Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He was out of shape because he was well over 50 years old. But also far from his jumpsuit days were Action volume two and the golden age

And the silver age

But while I think the post Underworld Unleashed/Clancy Brown Lex is ideal in many ways, I think his character allows him to look like all sorts of things without having his concept compromised. I don't think the era really affects it so much, especially when every other villain is giant and he's the one who doesn't go toe to toe.
    What issue is that with superman fighting lex? Thank you in advance

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That was a pretty famous comic, Superman #164, where he gained a planet of his own complete with a red sun effect on Superman.

I guess you can say that Lex has evolved past that, but I don't personally believe characters can't work with their original traits. Like how they tried various jobs to get rid of the newspaper reporting and it always came back. By the same token, they tried to make Lex ugly on the outside with the scarred face, and it absolutely made sense that he just had surgery to get rid of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That was a pretty famous comic, Superman #164, where he gained a planet of his own complete with a red sun effect on Superman.

I guess you can say that Lex has evolved past that, but I don't personally believe characters can't work with their original traits. Like how they tried various jobs to get rid of the newspaper reporting and it always came back. By the same token, they tried to make Lex ugly on the outside with the scarred face, and it absolutely made sense that he just had surgery to get rid of that.
    I hated the scars at the time, far too Two-Face like. But in retrospect, I like that Lex suffered a serious injury fighting Clark. Of course he got it fixed, but I like that it happened. It makes Lex's rivalry with Clark feel more visceral and real, and it up's the stakes on several levels, for both of them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Gene Hackman.
    That's cold, heh. That said, there's something about Eisenberg's on screen presence... I wouldn't say he's ugly or anything, but he has a way of making me want to punch him, and it's not like I feel that way about all Hollywood villains. Let's just say he probably doesn't qualify as classically or traditionally handsome, either.

I think if you're going to push the businessman angle, probably being "handsome" helps his villainous image. It gives his a certain vanity and meticulousness... reminds me of how in the Netflix Daredevil how Kingpin would so methodically go through his morning routine. And while I'm rambling, that Kingpin reminds me of Man of Steel because of Ayelet Zurer.

Jon Cryer is Lex Luthor on the CW Supergirl....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ergirl-1162053

It feels like a big downgrade from Michael Rosenbaum to Jon Cryer, imo... I hate this casting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Jon Cryer is Lex Luthor on the CW Supergirl....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ergirl-1162053

It feels like a big downgrade from Michael Rosenbaum to Jon Cryer, imo... I hate this casting so far.
    I only know him from his work in two and half men I cant find Alan intimidating or a treat to Superman at all

Retired

I haven't been watching SUPERGIRL this season--plan to binge later, so no spoilers--but Jon Cryer was born in 1965 and Brenda Strong was born in 1960, so I wonder how that works. Acting, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I only know him from his work in two and half men I cant find Alan intimidating or a treat to Superman at all
    yeah, Lex Luthor should be able to command the screen with his mere presence...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't been watching SUPERGIRL this season--plan to binge later, so no spoilers--but Jon Cryer was born in 1965 and Brenda Strong was born in 1960, so I wonder how that works. Acting, I guess.
    yeah acting. I just don't see any resemblance between Brenda Strong (who is gorgeous and very distinguished, imo) and Cryer.. He doesn't look like her son.

Retired

But he does look like a Luthor's nephew--

Mighty Member

Somewhere in the multiverse, Luthor is a grumpy landlord named Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Somewhere in the multiverse, Luthor is a grumpy landlord named Fred.
    And he's going to charge you for having to replace the burned out dish washer.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Didn't they already try that post-crisis? They had Luthor inhabit a young version of his body (I think his original was damaged by long-term exposure to kryptonite).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When I think of Lex this is what always comes to mind.