Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Legit X-Ship Question

What's with all the yaoi/yuri crack ships? I've never seen much within the X-fandom until I came to these boards. Can somebody please explain? Is it all one big meme or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Cape View Post
    What's with all the yaoi/yuri crack ships? I've never seen much within the X-fandom until I came to these boards. Can somebody please explain? Is it all one big meme or something?
    Eh. You find it everywhere, whether it's Frodo/Sam or Kirk/Spock. I don't really get it, either.

Hey, lets not call nonstraight ships "yaoi/yuri," how about that? Better question is why do you feel the need to point out all the supposed gay "crack ships"?

It usually happens when 2 characthers of the same gender have a great and emotionally intense dynamic, but they either just friends or sibling-like. Is more common if the actual romantic interest is not very interesting or their dynamic is lacking and little to no compelling. To be fair this happens with some straigth ships too.

Also there is a hunger for more LGTB representation in media so fans with overeactive imagination can go to far and then you get into matters like subtext and some writers playing with fans expectatives a bit (fandom perception usually reach canon to an extent). Personally i don't mind, but fans can carry it a tad too farn(wicht happens in all fandoms)

P.S: Well....at least that's how i see it, i could be wrong.

I don't think the OP was trying to be offensive or anything. It's a legitimate question.

I spent a good part of my teen years online being a part of different fandoms (in the early 2000s) and shipping wasn't a thing back then. And now it seems like it's a pretty big part of being a fan of something (whether it's straight, LGBT, canon or not). I totally get the need for more representation, and I think there are some very creative things that come from people shipping characters together, but I guess I don't really get what's fun about it. Maybe I'm too old

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Make that two of us could be wrong.

I'm bored to tears with most authors' attempts to pair certain X-Men with each other. Especially Nightcrawler.

Most of my ships are based on friction meant to refine each individual's strengths, rather than develop "power couples". Like lesbian Rayana, whose interactions would exemplify hot and cold personalities... and the accompanying but more illicit str8 pair Rayotr, which would be purely objective physicality. Icefire only looks like a hot and cold mix, when it's really about two men recognizing, and then accepting or denying a shared self-realization. M-Spot is the only legit straight ship I have that's based on assumed sexual chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I don't think the OP was trying to be offensive or anything. It's a legitimate question.

I spent a good part of my teen years online being a part of different fandoms (in the early 2000s) and shipping wasn't a thing back then. And now it seems like it's a pretty big part of being a fan of something (whether it's straight, LGBT, canon or not). I totally get the need for more representation, and I think there are some very creative things that come from people shipping characters together, but I guess I don't really get what's fun about it. Maybe I'm too old
    That depended entirely on which fandoms you were part of. I can think of several fandoms I was in back in the day where there were certain favored pairings, but not a lot of hardcore 'shipping. And then there were others where the 'ship wars were so intense that liking the "wrong" pairing could literally get you kicked out of online fandom spaces. (Gundam Wing and Harry Potter both come to mind.) It's not that different now, but it seems like there's a lot of added emphasis on different factions "proving" their 'ship is/will be canon and flouncing out of the fandom if they turn out wrong. I suspect easier access to creators has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    That depended entirely on which fandoms you were part of. I can think of several fandoms I was in back in the day where there were certain favored pairings, but not a lot of hardcore 'shipping. And then there were others where the 'ship wars were so intense that liking the "wrong" pairing could literally get you kicked out of online fandom spaces. (Gundam Wing and Harry Potter both come to mind.) It's not that different now, but it seems like there's a lot of added emphasis on different factions "proving" their 'ship is/will be canon and flouncing out of the fandom if they turn out wrong. I suspect easier access to creators has something to do with it.
    Ah man, some of the stuff that i h3ard about Gundam Wing fandom really scared me and i'm not even part of it.

So let me get this straight.
    First you create a thread about "unlikely X-ships" and somehow you were surprised that so many of them were queer relationships.
    So you decided to make another thread where you called them yaoi/yuri ships like you're writing straight from some 2003 anime message board.

