Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-men Black Mystique Recap( Spoilers)

I didn't see one up. So I will take a stab at it

-The general meat of the issue is about how Mystique as shapeshifter does her job, The issue has her to changing into several people using bits and pieces of information manipulate her way through things as she puts together her plan.

Capture2.jpg

- Her plan is to infiltrate Trask industry and steal some data about Mothervine and as secondary mission save a mutant who trap inside.

Capture1.jpg

-In true ruthless Mystique fashion, her plan leaves a lot of people dead inside of Trask.

Capture.jpg

- This book isn't super special just a solid story about how Mystique operates. It was trying to convey how she goes the extra mile to learn about her prey and how she uses her ability to get her in where she is needed. Could have been executed a little better but if it was tv show and you didn't know who was suppose to be Mystique and at the end, you saw all the people she swap to it would have felt more clever.

-The Apocalypse back up story is interesting but I am just ready for it to be over and we learn what is the big moment. This part of the story has Apocalypse now starting to devolve and he has a fight with other primitives. And at the end mystery people show up.

- I am really wondering what is the point of these X-men black books if there is some large big picture to be seen. Or they just re-establishing a bunch of X-men antagonists

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Thank you. This is a very good summary and review mate.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Which version of Apocalypse is this?

Fantastic Member

Based on X-Men Gold Annual #2 and the fact that Mystique can be kind of annoying, I was expecting not to like this nearly as much as I did.

A lot of the problem is we only tend to see Mystique or know shes involved once something goes wrong for her or as a hokey reveal a la Gene Parmesan in Arrested Development, but being party to the whole convoluted process was a treat, and made the character far more interesting than when we just see the big Scooby-Doo reveal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Which version of Apocalypse is this?
    Part of the mystery here is that we don't know if this is 616 Apocalypse, who was last seen as a Celestial prisoner, or maybe another version. We haven't actually seen 616 Apocalypse in a decade, so this is pretty interesting if it is him.

One of the guys who showed up at the end had a D on his chest, just like the guy Apocalypse was trying to switch his mind into.

My feeling is that Nur accidently transferred his mutations to the guy when they ended up on that alien planet. This is causing his body to evolve and that man's body to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I didn't see one up. So I will take a stab at it

-The general meat of the issue is about how Mystique as shapeshifter does her job, The issue has her to changing into several people using bits and pieces of information manipulate her way through things as she puts together her plan.

- Her plan is to infiltrate Trask industry and steal some data about Mothervine and as secondary mission save a mutant who trap inside.

-In true ruthless Mystique fashion, her plan leaves a lot of people dead inside of Trask.

- This book isn't super special just a solid story about how Mystique operates. It was trying to convey how she goes the extra mile to learn about her prey and how she uses her ability to get her in where she is needed. Could have been executed a little better but if it was tv show and you didn't know who was suppose to be Mystique and at the end, you saw all the people she swap to it would have felt more clever.

-The Apocalypse back up story is interesting but I am just ready for it to be over and we learn what is the big moment. This part of the story has Apocalypse now starting to devolve and he has a fight with other primitives. And at the end mystery people show up.

- I am really wondering what is the point of these X-men black books if there is some large big picture to be seen. Or they just re-establishing a bunch of X-men antagonists
    Good review. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

It really was a good issue to summarize how Mystique uses her powers to achieve her goals. I took it as sort of a way to take Mystique back to basics in terms of her willingness to fight for mutant rights using her underhanded tactics. I'm glad to see her shown in a competent manner again.

Really, I'd say that all of the X-Men Black one shots read to me as if they are trying to take the various star characters back to their roots I a way. Whether each reader views that as positive will be up to them to decide. That's just my opinion.

I'm with you on wanting the Apocalypse backup story to be over, but as Rosebunse said, the mystery characters were similar to the guy Apocalypse was using at the beginning of the story. So it looks like things might end in an interesting way.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

So what was Mystique’s plan, other than “frame aqua hair girl for mass murder”?
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    So what was Mystique’s plan, other than “frame aqua hair girl for mass murder”?
    Mystique infiltrated the Trask building because the company had data from a fragment of the Mothervine. She went in to steal the fragment if that is what you are asking about?

