Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Astonishing Member

Y'know, I hadn't thought about it that way, but they're right.

Thanks for posting this because I'm the one who wrote it. Yes, I am Jack Fisher.

Of all the articles I've written for PopMatters, this one is definitely a personal favorite. Thanks again and I hope others check it out as well.
    Last edited by MarvelMaster616; 08-05-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

"Break his jaw, baby!" might be my favorite thing Jean Grey has ever said.

It does highlight how relationships can be so satisfying if the creators just give them room to breathe rather than pile on the drama for fear the readers will lose interest. Comics are a form of escapism, but many fans look up to these characters as inspiring role models. And since most of the readership would probably like to end up in some form of a relationship eventually, it'd be nice to see more depictions of romance where the couples actually function.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Great article. Just makes me sadder that this is in the lousy 92 series.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I love you Jack Fisher for all of the love and support you have given Scott and Jean over the years. I wish Marvel would hire you as a writer since you seem to be one of the few who actually gets these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Thanks for posting this because I'm the one who wrote it. Yes, I am Jack Fisher.

Of all the articles I've written for PopMatters, this one is definitely a personal favorite. Thanks again and I hope others check it out as well.
    You are welcome

Oh! When I read it, I really thought it sounded like either you or the other guy who's also constantly talking about supporting X-Men '92.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    "Break his jaw, baby!" might be my favorite thing Jean Grey has ever said.

It does highlight how relationships can be so satisfying if the creators just give them room to breathe rather than pile on the drama for fear the readers will lose interest. Comics are a form of escapism, but many fans look up to these characters as inspiring role models. And since most of the readership would probably like to end up in some form of a relationship eventually, it'd be nice to see more depictions of romance where the couples actually function.
    Agreed. In that one panel with that one quote, it encapsulates the true potential and power of the Cyclops/Jean romance. It's tragic in some ways because that's a potential Marvel has basically ignored or squandered completely and not just because Jean Grey is dead. Marvel seems to have a genuine problem with romance in their comics. They only know how to approach it two ways. Either a couple is in the process of hooking up or in the process of breaking up, either by a love triangle or personal drama. Those aren't the only ways to make romance interesting. Bowers and Sims didn't try to force drama into the relationship, like Singer and Ratner did in the X-men movies. They focused on showing them as a functioning relationship between two heroes. And it worked. It's one of those things that shouldn't be such a radical concept, but it is, given how Marvel has destroyed so many of its iconic romances. It's really sad, especially since DC seems to have gotten so much better at it in recent years.

I hope some at Marvel take note. It would be nice if at least ONE iconic romance becomes functional. If I can do it in X-men Supreme, then Marvel has no excuses. I'm nowhere near as smart or talented as the writers at Marvel. If I were, they would've done what I've done with X-men Supreme years ago. I hope this comic helps prove the concept, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I love you Jack Fisher for all of the love and support you have given Scott and Jean over the years. I wish Marvel would hire you as a writer since you seem to be one of the few who actually gets these 2.
    Aw, thanks man!

Believe me, I'd jump at the chance to write X-men comics for Marvel. But like I said, I don't pretend that I'm as talented or smart as the guys working there. I work under the assumption that if my stuff was really that good, Marvel would've done it already. That doesn't stop me from making my X-men Supreme work as awesome as it can be. That includes developing relationships like Cyclops/Jean in a meaningful, mature kind of way. I hope one day Marvel will change their current approach to this romance and romances in general. Because right now, it's pretty bleak on the romantic front. And in my opinion, a world without love is a world with limited appeal.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Also, I'd like to thank everyone on this thread and board who liked this article on Facebook. At the moment, it has about 89 likes. That's a pretty big deal for me because on average, my reviews get between 10 and 15. I count the ones that get 20 as exceedingly lucky. But this one more than quadrupled that. So thanks guys! I really appreciate the support.