Fandom is a lot gayer than you seem to realize, the fans and what they create

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

It's not just gay ships. Straight ships too.

Some ship characters when they like the dynamic, or just the idea of how they could mesh.

Lots of friendships have shippers for more. Same-sex or het.

Extraordinary Member

I've long learned to accept that every ship that can exist, will exist. It's the passion behind the ships and anger at those who have a different ship for one of the characters involved or for those who aren't into the ship to begin with. For instance, what does it matter who Katara or Hermione end up with? Why reduce the entire franchise down to just that?
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Is it really so difficult to understand that queer fans would prefer queer ships? And the X-Men have a pretty large queer fanbase because the mutant metaphor is easily interpreted as implicitly queer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I spent a good part of my teen years online being a part of different fandoms (in the early 2000s) and shipping wasn't a thing back then.
    I don't think that shipping is a new or recent trend. It's more that it was perceived as a feminine interest and associated with women in fandom and most fanspaces were dominated by straight men who either regarded it derisively or dismissively.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't think that shipping is a new or recent trend. It's more that it was perceived as a feminine interest and associated with women in fandom and most fanspaces were dominated by straight men who either regarded it derisively or dismissively.
    I don't know, I'm a woman and I spent pretty much the entire 2000 decade online fangirling over Star Wars and other fandoms. With other teen girls. And shipping was never a part of it. I feel like it's been around for longer than I realized, but it's definitely something that has gotten much bigger over time. I'm wondering if it's because social media became more popular than message boards and it's easier to get into niches with really specific content on social media.

Ok so - for those who are into ships - does it make the X-Men (or whatever you're into) more fun? Or does it make the comics more excruciating because it doesn't look like your ideal couple is going to get together?

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Hey, lets not call nonstraight ships "yaoi/yuri," how about that? Better question is why do you feel the need to point out all the supposed gay "crack ships"?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    So let me get this straight.
    First you create a thread about "unlikely X-ships" and somehow you were surprised that so many of them were queer relationships.
    So you decided to make another thread where you called them yaoi/yuri ships like you're writing straight from some 2003 anime message board.

Fandom is a lot gayer than you seem to realize, the fans and what they create
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post

Is it really so difficult to understand that queer fans would prefer queer ships? And the X-Men have a pretty large queer fanbase because the mutant metaphor is easily interpreted as implicitly queer.

Notice: When I use the phrases "yaoi" or "yuri" I mean no offense, I simply use them to refer to LGBT crack ships due to spending a lot of time on manga boards. Additionally, I only asked this question out of legitimate curiosity, because I've never seen something like this from a comic fandom, and was legitimately curious about this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It usually happens when 2 characthers of the same gender have a great and emotionally intense dynamic, but they either just friends or sibling-like. Is more common if the actual romantic interest is not very interesting or their dynamic is lacking and little to no compelling. To be fair this happens with some straigth ships too.

Also there is a hunger for more LGTB representation in media so fans with overeactive imagination can go to far and then you get into matters like subtext and some writers playing with fans expectatives a bit (fandom perception usually reach canon to an extent). Personally i don't mind, but fans can carry it a tad too farn(wicht happens in all fandoms)

Good points there tbh. Thanks.
    Last edited by Colt Cape; 10-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

BANNED

Notice: When I use the phrases "yaoi" or "yuri" I mean no offense, I simply use them to refer to LGBT crack ships due to spending a lot of time on manga boards. Additionally, I only asked this question out of legitimate curiosity, because I've never seen something like this from a comic fandom, and was legitimately curious about this topic.
    Yuri is the purest form of love, it'll naturally spawn more ships

Also I'm pretty sure OP used yuri / yaoi because manga has dedicated genres to lesbian /gay stories, unlike American comics

PD : yuri rocks
    Last edited by wano; 10-18-2018 at 02:52 PM.