Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    spoilers:

The battle between Jean and Rachel turned out to be an anti-climax and brief.

Jean won the Jean-Rachel battle and surrendered herself to Nova so that Nova could release Rachel unharmed.

Jean wasn't actually at the battle site and just projected herself there. Nova tried to kill Jean but it was just a projection of Jean using cerebro?

When did Cerebro enable people to project their physical form without detection from another psychic? This is unconvincing...

Finally, Jean admits Rachel is her daughter.

The whole team gets ready for the final battle with Nova in issue 10.

end of spoilers
    It wasnt Jean's physical form; it was an astral projection and its something she's been able to do for years without Cerebro. Cerebro only made it easier to trick Nova bc she is a highly skilled telepath

Astonishing Member

I dont really like this book. The message seems to be "the great evil of our age is people saying nasty things on social media", which seems a very insular first world problem thing to me that tells too much about the writer, and I don't think Cassandra Nova is being written very in character.
    Cassandra is not evil because she suffered a lot as a kid, she wants to kill mutants the same way a piranha or a shark want to kill things, she is a mummudrai, she can't help acting that way. She isnt even fully rational.

The Red Dragon

That was insanely anticlimatic. Just like Jean Grey’s fight With Storm. I want to see a knock down drag out fight and Taylor just isnt capable of delivering that in this book. Everything is just resolved in the most boring way possible.

I really want Tom Taylor to stay on the X-Books but at this point I think I am ready for X-Men Red to end. I think the book had promise but needed more fine-tuning prior to release to become the epic it intended (and could've been).

I'd like to see Tom tackle a mutant book with a smaller lineup that relies more heavily on the interpersonal dynamics. Nonetheless, I hope the end of this book doesn't mean the end of his time on the X-Books.

This was amusing:

452348.jpg

And this was awesome:

164564212.jpg

Other than that, it was alright.

As a reader, that TK punch was cathartic as hell, not gonna lie. I've liked Rachel since the Excalibur days, and she's gotten dicked around way too much the last decade. Nice to see her getting some licks in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...w-x-men-red-9/
    (W) Tom Taylor
    (A) Roge Antonio
    (C) Jenny Frison
    Following the shocking events of X-MEN RED #8, it’s time for Jean to finally confront her demon head-on. Jean Grey and Cassandra Nova… The showdown begins here!
    I like this team
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

This was enjoyable enough but I was hoping it would do a better job of leading up to the big final fight.

I loved spoilers:
    Rachel punching Cassandra, loved that moment between Jean and Ororo, and felt like Jean rescuing Rachel like this might be a first step towards 'fixing' the relationship between these two (not that there are issues between them, but more like issues with how the relationship has been written, I'm thinking about Jean telling Rachel she's not her mother).
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Trinary and the others finding videos and online content that makes mutants look good so they can share that stuff kind of bugged me. I mean how is it different from the tactics used by the bad guys if they're artificially boosting this type of content? I don't know if that part was meant to be a way of fighting back against the anti-mutant sentiment, or if it was just meant to keep some of the characters busy so Cassandra couldn't read their mind and see what Jean was doing so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I really want Tom Taylor to stay on the X-Books but at this point I think I am ready for X-Men Red to end. I think the book had promise but needed more fine-tuning prior to release to become the epic it intended (and could've been).

I'd like to see Tom tackle a mutant book with a smaller lineup that relies more heavily on the interpersonal dynamics. Nonetheless, I hope the end of this book doesn't mean the end of his time on the X-Books.
    He'll be doing Spider-Man following Red's end, so I guess that might take a bit of time.

Spoilers below

I enjoyed this though I do think it could have had more fun with the fight scenes. I think we will get more soon though. Jean tried talking her down (a good heroic first step) but Cassandra disintegrated her(well, her projection).

I imagine next time jean won’t try so much talking.

Also, while this entire series could be trimmed down by several books, I do find the idea or larger arcs to be more enjoyable. I feel it has given some breathing room for enjoyment, whereas 3 issue arcs often feel rushed to me. Maybe something like 6 or 7 issues could be a sweeet spot.
    Last edited by Grey; 10-25-2018 at 06:11 AM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I dont really like this book. The message seems to be "the great evil of our age is people saying nasty things on social media", which seems a very insular first world problem thing to me that tells too much about the writer, and I don't think Cassandra Nova is being written very in character.
    Cassandra is not evil because she suffered a lot as a kid, she wants to kill mutants the same way a piranha or a shark want to kill things, she is a mummudrai, she can't help acting that way. She isnt even fully rational.
    I feel this may be oversimplification.

The mean things online is related more to the lack of empathy and the hatred/fear that exists in our world, which is certainly fueled by things like: anonymity online, spread of false information, and the influence that advertisers and social media have with all the data they have of users and how it can be weaponized (I’m not saying the latter is happening, but that it could happen).

I do agree with you that compared to other issues, this isn’t the biggest problem humans face but, Taylor is doing something different. And considering the target market age for comics I think it’s a topic worth writing about.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    On the Cassandra part, you make a good point and I can agree.
    On the internet part, my country, which is a third-world one getting worse with each passing year, a fascism apologist is about to be elected president, amidst a campaign boosted by fake news and Twitter bots, so I'm sorry but I take this stuff pretty seriously and it doesn't sound so much as a "first world problem".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    On the Cassandra part, you make a good point and I can agree.
    On the internet part, my country, which is a third-world one getting worse with each passing year, a fascism apologist is about to be elected president, amidst a campaign boosted by fake news and Twitter bots, so I'm sorry but I take this stuff pretty seriously and it doesn't sound so much as a "first world problem".
    Ditto, I am from a third world country too. And hate and bigotry towards minorities is a very common phenomenon on social media here as well. I am glad Tom Taylor is drawing those parallels

Quote Originally Posted by gotunandan View Post
    Ditto, I am from a third world country too. And hate and bigotry towards minorities is a very common phenomenon on social media here as well. I am glad Tom Taylor is drawing those parallels
    It's not a problem limited to the first world and I think the Internet is linked to far more suffering in 'third world' countries than in the US , Europe or other developed country. The worst thing social media has created in the first world is misinformation and giving a platform where horrible people can share their views and gain more clout. I hate it but we still have access to several sources of information in spite of this issue. PrezValentine and Gotunandan talked about social media spreading bigotry and fascism, but it goes much further than that. Human trafficking and violence against girls and women is closely connected to online platforms in some parts of the world. It's a safe way for criminals to operate, and it's a problem without a solution.

I'm glad they're addressing it in the comics. It's just the execution of the idea is not very subtle. I feel like they could have written it as an ongoing sub-plot to address these issues and not have Jean use words like 'weaponize the truth.'

I love how Taylor basically goes out of his way to enforce that Rachel is Jean’s daughter and that she cares about her especially after Guggenheim’s scene in Gold.