Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I think they are consistent, Guggs Gold was a exception

Marvel get claremont back writing!!!

JK. Editors should do their job to keep things consistent
    Exactly. Jean and Rachel's relationship has been fairly consistent since the late 80s and IA that Guggs is the exception but then again most of his characters were written out of character

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I don't get what Marvel wants of Jean and Rachel. Some times they act like they think of the other as mother/daughter and other times dont. Wish they were more consistent.
    They are consistent though. That one line from Guggs was an exception and best ignored

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Art's gorgeous per usual. Red really had a stellar rotation of artists. Can't wait to see Jean Vs Rachel and Nova.
    It's a shame that Carmen Carnero has been placed on the latest Captain Marvel relaunch, her work was outstanding. I had hoped she would be on another X-book.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Exactly. Jean and Rachel's relationship has been fairly consistent since the late 80s and IA that Guggs is the exception but then again most of his characters were written out of character

They are consistent though. That one line from Guggs was an exception and best ignored
    I'd argue everything about Gold should be ignored.

I wonder how much the most recent relaunch affected the trajectory of Red; there's so much that, if Taylor knew about the limited nature of his run, is so superfluous that it substantially hurts the book. How many issues will Red ultimately have? How much of the run will have been wasted setting up a team that did nothing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I wonder how much the most recent relaunch affected the trajectory of Red; there's so much that, if Taylor knew about the limited nature of his run, is so superfluous that it substantially hurts the book. How many issues will Red ultimately have? How much of the run will have been wasted setting up a team that did nothing?
    Taylor said earlier this year that he would be working during one year in the X-Line, I think. Not sure if it was an interview or tweet, but I'll look for it.

Point is, Red was planned to end in 2018 if I'm remembering right. So, most of the things that would hurt the pace are on Taylor since he planned it like this.

I wanted to counter your last statement, but I think I understand now. It's basically that "the team" itself did relatively little, so I guess it's a valid complaint. But the fact that Jean and Taylor's merry OCs actually helped hindering an apocalyptic plan by Cassandra is a big thing. It's been ignored by everyone else, but it still exists.
    Last edited by PrezValentine; 10-21-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Taylor said earlier this year that he would be working during one year in the X-Line, I think. Not sure if it was an interview or tweet, but I'll look for it.

Point is, Red was planned to end in 2018 if I'm remembering right. So, most of the things that would hurt the pace are on Taylor since he planned it like this.

I wanted to counter your last statement, but I think I understand now. It's basically that "the team" itself did relatively little, so I guess it's a valid complaint. But the fact that Jean and Taylor's merry OCs actually helped an apocalyptic plan by Cassandra is a big thing. It's been ignored by everyone else, but it still exists.
    What do you mean they helped Cassandra? I think I'm missing something too.

And yeah, the "team" is basically a great big nothing, there was so much wasted space given to bringing them together instead of tightening the pacing and truly building up Cassandra to a proper threat. At this point, there's no tension in the story at all and we're nearing the finale.

BANNED

What do you mean they helped Cassandra? I think I'm missing something too.

And yeah, the "team" is basically a great big nothing, there was so much wasted space given to bringing them together instead of tightening the pacing and truly building up Cassandra to a proper threat. At this point, there's no tension in the story at all and we're nearing the finale.
    Edited. I meant they helped hindering the plan.

And yeah, I can see your point. Looking back, Taylor made some choices that really don't benefit the story when you read it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Edited. I meant they helped hindering the plan.

And yeah, I can see your point. Looking back, Taylor made some choices that really don't benefit the story when you read it all at once.
    He could have better paced the story by having a small team of only Jean, Trinary, Laura, and Gabby. The remaining team members only served superfluous functions and limitation would have led to a better story in this case.

He could have better paced the story by having a small team of only Jean, Trinary, Laura, and Gabby. The remaining team members only served superfluous functions and limitation would have led to a better story in this case.
    You seriously think Gabby has a more important role than Ororo or Nezhno? I have to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    You seriously think Gabby has a more important role than Ororo or Nezhno? I have to laugh.
    Gabby actually served a vital function in the context of the story - until Laura had to take over. I don't even really like her, but she's attached to Laura (and Taylor) and Trinary was always going to be on the team.

