Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What are your thoughts on JM Dematteis's Dr. Fate?

I read the first 24 or so issues of the late eighties Dr. FATE series quite some time ago. and I have had fond memories of it However, I reread it recently, and trying to divorce myself from purely nostalgic rationale, I can't help but think this run was a bit of a mess. There were too many supportingcharacters, so much so that the book never had the space to focus on Eric and Linda, and the attempt at humor ignited a homicidal rage inside me.

What did you think of the 80s Dr. Fate series?

Also of note, before the series was cancelled, J.M. Dematteis was replaced on the book with William Messner Loebs. I read the first few issues, and quite frankly I was not impressed. Should I read further?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-19-2018 at 08:38 AM.

I didn't like it. I was a huge Dr Fate fan ... he was always my favourite JSA character ... but that series really didn't do it for me. Read a couple issues and stopped. Never felt the desire to go back and give it a second look.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I haven't re-read it in years, but I still have fond memories. I agree that there was a large supporting cast, but I don't recall it being a detriment to Eric & Linda. I do remember it took me a while to really get into the first time around; maybe if you give it a re-read down the road you'll find more to appreciate.

As far as Messner-Loebs run goes, I remember liking it right away. It wasn't groundbreaking by any means, but it was a nice change of pace from what came before. There's not much from Loebs that I don't like, however. He's an underrated favorite for sure!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm slowly working my way through the DeMatties/Sook/Breyfogle Spectre run and it seems to be hitting a lot of the same beats. DeMatties is definitely obsessed with New Agey spirituality that comes out any time he's on cosmic-level characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I didn't like it. I was a huge Dr Fate fan ... he was always my favourite JSA character ... but that series really didn't do it for me. Read a couple issues and stopped. Never felt the desire to go back and give it a second look.
    I'm a Dr. Fate fan as well, I didn't think Dematteis's run captured the character's essence and appeal. If you did not like this run, what Dr. Fate stories would you recommend?