Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't know about "Ms" being anti-feminist. I see it used all the time in my real life.
    We continue to use it in the professional world, especially if we are uncertain of a woman's marital status.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Having read DC's Shazam TP solicit, it looks like they're back to calling Billy Batson Captain Marvel again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Having read DC's Shazam TP solicit, it looks like they're back to calling Billy Batson Captain Marvel again.
    This I am very glad about if it's so

I never liked the shift of him using the wizards name at all

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Personally I think it's a forced, unrequired and rather stupid retcon, that causes many more issues with Carol's continuity than it fixes.

However, I can see why Marvel liked the idea of it and I can see why they wanted to go all 'yay, female hero doesnt need a man!' with it.

It really is trying too hard at this point though...but if it works...
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Really?

Lmao, this reads like actual fanfic.

Who seriously sits around going “Carol lacks agency because she got her powers by ACCIDENT AND FROM A MAN!”

this is just so dumb. The stretching to make her a modern day feminist icon by any means necessary is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, the usage of Ms. can be seen as anti-feminist nowadays - gender neutral terminology is preferred now, hence why female actors are often just called actors now instead of actresses. Captain is gender neutral, Ms. obviously is not. Kamala gets away with it because she's a kid.
    Wonder Woman and Supergirl would disagree.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post
    Lmao, this reads like actual fanfic.

Who seriously sits around going “Carol lacks agency because she got her powers by ACCIDENT AND FROM A MAN!”

this is just so dumb. The stretching to make her a modern day feminist icon by any means necessary is insulting.
    I suspect they didn't really say that though. I'm almost willing to bet on it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Personally I think it's a forced, unrequired and rather stupid retcon, that causes many more issues with Carol's continuity than it fixes.

However, I can see why Marvel liked the idea of it and I can see why they wanted to go all 'yay, female hero doesnt need a man!' with it.

I kinda doubt that was their reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Since Marvel has pushed up Carol, in every re telling of her origin they have been trying to erase/minimize Mar-Vell from her origin. You can check than the presence of Mar-Vell in Carol origin has been avoided in the many several relaunches series progresivelly.

But the point is, why use the name of a character she doesn't own anything then?

I guess they will go with some excuse. Like Marvel being a Kree title or something like that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Since Marvel has pushed up Carol, in every re telling of her origin they have been trying to erase/minimize Mar-Vell from her origin. You can check than the presence of Mar-Vell in Carol origin has been avoided in the many several relaunches series progresivelly.

But the point is, why use the name of a character she doesn't own anything then?

I guess they will go with some excuse. Like Marvel being a Kree title or something like that.
    They were still friends, and lovers - and she still 'owes' the activation of her powers and the start of her career as a superhero to him.

While I do think Carol and Teddy need a conversation on page about her using what is his family name/heritage as her code name, given that Marvel seem to be pushing all the Mar-Vell stuff away, I dont expect that to happen any time soon, and it would probably go poorly for Teddy anyway given their desire to push Carol to the moon right now
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I suspect they didn't really say that though. I'm almost willing to bet on it.
    I thought this whole MCU retcon was about Carol's similarities to Hal Jordan. Not only is she still like Jordan, but now she's also like Aquaman and Star Lord with a dash of Superman. Seriously, what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

I'm betting that is what's happening in the movie. Jude Law is Yon-Rogg. Brie Larsen will answer to her Star Force name, Mar-Vell. She or Fury will purpose it into a superhero name (Captain Marvel) when she gets back to Earth.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I thought this whole MCU retcon was about Carol's similarities to Hal Jordan. Not only is she still like Jordan, but now she's also like Aquaman and Star Lord with a dash of Superman. Seriously, what the hell?
    We don't know what the MCU retcon is. I see a lot of people assuming the comics retcon is related to the movie, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that just yet. The comics people don't know about the movies in advance like they used to. All of that ended when there was the split between Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment, and the comic book committee that served as consultant to the movies was dissolved. People who work in the comics right now often state they know as much as what's going to happen in the movies as we do. It's possible her MCU origin is gonna end up different from the new comic origin.

I'm betting that is what's happening in the movie. Jude Law is Yon-Rogg. Brie Larsen will answer to her Star Force name, Mar-Vell. She or Fury will purpose it into a superhero name (Captain Marvel) when she gets back to Earth.
    I don't like any scenario where Mar-Vell is erased and replaced by someone. It's just so incredibly disrespectful to the character. They should just say that the Captain Marvel name is given to the best Starforce member of every decade or so, and hint at Mar-Vell using it before Carol. Honestly, I don't even need him to be a part of Carol's life in the MCU. As long as he's allowed to exist and have a role in future films as his own individual character, that's enough for me.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-22-2018 at 02:21 AM.

Is this really all that "OMG!!!" ?

Instead of: "Carol strove to greatness and hurdled every challenge set before her -- and one day, while at NASA, got got caught in the crossfire of two aliens fighting, and by explosive accident, had her DNA merge with that of the alien shielding her, granting her super powers"

We now have: "Carols trove to greatness and hurdled every challenge set before her -- and one day, while at NASA got caught in the crossfire of two aliens fighting, and by explosive accident, had her own alien DNA jump-started, granting her super powers.

Its really NOT. THAT. DIFFERENT.

Her alien DNA -- her Kree-N-A, if you will -- was simply on SLEEP MODE until the Psych Magnetron went BLAMMO -- WAKING IT UP.
    Its not like her pre-BLAMMO Kree-N-A was giving her any boosts or advantages. Everything she accomplished pre-BLAMMO was accomplished as a regular woman.

She was a run of the mill regular walk about town kind of gal, fending off male perception of what a woman was capable of, and then BLAMMO -- she got into some heavy Alien **** that LITERALLY exploded in her face and when the dust settled and she got keyed in on what the aforementioned-face-explosion DID --- well, GUESS WHAT: Carol is HALF KREE.

I cannot understand why folks are up in arms about this reveal that she was ALWAYS low-key-Half-Kree.

This "retcon" -- in my mind -- is MUCH LESS retcon and much more "blu ray bonus featurette" explaining aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the **** we DIDN'T KNOW that was there all along -- again, that changes NOTHING beyond WHAT CAROL THOUGHT-- and now we DO know and we've got a boat load of NEW GROUND to explore moving forward -- that Kelly Thompson is going to inevitably crush, because she's Rad AF and talented to the 9's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    This "retcon" -- in my mind -- is MUCH LESS retcon and much more "blu ray bonus featurette" explaining aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the **** we DIDN'T KNOW that was there all along -- again, that changes NOTHING beyond WHAT CAROL THOUGHT-
    It changes a whole lot to do with the Kree. I will repost what I said earlier:
    If what I'm understanding is true and that they're saying Carol's Ms Marvel powers - flight, 10 ton strength, resistance to injury, warrior skills - were simply natural Kree heritage, that is a huge retcon which makes no sense, especially in relation to Mar-Vell's stories. The Nega-Bands gave him those powers, and Carol received powers analogous to those. This really doesn't jibe with what we have seen of the Kree up to this point. And that's not even taking account of the fact that her original uniform that she manifests is a variation on Mar-Vell's unique captain uniform, and that being able to manifest a uniform itself is not something the Kree can do.
    The fact that it's saying that Mar-Vell's specific-to-him powerset now isn't anything to do with him at all is really annoying. Carol's super-hero persona in a meta sense owes a lot to Mar-Vell; specifically retconning her history to remove that acknowledgement just seems ungrateful, imo.