Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It changes a whole lot to do with the Kree. I will repost what I said earlier:
    The fact that it's saying that Mar-Vell's specific-to-him powerset now isn't anything to do with him at all is really annoying. Carol's super-hero persona in a meta sense owes a lot to Mar-Vell; specifically retconning her history to remove that acknowledgement just seems ungrateful, imo.
    Okay, yeah, and THAT is FIIIIIIIIINE.

I can understand (even support?) folks who are like "Hey WTF that changes Kree yadda yadda" but the folks who are raging about Carol's agency or motivations or accomplishments or whatever because of the "acquired vs activated" narrative is silly.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Okay, yeah, and THAT is FIIIIIIIIINE.

I can understand (even support?) folks who are like "Hey WTF that changes Kree yadda yadda" but the folks who are raging about Carol's agency or motivations or accomplishments or whatever because of the "acquired vs activated" narrative is silly.
    I think the issue is that it adds a 'it was her destiny' element to the character that rub people the wrong way

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I think the issue is that it adds a 'it was her destiny' element to the character that rub people the wrong way
    Destiny to what though? Be a hero?

The worst thing about the retcon to me is the name. If it wasn't so blatantly a Superman/Supergirl rip-off the change might go over slightly better.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

When Marvel wants an IP onscreen, the push is incredible. Even after the onscreen debut, the market is flooded with said IP until the next IP. Marvel's push for Captain Marvel is unbelievable.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Well, "The Chosen One" narratives almost always work as much against a character's reception as it does for it. Carol's was a classic underdog and/or redemption story up until the recent spate of proposed changes. When you strike that and diminish some of the key components of her origin, you really have changed the core of who she is, or at least who she was, and that SHOULD annoy some of her fans and Marvel fans in general.

As someone who read Carol's first series hot off the press back in the 70s, I can tell you that it bothers me. I mean if these changes really are neutral, then why bother? Why introduce them at all? Leave her origin intact and build the character from there. The fact that they feel the need to change it speaks to an agenda that I'm not sure that I appreciate very much. What made her special was that she was a woman fighting against the system. And yes, there was quite a bit of meta there as well, as Carol also had to fight her way through several bad plots and some very heinous storylines that Marvel writers imposed on her. Considering that she is Marvel's First Feminist, she's been crapped on an awful lot by supposedly "forward thinking" writers. She was written like victimhood was her greatest power. She'd been raped physically and mentally more times than I care to count. This is her time now to finally shine, to put all of the bad plots and bad history behind her. Not to bury it, not to say that it never happened, but that she survived it all … and there's no going back.

Carol isn't someone whom the Fates fancied. There was no grand destiny written for her in the stars just waiting for time and opportunity and alignment to be claimed. So she created one for herself. That's the narrative. That's the Carol that I supported back in the day.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-23-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Destiny to what though? Be a hero?
    Yea I guess.She's seen as sort of a every woman,a underdog.Her having special genes takes away from that.
    Last edited by Baseman; 10-22-2018 at 07:00 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The worst thing about the retcon to me is the name. If it wasn't so blatantly a Superman/Supergirl rip-off the change might go over slightly better.
    Yeah. I wish her Kree name was better.

The retcon kinda makes the mum look like a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Right, isn't? It is not as another kree name variant was that hard to work out: Cah-Rell, Kha-Roll, Ke-Rell, whatever. Dan-Vers even. But Car-Ell? I mean, they have not an editor who would have said: "you known, that sound a little too much kryptonian, change it"?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, "The Chosen One" narratives almost always work as much against a character's reception as it does for it. Carol's was a classic underdog and/or redemption story up until the recent spate of proposed changes. When you strike that and diminish some of the key components of her origin, you really have changed the core of who she is, or at least who she was, and that SHOULD annoy some of her fans and Marvel fans in general.

As someone who read Carol's first series hot off the press back in the 70s, I can tell you that it bothers me. I mean if these changes really are neutral, then why bother? Why introduce them at all? Leave her origin intact and build the character from there. The fact that they feel the need to change it speaks to an agenda that I'm not sure that I appreciate very much. What made her special was that she was a woman fighting against the system. And yes, there was quite a bit of meta there as well, as Carol also had to fight her way through several bad plots and some very heinous storylines that Marvel writers imposed on her. Considering that she is Marvel's First Feminist, she's been crapped on an awful lot by supposedly "forward thinking" writers. She's was written like victimhood was her greatest power. She'd been raped physically and mentally more times than I care to count. This is her time now to finally shine, to put all of that bad plots and bad history behind her. Not to bury it, not to say that it never happened, but that she survived it all … and there's no going back.

Carol isn't someone whom the Fates fancied. There was no grand destiny written for her in the stars just waiting for time and opportunity and alignment to be claimed. So she created one for herself. That's the narrative. That's the Carol that I supported back in the day.
    This is the best explanation than I can adhere. When I met Carol I thought of her like a female Spider-man kind of character, in the sense than she was trying to make good even when life sucks. And keep struggling. But then, she became Marvel's female Superman: blue suit, alien name, loved by everyone. At least she is not kree royalty.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

This is the best explanation than I can adhere. When I met Carol I thought of her like a female Spider-man kind of character, in the sense than she was trying to make good even when life sucks. And keep struggling. But then, she became Marvel's female Superman: blue suit, alien name, loved by everyone. At least she is not kree royalty.
    Don't give Marvel more bad ideas.

Ultimate Member

I haven't caught up with Life of Captain Marvel.

What's her name now? Cara-El?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I haven't caught up with Life of Captain Marvel.

What's her name now? Cara-El?
    Car-Ell

10char

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Car-Ell

10char
    Even her Kree name doesnt make sense with Kree stuff.

She should be Ca-Rell if anything.

The more I read about this, the more my eyes keep rolling.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I honestly don't know if I'll be able to get beyond the name. With all due respect to the professional writers and editorial staff, it's beyond ridiculous.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Car-Ell

10char
    It’s almost as if they were asked to change the origin in this way, and deliberately decided to take the mick