Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should modern Lex Luthor be handsome?

He's coming to the Supergirl show.. but do you think modern Lex should be very attractive or just average?

I think it makes sense that Lex could be quite handsome and in great shape physically. He's some of the best human specimens that we have to offer in that capacity. He should be a somewhat charming dude when he wants to be. When it works for his goals.

Does it really matter? I couldn't care less what Lex looks like as long as he has all the personality traits and character background that make him Lex Luthor.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-18-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I prefer the young, physically fit modern Lex over the fat and old Byrne Lex. I feel like that suits his ego better as someone who has to prove he can do anything Superman can - but better.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I prefer the young, physically fit modern Lex over the day and old Byrne Lex. I feel like that suits his ego better as someone who has to prove he can anything Superman can - but better.
    I agree. Lex should definitely have such an ego that he'd want to look the best. If he some day is going to fight Superman, he should be very fit. A fat Lex makes no sense these days. I also like the idea that he is attractive. It's one way why women follow him, but not all. He can't make Lois love him.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

He was out of shape because he was well over 50 years old. But also far from his jumpsuit days were Action volume two and the golden age

And the silver age

But while I think the post Underworld Unleashed/Clancy Brown Lex is ideal in many ways, I think his character allows him to look like all sorts of things without having his concept compromised. I don't think the era really affects it so much, especially when every other villain is giant and he's the one who doesn't go toe to toe.

Retired

When has Lex Luthor been anything but handsome?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yes but in a rugged way. His overall look and persona should contribute more to his male attractiveness than his actual facial features.

uh... kind of a non-issue for me. But I guess if Lena is in her 30s, then Lex would be, what, mid-40s at the latest? Body positive messaging today aside, I doubt they'd go with an "out of shape"/dad-body version.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I prefer the young, physically fit modern Lex over the fat and old Byrne Lex. I feel like that suits his ego better as someone who has to prove he can do anything Superman can - but better.
    Yeah, I like a handsome Lex too. In All-Star Superman, Lex prides himself in achieving physical strength through hard work, not through alien biochemistry. In Scott Lobdell's era, Lex got a facial scar, for whatever reason. It didn't serve any purpose other than make Lex look unnecessarily creepy. Lex doesn't need a facial deformity to look scary, he can do that through sheer attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Yeah, I like a handsome Lex too. In All-Star Superman, Lex prides himself in achieving physical strength through hard work, not through alien biochemistry. In Scott Lobdell's era, Lex got a facial scar, for whatever reason. It didn't serve any purpose other than make Lex look unnecessarily creepy. Lex doesn't need a facial deformity to look scary, he can do that through sheer attitude.
    Agreed. Lex is cold and cunning. He doesn't care if he hurts someone to achieve his main goals. Like Lex in BvS when he allowed his trusted assistant to die in the senate just to frame Superman even more.

When I think of Lex, the first image is Lex from Superfriends and the JL animated series. Lex is so versatile, he can be many things and still be threatening. The JL did him best so far I think. the whole spectrum.

I also happen to really like Jesse Eisenberg Lex as an origin for the character. He was a bit too neurotic, but he got the job done. I can imagine that this Lex had big traumas growing up with an abusive father, but I can see him overcoming that in some way and becoming the Lex from BvS and later the more modern and cold Lex we know now as seen in the JL deleted scene.

Absolutely.

In terms of looks and physique, Lex Luthor = Bald Evil Bruce Wayne.

Yeah, I definitely think of Luthor as handsome. It really goes ahead for his whole "I am the pinnacle of human perfection" thing if he's not just very fit but also very attractive. I kind of like the Morrison idea that Lex is a little bit out of shape at first (though hardly to Byrne levels) and then starts working out more in response to meeting Superman.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I think that yes, Lex should be in excellent shape. His ego wouldn't allow for anything else. But I like the idea Morrison used in the New52; originally Lex wasn't a physical paragon, and he drank too many energy drinks, and he was kinda soft around the middle.....but Superman drives Lex to improve his eating habits and start lifting weights. I like the idea that Superman inspires everyone, even his enemies, to live better and I think it's an irony that is totally lost on Lex himself.

As for whether he should be handsome....I think he should have fairly average facial features. Neither stand-out ugly nor handsome. But he indulges in enough man-scaping to make what he's got work for him. But I think the majority of his appeal would come from how he carries and handles himself, not from how pretty he is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, Lex shouldn't be more handsome than Clark/Superman. But he knows how to carry himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When has Lex Luthor been anything but handsome?
    Gene Hackman.