicator is evil now so that’s 8. They’re too similar in power sets, and motivation.
    They tie back to overlap with Superman of course. I don't see an overlap between Zod and Doomsday for two of those mentioned.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Lex Luthor
    Doomsday
    Darkseid
    Mongul
    Brainiac
    Cyborg Superman
    Zod
    Bizarro
    Parasite
    Metallo

Lightbulb