Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes it is. 36 was the final issue and both Blue and Gold got a bump in sales for that yet it was still lower than Red. Even if you were to compare Red to them last year, both books double shipped. At month 8, they were on #16 and Gold did ~39k and Blue, 36k respectively, making the trend comparable
    How does being double shipped increase individual issue sale? I don't get it. Arguably, Red should sell even better because of the hype between each issue. So explain me your take on how having two issues a month mean individual issue sell more than if they were one issue a month.

You still can't compare issue 36 to issue 8, it's just wrong. Unless you have a way to measure the impact of a final issue and of a 36th issue compare to an 8th issue.
    Last edited by Magneto; 10-18-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    How does being double shipped increase individual issue sale? I don't get it. Arguably, Red should sell even better because of the hype between each issue. So explain me your take on how having two issues a month mean individual issue sell more than if they were one issue a month.
    Being double shipped doesn't increase sales per se, but because retailers have to order so far in advance, it can slow the standard sales attrition. So basically the same effect - Marvel sells more books over a longer period of time.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    43. Iceman - 38,902

(via Comichron)
    Standard Marvel tactics. They are overshipping the hell out of this book. My store ordered 10 copies. We got 25. 20 still sitting on the shelves.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You still can't compare issue 36 to issue 8, it's just wrong.
    He meant if you're going to compare the sale trend at X-Men Red #8 the book was on the market for 8 months.
    The equivalent for Gold and Blue should be their 15th and 16th issues since those were their 8-month old issues.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

um
    260 what now?
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Momentum. If a book double ships, people are most likely going to get both issues in that month. All series fall from their #1 but what matters is where it settles out to after initial momentum has dropped which comes with time. Gold and Blue's #8 came 4 months after debut. Heck those issues were both crossovers as well (which 16 was also), which helped contribute to its numbers. Red hasnt had any and has stood on its own

What hype does Red have between issues? There was initial hype as with all new series but a recurring complaint since like #4 has been the slow pacing. I dont see Marvel giving it any extra push or promotion to hype the series up. They actually made it feel irrelevant when they announced Extermination and Uncanny

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    He meant if you're going to compare the sale trend at X-Men Red #8 the book was on the market for 8 months.
    The equivalent for Gold and Blue should be their 15th and 16th issues since those were their 8-month old issues.
    Ditto. No system is perfect but I think looking at trends is better

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Does the number on the issue impact more than the date the volume was launched? I mean, IMO, the buyer doesn't really know that Red issue 8 is part of a 8-month old volume. Just like he doesn't know that Gold issue 16 is 8-month old. But, they do know that one is the 8th issue and the other is the 16th one. I get the momentum part tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Being double shipped doesn't increase sales per se, but because retailers have to order so far in advance, it can slow the standard sales attrition. So basically the same effect - Marvel sells more books over a longer period of time.
    I can get behind that reason. It make sense.
    Last edited by Magneto; 10-18-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Does the number on the issue impact more than the date the volume was launched? I mean, IMO, the buyer doesn't really know that Red issue 8 is part of a 8-month old volume. Just like he doesn't know that Gold issue 16 is 8-month old. But, they do know that one is the 8th issue and the other is the 16th one.
    Most people that read Blue and Gold know that the books double ship. At the end of every issue is a preview that says in two weeks
    . And most people that were reading #16 had been there since the beginning

Most people that read Blue and Gold know that the books double ship. At the end of every issue is a preview that says in two weeks
    I guess its a factor. Don't know how much it's influencing sales tho. If you have a subscription, you'll get the issue no matter what (2 weeks or a month).

BANNED

Extermination #3 was great so I am not surprised it sold well.

but I am surprised Iceman #1 sold well because it was a bit boring.

I suppose Iceman #2 is going to sell better because that was a better story than #1.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

I suppose Iceman #2 is going to sell better because that was a better story than #1.
    It don`t work like this.
    Iceman 2 will sold 25k maximum. #2 always has huge drops.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

If you thought #1 was boring, why would #2 d better? Other people that found it boring and disappointing will tune out and #2 will drop

I guess its a factor. Don't know how much it's influencing sales tho. If you have a subscription, you'll get the issue no matter what (2 weeks or a month).
    In this particular situation you can't really compare #8's..Gold #8 And Blue #8 we're Secret Empire tie-ins

BANNED

If you thought #1 was boring, why would #2 d better? Other people that found it boring and disappointing will tune out and #2 will drop
    The reason that the first vol TPB sold well was because of the interesting gay stories that weren't told before in comics.

Ish #1 doesn't have any new storyline, it was the same old Morlocks story.

Ish #2 has an interesting gay story that I've never heard of and it revolves around Emma's family so Emma and gay fans would buy ish #2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome, thank you for compiling & posting the data on the number of copies shipped to retailers, for the X-Men/Mutant books.

I agree that the 8-month marker is probably the fairest & truest comparison, for how the various team books have performed in relation to each other. With that said, let's take a look again:

Nov., '17
    42. X-Men Gold #15 - 39,997
    44. X-Men Gold #16 - 39,126
    50. X-Men Blue #15 - 36,204
    51. Weapon X #11 - 36,037
    54. X-Men Blue #16 - 34,540

Feb., '18
    55. Astonishing X-Men #8 - 31,786

Sept., '18
    42. X-Men Red #8 - 39,763

... as sourced from http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html.

The biggest disparity lies between Gold 15 & Astonishing 8, at -8,211, or about -20%. So, the lowest of the group, still did about 80% of what the best could manage. Notable, but hardly alarming, and not really worth bragging about. In fact, I'd say mostly negligible, as they're roughly ALL in the same target area placement-wise (i.e., 42-55, of the Top 100 listings). And remember, we're supposed to be on the same team, here.