Default Preview: Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #1

Read it here: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...host-spider-1/

I was worried without Robbi Rodriguez drawing I'd dislike it but...it's growing on me. Also interested to see what Seanan McGuire pulls off.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

They should consider changing the color palette. It feels like it was a pretty specific complement to Rodriguez's art.

BANNED

So much for Gwen embracing her current codename, she's already sick of hearing it. Like Annie with Spiderling.

Perhaps they can cover why Gwen wants to recode herself. In the past for non readers many times commented how silly it was to have a codename 'Spider-Gwen' when having a secret identity not understanding that was just the series title and not her code name at the time. Perhaps Gwen feels that name lacks creativity (slap my name on the back easy) or Gwen wants a codename that while the people know she is Gwen Stacy Gwen wants to showcase she is complicated person thus she is Gwen Stacy plus more and that more being apart of her codename. To showcase herself as a two sided coin that each image can establish a different feeling yet the same coin being held. Maybe she was fine with it but feels it's currently not right fit for her now and she has a hard time thinking herself as such codename as a identity when looking in the mirror and wants one she feels fitting moreso. She sees herself as a 'Spider' as shown in this intro but looking for the other half to feel competed and unique.

Now in the text information it mentions about her spider powers but lacks info to her symbiote powers (camouflage and gooey pet spiders emitted from her body to watch over her friends) as well. I hope the writer will not go into the past norm negative ways I've seen presenting 'the symbiote' that is now a partner and being trained by her. I liked that Lacour didn't remove it like many thought would happen in the end and instead went in a new direction and even presented a 617 Gwen where her and her partner symbiote was presented positivity.

Plus with issue 4 we will have to see what results come from this arc and new one of a kind power (which will probably affect her into claiming and seeing herself with the code name "Ghost-Spider"). I hope we don't lose Earth-65 and her cast as her cast can further be developed and explored plus many great characters are not great by themselves but by the strong cast they are involved with and apart of their world.

The art reminds me of Sara Pichelli and Veronica Fish.

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure about it, but I believe Spider-Gwen's "new power" could be involved with the deceased spiders from Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon. In fact, how about if her new ability is, somehow, communicating or summoning the spirit of the fallen spiders?

Either way, I wish for the fallen Spiders to be restored somehow in the end, because killing both Spider Noir and Spider-UK has been too much.

I'm really excited for this to get started. I'm with a lot of people who want some things answered, including why she wants to change her name from Spider-Gwen after her apparent enthusiasm for it in the last issue. But honestly I'm just happy to be able to read a Spider-Gwen solo again.

how do people of her world even know her as "spider-gwen"? i thought she was "spider-woman" over there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how do people of her world even know her as "spider-gwen"? i thought she was "spider-woman" over there.
    They started calling her that after her identity became public.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I'm not sure about it, but I believe Spider-Gwen's "new power" could be involved with the deceased spiders from Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon. In fact, how about if her new ability is, somehow, communicating or summoning the spirit of the fallen spiders?

Either way, I wish for the fallen Spiders to be restored somehow in the end, because killing both Spider Noir and Spider-UK has been too much.

I wonder with people commenting about how possibly she might see or be involved with the dead in link to her possible new powers if it's really just Spiders. Gwen is a Totem Spider so she has a spiritual connection to the Spider heroes thus maybe that is how it might work but that also written she has also a 2nd spiritual connection totem with all Gwen Stacys of the Multiverse. We know how in the past and even now (sometimes as a joke like Kenny by some writers) how many Gwen Stacys suffer a tragedy to the point 617 Gwen is making a team of Gwens she saved to research the Multiverse and to see if there is a reason this was happening. Earth-65 Gwen Stacy isn't just a SPider but also a totem Gwen Stacy thus maybe she will be involved with dead Gwens of the Multiverse (including seeing without questions the return but now back from the dead 616 Gwen after decades gone making a present appearance). Thats if her powers are her connections to all Totems this one Gwen is linked to (and if it's shared with her symbiote also other dead symbiotes linked?).

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    They started calling her that after her identity became public.
    Not gonna lie, it was a pretty contrived notion that they started calling her Spider-Gwen in the first place. I mean people know plenty of heroes' identities and they still call them by their hero name and not what was originally the fan nickname. It was pretty cringeworthy if you ask me.