Storm? Her contribution was flooding Genosha (which apparently shouldn't be around anymore), and that's it. If she weren't on the team then their having to solve things another way would have resulted in heightened tension and a better story.

Nezhno? What has he done?

And now Cassandra is going to send yet another close friend/family member against Jean? Here's hoping Taylor has more up his sleeve than ripping himself off in his own run.

Gabby actually served a vital function in the context of the story - until Laura had to take over. I don't even really like her, but she's attached to Laura (and Taylor) and Trinary was always going to be on the team.

Storm? Her contribution was flooding Genosha (which apparently shouldn't be around anymore), and that's it. If she weren't on the team then their having to solve things another way would have resulted in heightened tension and a better story.

Nezhno? What has he done?

And now Cassandra is going to send yet another close friend/family member against Jean? Here's hoping Taylor has more up his sleeve than ripping himself off in his own run.
    Gentle stopped Storm from killing herself. Mainly took down Teen Abomination, who was ripping Atlantis apart.

And if you think the entire point of the "flooding Genosha" scene was just that, I'm gonna have to ask you to read that issue again. Jean, Trinary, and co wouldn't have been able to pull off taking down all the Sentinites as they were distracted by the telepathic onslaught from Cassandra.

Those two solved actual plot threads in the series. Gentle with stopping Storm and, in conjunction, ending the Assault on Atlantis. Storm with helping the team end the Sentinite Threat. But ofc Taylor could have better utilized both characters and given them much bigger roles in the story, but to say that Gabby has done more than those two is ridiculous. She's had more liens, but as far as the narrative goes, she's just slapstick humor to lighten the dark tone of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Gentle stopped Storm from killing herself. Mainly took down Teen Abomination, who was ripping Atlantis apart.

And if you think the entire point of the "flooding Genosha" scene was just that, I'm gonna have to ask you to read that issue again. Jean, Trinary, and co wouldn't have been able to pull off taking down all the Sentinites as they were distracted by the telepathic onslaught from Cassandra.

Those two solved actual plot threads in the series. Gentle with stopping Storm and, in conjunction, ending the Assault on Atlantis. Storm with helping the team end the Sentinite Threat. But ofc Taylor could have better utilized both characters and given them much bigger roles in the story, but to say that Gabby has done more than those two is ridiculous. She's had more liens, but as far as the narrative goes, she's just slapstick humor to lighten the dark tone of the series.
    I didn't think it was the entire point, but Taylor had to contrive scenarios to half-heartedly attempt to justify the lineup. The immediate problem was the Sentinites, and Jean, Trinary, Laura, and Gabby were the only absolutely necessary components for the solution. Cassandra's two-pronged attack was the perfect opportunity to truly test the team, but they had very simple counters that cost them basically nothing and didn't really challenge anyone.

If he was going to have an ongoing run, then okay, small problem. If he knew from the beginning that he was getting 11-12 issues total, the team is too big to do anything interesting with and takes up too much space to properly build up the conflict with Cassandra, relying on her name and the generic "world at stake" problem.

But Gabby is kinda...ugh

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    I would have expected more empathy from Jean. Kitty must really feel left out: "Guys, I am all alone here, I can be there in 20 mins. Say you need me, pleaaassse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Right? I still don't get why any of the X-Men are still viewing her as the "leader".
    Kitty should've been a better leader and more likable. Then people wouldn't fall alseep on the job and leave her.

BANNED

spoilers:

The battle between Jean and Rachel turned out to be an anti-climax and brief.

Jean won the Jean-Rachel battle and surrendered herself to Nova so that Nova could release Rachel unharmed.

Jean wasn't actually at the battle site and just projected herself there. Nova tried to kill Jean but it was just a projection of Jean using cerebro?

When did Cerebro enable people to project their physical form without detection from another psychic? This is unconvincing...

Finally, Jean admits Rachel is her daughter.

The whole team gets ready for the final battle with Nova in issue 10.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by jalsrix; 10-24-2018 at 07:06 PM.