Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I love how you had to find out by reading an article when the last issue came out about 3 weeks ago. Suggesting you dont read her comics yet you have enough input to suggest she's Marvel's attempt at a Superwoman again without reading the actual story.

Her biology is more attuned to Aquaman, Namor, Jon Kent then it is any full kryptonian. Its her own thing among Kree given she's a Kree/Human hybrid.
    Does the children of Captain Marvel mean anything anymore ?

Niffleheim

Well she has been described as Marvel's superman why not go for the House of El name too? House of Car-Ell I love this lol! the ridiculousness of the character keeps reaching new heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Does the children of Captain Marvel mean anything anymore ?
    nobody gives a crap about his children

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Wasn't she air force and a security chief of a covert base or something

fairly ahead of the curve for the time I thought
    She started as a security chief to a missle base in the late 1960s. This was back when NASA had their "Hidden Figures" situation. This was truly a progressive move. Then she got the test pilot stuff and the espionage so she could have been paired with Wolverine. But Carol was fleshed out wonderfully from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's just another origin tweek. Most characters that have been around for more than a few decades have gone through them for better or worse. And Carol in particular has been through almost half a dozen revamps since the 60's. This is certainly nothing to be feeling "sick" over.
    I'll grant 'sick" may be more than an appropriate reaction, but this seems less OK tan most "tweaks". And tweak is an understatement.

Ultimate Member

Comics do so many retcons that unless it's truly dumb, I tend to just role with it. And this is just, ok sure why not? I can why some people would argue that Carol's origin story hasn't aged that well in some places.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Isn't Linda Danvers the name Peter David used? For the Angel version?
    "Linda Lee Danvers" was Kara Zor-El's civilian identity during her Earth-One stories.

Can Rogue please come and mess her up again!!!!

Synergy with the movies obvious.

Well this does not affect the character much except that now for all purposes Carol is no longer totally human.

BANNED

This just seems like some minor thing that someone who doesn't even read the comic in the first place will hear about second hand and decide to be outraged about.

So they gave an explanation as to why her mother called her Carol and they linked it back to her Kree origins. So what? It's probably not going to be brought up again, much less become a regular way of referring to her. She's not going to introduce herself to someone as Carol and then add "Oh, and by the way, that comes from the Kree word for 'Champion'."

That's kind of funny - it means Kamala accidentally named her team after Carol!

Isn't Linda Danvers the name Peter David used? For the Angel version?
    You mean Matrix? She did use the name, but she didn't originate it. "Linda Lee" was adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers in 1961, so that's when the Linda Danvers name originated.
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Zor-El_(Earth-One)
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_279
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-17-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Sorry, this is as absurd as Tony Stark being adopted. Maybe more so. So...at no time along the way even when the Brood experimented on her, did they notice Kree DNA? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Comics do so many retcons that unless it's truly dumb, I tend to just role with it. And this is just, ok sure why not? I can why some people would argue that Carol's origin story hasn't aged that well in some places.
    I agree, as I said in the Carol appreciation thread this isn’t anywhere near as bad as the situation with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver’s parentage, nor as confusing as say the Cosmic Ghost Rider. It is pretty easy to follow that she just didn’t know she was half-alien and that the incident with Mar-vell only activated her powers than anything else.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

She thought her DNA had been blended with Mar-Vell's by the psyche-magnetron and that she'd had part-Kree DNA since then - so the Brood wouldn't have seen anything that Carol didn't expect. The retcon is that she was ALWAYS half-Kree, and her powers come from her mother instead of Mar-Vell. The psyche-magnetron only activated her powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's kind of funny - it means Kamala accidentally named her team after Carol!

You mean Matrix? She did use the name, but she didn't originate it. "Linda Lee" was adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers in 1961, so that's when the Linda Danvers name originated.
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Zor-El_(Earth-One)
    https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_279
    Well, regardless of the last name Danvers, she was never called Kara Danvers, which hews awful close to Carol Danvers. I doubt that was totally by coincidence that the movie was announced in 2014 and the show Supergirl launched a year later and decided to use that name.

I don't really mind Carr-Ell sort of bumping up to Kryptonian naming conventions based on that.

As for this revelation, I'm fine with it. If she's going to be Captain Marvel going forward, and will hold the title far longer than Mar-Vell it makes sense to allow her origin to stand somewhat apart from him in the future.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Well, regardless of the last name Danvers, she was never called Kara Danvers, which hews awful close to Carol Danvers. I doubt that was totally by coincidence that the movie was announced in 2014 and the show Supergirl launched a year later and decided to use that name.

I don't really mind Carr-Ell sort of bumping up to Kryptonian naming conventions based on that.

As for this revelation, I'm fine with it. If she's going to be Captain Marvel going forward, and will hold the title far longer than Mar-Vell it makes sense to allow her origin to stand somewhat apart from him in the future.
    It struck me kara danvers was close to carol danvers

but then I realised it was just an amalgamated form of her kryptonian first name and silver age human family name

Nice synergy though

I'm sure dc noticed the possibility and jumped right on it

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

But Supergirl's the more popular character of the two and her names were already established.

download.jpg