BANNED

Also, I'd like to thank everyone on this thread and board who liked this article on Facebook. At the moment, it has about 89 likes. That's a pretty big deal for me because on average, my reviews get between 10 and 15. I count the ones that get 20 as exceedingly lucky. But this one more than quadrupled that. So thanks guys! I really appreciate the support.
    Jack you're a real bro, back when I was reading anxm and Cyke solo half the fun was reading the comics and the other half was reading your review.
    I'm sure you can become a marvel writer with no problem... I mean... Sam Humphries... Well read these articles
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/...teven-sanders/
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...eal-at-marvel/
    The guy destroyed the ultimate universe, made starkat, turned psylocke bi, made pym cool again, wrote the black vortex under bendis pen , then ruined starkat again and now he's writing green lanterns and people love it. And all of that because dogs... So stay determined, and remember that all of us support you.
    Last edited by somacula; 08-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Jack you're a real bro, back when I was reading anxm and Cyke solo half the fun was reading the comics and the other half was reading your review.
    I'm sure you can become a marvel writer with no problem... I mean... Sam Humphries... Well read these articles
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/...teven-sanders/
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...eal-at-marvel/
    The guy destroyed the ultimate universe, made starkat, turned psylocke bi, made pym cool again, wrote the black vortex under bendis pen , then ruined starkat again and now he's writing green lanterns and people love it. And all of that because dogs... So stay determined, and remember that all of us support you.
    Thanks! Glad my reviews add some entertainment value. I know sometimes the X-men comics can get pretty depressing. I do my best to lighten the mood with my reviews. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

As for becoming a writer, I am making an effort. Right now, I have seven self-published books, but I'm trying to get a publisher to sign me. That's the only way for me to really rise my profile enough to get the attention of other companies like Marvel. I can't draw, but I can write. I'm sending out manuscripts to agents and publishers as often as I can. So far, I've gotten no luck. I don't know what path Sam Humphries took. I do hope that my work on these reviews and my writing will pay off down the line. For now, I'll gladly get my writing out there with reviews like this.

And after my latest check, it's up to 121 likes. Again, that's a pretty big deal for me. The most likes I've ever gotten for a previous post was around 53. This is almost double that. It says a lot about X-men 92 and the issue I reviewed. Thanks again for all the support, guys! It really does mean a lot to me.

I think couples can be difficult and damaging to the character(s) too though. I mean, I feel if Jean hadn't been Phoenixed she would had fallen under the "Cyclops' girlfriend" banner. She used to be represented as the underdog and least powerful member of the x-men in spite of having strong powers.

Look at Mary Jane, it took her a while to dig her way out of the Lois Lane shtick where she needs to be saved 24/7.

There's others like Emma Frost who have suffered from this in a different way, when she first started to get coupled with Cyclops her characterization was pretty much barely there, she had been a villain with simple minded motives and now she was going to the good side. But before she got a chance to have her own storylines and grow as a character she got paired with Cyclops and her "growth" became tied to him. Till this day she still needs to come out from under that shadow.

But I also think the lack of new iconic romances is due to how forced they tend to become on storylines now or just for the "shock" factor. See Thor/Sam Wilson, Carol/WarMachine, IronMan/MJ.

There's also just way too many events that they don't let writers continue on their previous storylines. Its rare now for a comic to get to #20 before Marvel reboots the series with a new Volume and direction.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

This was a wonderful read and I agree so much.

Thanks, MarvelMaster616.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    I think couples can be difficult and damaging to the character(s) too though. I mean, I feel if Jean hadn't been Phoenixed she would had fallen under the "Cyclops' girlfriend" banner. She used to be represented as the underdog and least powerful member of the x-men in spite of having strong powers.
    This wasn't because of the Phoenix or the storyline of the Phoenix, it was in spite of it and everything that came after it. It was a direct response to everything that came before it. Outside of Angel, because all he had were wings, when the X-Men were initially created she was portrayed as the weakest team member. Cyclops' girlfriend. And that's where the 90's cartoon picked it up from.

All throughout the 70's, 80's and a lot of the 90's Jean's characterization was about her reclaiming who she was as a person and deliberately not wanting to be that damsel in distress. That was literally the point of Grant Morrison's new x-men, even if it led to editorial demanding she stay dead.

It definitely wasn't because of the Phoenix that she played the girlfriend and damsel roles.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 08-06-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey