Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Can't argue with that. My favorite Carol stories were the Brian Reed stuff up through Civil War.
    That was good stuff

Probably my favourite book from marvel at that time
    Last edited by kilderkin; 10-17-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    He's complaining about the Car-Ell thing which was revealed today.

All this revision seems un-necessary. This is reaching into Guy Gardner territory.
    I forgot all about Guy "Hey! I just found out I'm an super powered alien, just in time to compensate for my not being a Green Lantern anymore!" Gardener.

That was still the worst ever, lol.

This smacks more of the "You were never human, you only THOUGHT you were" stuff that got pulled in the 80's.

Usually done to explain why lethal doses of radiation didn't kill some Silver Age character outright.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    This will never last once the movie comes out they’ll change her origin again just you wait
    based on what cbc said in an interview with previews I think this mini was don't to marry her up with the intended mcu character version

Supergirl is popular. No one other than comic fans know who Kara Zor-El or Linda Danvers is.

Or at least didn't until "Kara Danvers" that popular, widely used name, dating back decades showed up three years ago.
    I'm sure the producers of the Supergirl show call her Kara Danvers because her Kryptonian name is Kara Zor-El, so why confuse things by giving her two names, "Kara" and "Linda"? Supergirl is not on the same level as Superman where everyone knows the "Clark Kent" name.

Kara is a more unique name, so I can see why they went with that as her only real name.

I would find it incredibly hard to believe that the Supergirl producers gave a damn about Carol Danvers and had her in their thought process in the slightest even though I'm sure they've heard of the character. By the way, you should know that Gerry Conway turned Carol Danvers into Ms. Marvel because he was a big Supergirl fan and created Ms. Marvel to essentially be Marvel's Supergirl. He co-created Power Girl for DC a year earlier as another Supergirl analogue.

I would have no problem with Carol Danvers' new origin if they didn't use the Super-sounding "El" suffix. Superman is my favorite comics character, so this isn't something I can ignore. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel was once my favorite Marvel superheroine, and while taking the Captain Marvel name wasn't something I was crazy about, I could live with it. However, making her last name Kryptonian sounding really turns me off in a big way and really turns me against the character.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Maybe not those names, but certainly who Supergirl was, maybe by association but that's just clever marketing

A film and 4 seasons vs 1 film, sure the films won't be equally received but that's still ahead of that game

I think outside of comics up till this film carol was hardly known at all, Supergirl much more so by association and by tv, but there it is

And based on numbers I think she edges the comics too

I suppose I mean out of comics people likely knew Supergirl as superman cousin, but as for carol, till the mcu I think they knew nothing practically
    I don't think either were known by their secret identities. But I do think CW/WB were trying to be sly by naming Supergirl Kara Danvers on their show. Sure the ratio ale makes sense based on canon, but most CW/CBS/WB viewers probably did not know that.

Instead by grabbing Kara Danvers before Captain Marvel came out they get to have that name associated with Supergirl. So Carol Danvers which sounds very similar makes people register that name as a ripoff.

It's kind of like the secret identity equivalent of the Shazam/Captain Marvel problem DC had.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I would have really loved to be in the meeting where they decided to change her origin because of the movie. I really want to know the silly logic. I think it's more the joke that her powers come from a man thing.

Astonishing Member

I don't think either were known by their secret identities. But I do think CW/WB were trying to be sly by naming Supergirl Kara Danvers on their show. Sure the ratio ale makes sense based on canon, but most CW/CBS/WB viewers probably did not know that.

Instead by grabbing Kara Danvers before Captain Marvel came out they get to have that name associated with Supergirl. So Carol Danvers which sounds very similar makes people register that name as a ripoff.

It's kind of like the secret identity equivalent of the Shazam/Captain Marvel problem DC had.
    Oh yeah i agree, I think they saw the in mythos connection and jumped right on it

once carols film is out she'll be second only to wonder woman I feel for public awareness beyond comics

Completely lame, lazy and just...ugh.

The desire to make Carol getting her powers without a man at the cost of everything else is just pointless.
    Last edited by Muffin Crud; 10-17-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Oh yeah i agree, I think they saw the in mythos connection and jumped right on it

once carols film is out she'll be second only to wonder woman I feel for public awareness beyond comics
    Among female comics characters in general, I'm sure Lois Lane, Catwoman, and Batgirl will still be better known/liked. Among Marvel's females specifically, I think Black Widow will still be more liked.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I don't think "getting her powers from a man" is inherently sexist and people too often talk as if it is. What diminishes a character like She-Hulk (much as I love her) is not that she got her powers from a male hero but a much more famous male hero, and she'll always be in his shadow.

This hasn't been a problem for Carol for a long time, maybe ever. Mar-Vell was never that famous and he's mostly famous for dying.

A more genuine problem is that Carol's sense of being Kree, which came up from time to time, really was borrowed and not her own. That makes it a good idea for the movies to (probably) make her part-Kree, but I don't think it's necessary for the comics, even though I know management probably thinks it is.

My problem with the change is that it takes one of the most interesting parts of Carol's origin - that she was Lois Lane who accidentally got Superman-level powers and actually surpassed Superman as a hero - and replaces it with Chosen One stuff, which I usually don't like.

Invincible Member

I don't think the problem was Carol getting her powers from a man as much as it was moving her origin a step further from a character she was spun-off from, but that they have no intention of bringing back.

And seriously, I don't think this hurts what was good about any of Mar-Vell's old stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think the problem was Carol getting her powers from a man as much as it was moving her origin a step further from a character she was spun-off from, but that they have no intention of bringing back.

And seriously, I don't think this hurts what was good about any of Mar-Vell's old stories.
    I don't think it affects Mar-Vell one way or the other, but it does diminish something I like about Carol, which is that she became a superhero by accident, like Spider-Man and many others. She could have had a normal human life but getting powers changed all that, and like all such heroes that's not a completely good or bad thing. Now they're trying to shift her over to being someone who could never have been a normal human even if they wanted to be, like Superman.

I can think of one case where they made this change and it worked: Thor was originally just some guy who found the hammer by accident, and was later changed to being the actual God of Thunder forced to live as a human. So it can work, but I usually identify more with someone who wasn't born more powerful than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't think it affects Mar-Vell one way or the other, but it does diminish something I like about Carol, which is that she became a superhero by accident, like Spider-Man and many others. She could have had a normal human life but getting powers changed all that, and like all such heroes that's not a completely good or bad thing. Now they're trying to shift her over to being someone who could never have been a normal human even if they wanted to be, like Superman.

I can think of one case where they made this change and it worked: Thor was originally just some guy who found the hammer by accident, and was later changed to being the actual God of Thunder forced to live as a human. So it can work, but I usually identify more with someone who wasn't born more powerful than anyone else.
    Yuuuup.

Carol’s origin is simple, classic superhero and stronger for it. A normal human granted amazing powers by complete accident and the way they strive to use it for good.
    Last edited by Muffin Crud; 10-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Carol Danvers, the Woman of One Thousand Origins!
    I consider her the Woman with a Blank Slate. Has any character from Marvel been Retconned so much?

Extraordinary Member

Lighthouse, woman from another species, hybrid baby! More like Aquaman.