Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

I assume this is retaliation for the Supergirl TV series changing her civilian name to Kara Danvers.

Petty, petty, petty.

Probably tongue in cheek, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    More to the point, as much as they want to distance Carol from the Ms. Marvel identity, it's not like people are gonna magically forget she was Ms. Marvel for what, 40 years? Right now I can walk into any comic book shop or bookstore (or perhaps more relevantly, online places like Comixology or Amazon and find these:

The Captain Marvel identity is here to stay and I 100 percent understand why they found it easier to just have her be Captain Marvel in the movie from the beginning rather than making it a whole legacy mantle thing, but if the goal is to try and make people forget Carol was ever Ms. Marvel because that's somehow not empowering, then that is kind of a losing goal.

It reminds me of a less severely stupid version of when Rick Remender said his goal was to make people forget Eddie Brock was ever Venom and to make Toxin his most popular and iconic identity, and how swimmingly that all worked out.
    Most of the people who will see the upcoming film won’t know about Carol’s history as Ms Marvel. Combine this with Kamala being pushed as the Ms Marvel character and I think that goal will be easier than you think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Supergirl was created in the 1950s with the secret identity of Linda Danvers - of course, when Carol was created a decade later she was just a love interest, not a superheroine, so nobody had to foresight to give her a different name. Carol's the one who ripped Kara off.
    thanks for not making me write this Now should we discuss the rip off of Captain Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, the usage of Ms. can be seen as anti-feminist nowadays - gender neutral terminology is preferred now, hence why female actors are often just called actors now instead of actresses. Captain is gender neutral, Ms. obviously is not. Kamala gets away with it because she's a kid.
    that is just the dumbing down of the language that has continued since the invention of the boob-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I assume this is retaliation for the Supergirl TV series changing her civilian name to Kara Danvers.

Petty, petty, petty.

Probably tongue in cheek, though.
    Strange thing is Kara has had the Danvers name in her mythos since 1961 when she got adopted by Fred and Edna.

Yeah, but she was always Linda Danvers. Making Supergirl's secret identity "Kara Danvers" when you know that Marvel are bringing out a big movie about "Carol Danvers"... shots fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, "The Chosen One" narratives almost always work as much against a character's reception as it does for it. Carol's was a classic underdog and/or redemption story up until the recent spate of proposed changes. When you strike that and diminish some of the key components of her origin, you really have changed the core of who she is, or at least who she was, and that SHOULD annoy some of her fans and Marvel fans in general.

As someone who read Carol's first series hot off the press back in the 70s, I can tell you that it bothers me. I mean if these changes really are neutral, then why bother? Why introduce them at all? Leave her origin intact and build the character from there. The fact that they feel the need to change it speaks to an agenda that I'm not sure that I appreciate very much. What made her special was that she was a woman fighting against the system. And yes, there was quite a bit of meta there as well, as Carol also had to fight her way through several bad plots and some very heinous storylines that Marvel writers imposed on her. Considering that she is Marvel's First Feminist, she's been crapped on an awful lot by supposedly "forward thinking" writers. She's was written like victimhood was her greatest power. She'd been raped physically and mentally more times than I care to count. This is her time now to finally shine, to put all of that bad plots and bad history behind her. Not to bury it, not to say that it never happened, but that she survived it all … and there's no going back.

Carol isn't someone whom the Fates fancied. There was no grand destiny written for her in the stars just waiting for time and opportunity and alignment to be claimed. So she created one for herself. That's the narrative. That's the Carol that I supported back in the day.
    Thank you for encapsulating how I feel much more eloquently.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I haven't caught up with Life of Captain Marvel.

What's her name now? Cara-El?
    Eh - why would she care about her Kree name anyway. She's been Carol Danvers her whole life -- that's her name. She's only part-Kree and was raised on Earth. The Cara-El thing can be one of those bad ideas that future writers ignore.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, but she was always Linda Danvers. Making Supergirl's secret identity "Kara Danvers" when you know that Marvel are bringing out a big movie about "Carol Danvers"... shots fired.
    I doubt Carol Danvers was ever a consideration by anyone at DC. I'm pretty sure she started going by Kara Danvers before there was an announcement from Marvel about a 'Captain Marvel' film. I actually preferred Linda Danvers as Supergirl's alter identity -- but seems unlikely that will change now.

I have to admit than the choice on the name in Supergirl was strange for me,even if Kara is her native name. Honestly, I saw it as somekind of cover statement. But if this "Car-Ell" thing is a response, I don't think it was used in a clever way.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I doubt Carol Danvers was ever a consideration by anyone at DC. I'm pretty sure she started going by Kara Danvers before there was an announcement from Marvel about a 'Captain Marvel' film. I actually preferred Linda Danvers as Supergirl's alter identity -- but seems unlikely that will change now.
    I didn't say it was deliberate on DC's part. Back when DC debuted Power Girl I doubt that they considered Marvel's Power Man, but the editor in chief at Marvel took exception and revived Wonder Man in tit-for-tat retaliation. They do some petty ****.

For what it's worth Marvel started development on a Captain Marvel movie in May 2013, and announced it October 2014; DC pitched the Supergirl series to CBS in September 2014. I don't know when the writers for Supergirl decided to change "Linda Danvers" to "Kara Danvers", but I'm sure someone at Marvel would have been annoyed, deliberate or not.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Eh - why would she care about her Kree name anyway. She's been Carol Danvers her whole life -- that's her name. She's only part-Kree and was raised on Earth. The Cara-El thing can be one of those bad ideas that future writers ignore.
    I'm already anticipating the retcon to the retcon. Especially, if the movie falls short of WW-type expectations. There's a good chance that even Aquaman will gross higher.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

She was Linda Lee Danvers Pre-Crisis then Post Crisis you had Linda Danvers which was a separate Supergirl and Post Crisis Kara was simply Kara for a long time. So the TV shows using Kara Danvers was just a hybrid version to differentiate from the originals and bring the best elements of both. I seriously doubt Captain Marvel was ever a thought in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    She was Linda Lee Danvers Pre-Crisis then Post Crisis you had Linda Danvers which was a separate Supergirl and Post Crisis Kara was simply Kara for a long time. So the TV shows using Kara Danvers was just a hybrid version to differentiate from the originals and bring the best elements of both. I seriously doubt Captain Marvel was ever a thought in the process.
    Quoting myself:
    I didn't say it was deliberate on DC's part. Back when DC debuted Power Girl I doubt that they considered Marvel's Power Man, but the editor in chief at Marvel took exception and revived Wonder Man in tit-for-tat retaliation. They do some petty ****.

BANNED

thank god for short memories