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    Based on X-Men Gold Annual #2 and the fact that Mystique can be kind of annoying, I was expecting not to like this nearly as much as I did.
    It's kinda weird that they gave Seanan McGuire two X-Men one-shots, but then it's the spider office who gave her an ongoing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Mystique infiltrated the Trask building because the company had data from a fragment of the Mothervine. She went in to steal the fragment if that is what you are asking about?
    Oh, so the server room was her actual mission. Okay.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

I loved how, aside from her mission, she just seems to enjoy randomly screwing with people while shapeshifted.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Good review. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

It really was a good issue to summarize how Mystique uses her powers to achieve her goals. I took it as sort of a way to take Mystique back to basics in terms of her willingness to fight for mutant rights using her underhanded tactics. I'm glad to see her shown in a competent manner again.

Really, I'd say that all of the X-Men Black one shots read to me as if they are trying to take the various star characters back to their roots I a way. Whether each reader views that as positive will be up to them to decide. That's just my opinion.

I'm with you on wanting the Apocalypse backup story to be over, but as Rosebunse said, the mystery characters were similar to the guy Apocalypse was using at the beginning of the story. So it looks like things might end in an interesting way.
    I would have liked this issue a lot more if it didn't seem like Mystique kind of screwed over that young mutant girl for no reason though other than cover her own tracks - because it defeats the entire "purpose" of how we could possibly root for her or sympathize. Like yeah ok she is being "vicious" to random humans but as long as it's mostly "prank level" that is fine and funny actually. But is there a PLAN for all of it or is it just "lol random"? Because I thought she got over her "lol random" phase already.

And if Mystique hadn't killed a bunch of people again for literally no reason - this was almost like "you are not allowed to root for this character, we are going to make you dislike their actions". So heavy handed.

It was just... ugh, unnecessary - could have easily just not shown those humans as seemingly deceased, not have her frame that young mutant. And then it'd be a WAY more nuanced and interesting one-shot.

Part of the "back to basics" as you say (although in many ways Mystique of the 80s was not even like this)

And of course the Magneto 1-shot was nowhere near this oversimplifying

ANd it seems the Emma Frost 1-shot will be the opposite and kind of try to put her more on a path to rejoining X-Men or something along those lines

Mystique just got screwed, she didn't deserve this kind of awful treatment IMO - the positives from this at all were just as you said it did make Mystique look "competent" at least and mostly "in control" (aside from nearly being captured...). It shows how effortlessly she uses her mutation, how she combines basically a keen set of social awareness with it for the total effect. She really is an "artist" at what she does. I just wish... they gave us SOMETHING here we could relate to or root for. Like I would have almost accepted all those guards and everything dying (they worked for Trask after all) if Mystique had ACTUALLY rescued that mutant. THat would have been at least a figleaf or a cover to make this all FEEL justified... but nope they had to even throw that away. Silly

Much better to read her in Weapon X folks just read her in that
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-19-2018 at 02:20 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I really enjoyed this book. Any book focused on Mystique is a must-have for me. But I was kind of disappointed that this book didn't dive too deeply into Mystique's history, which has never been properly explored.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoyed it. It was a fun, day-in-the-life type story that gave new meaning to Mystique's actions. She is very much an artist in how she manipulates, deceives, and uses others for her own ends. It shows why she's such a powerful and menacing villain. I wish there was more than one issue exploring her world, but this was still a fun book.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I've been pretty happy with the X-Men Black one-shots so far, also because I'm so bored with stretched-out storyarcs in the regular books that nice done-in-one's are actually a nice change of pace. But the writing has been pretty good on all one-shots so far and I'm very much looking forward to the Emma one.

BANNED

This was really good. I loved the art and Mystique was refreshing. She was the same manipulative intelligent villain she was 20 years ago. There were a lot of layers in this story to how she was covering her own ass. It makes you want to look at the book in reverse to get everything.