Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It's not a problem limited to the first world and I think the Internet is linked to far more suffering in 'third world' countries than in the US , Europe or other developed country. The worst thing social media has created in the first world is misinformation and giving a platform where horrible people can share their views and gain more clout. I hate it but we still have access to several sources of information in spite of this issue. PrezValentine and Gotunandan talked about social media spreading bigotry and fascism, but it goes much further than that. Human trafficking and violence against girls and women is closely connected to online platforms in some parts of the world. It's a safe way for criminals to operate, and it's a problem without a solution.

I'm glad they're addressing it in the comics. It's just the execution of the idea is not very subtle. I feel like they could have written it as an ongoing sub-plot to address these issues and not have Jean use words like 'weaponize the truth.'
    Yeah, John Oliver did a great piece on Facebook and its influence in countries like Malaysia/Burma (I can never remember which one is right)
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I quite liked Taylor's use/interpretation of a current real world problem. (It's certainly more relevant and interesting than yet another "mutant-extinction-Level threat"...for the umpteenth time). I appreciate that he was able to connect and present it in such a way as to not take away from our suspension of disbelief while maintaining its essence yet not be overly preachy about it.

While I do love the implausible escapism nature of my superhero comics I don't mind getting into a bit of real-world realism from time to time, once it's done reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Yeah, John Oliver did a great piece on Facebook and its influence in countries like Malaysia/Burma (I can never remember which one is right)
    I didn't know. It's good to know someone is drawing attention to this!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I quite liked Taylor's use/interpretation of a current real world problem. (It's certainly more relevant and interesting than yet another "mutant-extinction-Level threat"...for the umpteenth time). I appreciate that he was able to connect and present it in such a way as to not take away from our suspension of disbelief while maintaining its essence yet not be overly preachy about it.

While I do love the implausible escapism nature of my superhero comics I don't mind getting into a bit of real-world realism from time to time, once it's done reasonably well.
    I agree with this. I read comics to take a break from the news. But you can't write comics and completely ignore the world we live in, especially since the X-Men have always worked as a metaphor for racism/bigotry/the experiences of POC or LGBT people, etc. It's a franchise that's been relevant since the 60s because of this. The Internet has changed absolutely everything we do and it's high time we see this reflected in comics. I would have liked a little more subtlety in how this was handled in Red but I love the fact that they wrote this modern story. I also love Trinary's powers, she really feels like a character written for the 21st century and hope we see more of her after Red.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

i thought this was another good installment of this story. I loved Jean being one step ahead of Nova. It was great to see her interact with the other team members before her departure to face Nova. A nice surprise was all the team members pitching in to help Jean plan be successful and the personal little interaction between them. Is a romance between Binary and Gentle brewing. I"m starting to like this team, to bad it's coming to a end soon.

BANNED

This was a good read, but it had an odd feeling. Somethings were too slow, others were too quick.

The PR thing is a bit lame and hokey. It works IRL, but seems more underhanded to toy with people's perceptions. Not all mutants are good and honestly in Xbooks it seems all mutants do is go to war with each other.

Why didn't Storm's tidal wave take out Nova? Does Jean not know that Forge is being held hostage?

The Gentle/Trinary budding romance is cute.

All-New Member

Doesn't Forge carry a powerful Psi inhibitor on him at all times? It annoys me that those things only thwart the heroes while villains just chew through them like it's nothing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gymer View Post
    Doesn't Forge carry a powerful Psi inhibitor on him at all times? It annoys me that those things only thwart the heroes while villains just chew through them like it's nothing.
    Forge is also a powerful sorcerer in his own right and should not be that easy to control. Cassandra has no problem controlling Forge and Rachel (a supposedly powerful telepath) at the same time while still too strong for Jean to take on directly. You would think Forge would take measures against mind-control after the Emma situation back in IvX. His mutant powers are too dangerous to be allowed for easy manipulation.

Still not sure about Jean's strategy and why she did not team up with Rachel in fighting Cassandra. On a side note, wasn't Jean getting a power boost using Cerebra?
    Last edited by raidensix; 10-25-2018 at 05:17 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Cassandra Nova isn't the same type of physical being as a human. Assuming that she's still Stuff, she may not even need to breathe.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Cassandra Nova isn't the same type of physical being as a human. Assuming that she's still Stuff, she may not even need to breathe.
    She’s not Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gymer View Post
    Obviously he doesn’t

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Forge is also a powerful sorcerer in his own right and should not be that easy to control. Cassandra has no problem controlling Forge and Rachel (a supposedly powerful telepath) at the same time while still too strong for Jean to take on directly. You would think Forge would take measures against mind-control after the Emma situation back in IvX. His mutant powers are too dangerous to be allowed for easy manipulation.

Still not sure about Jean's strategy and why she did not team up with Rachel in fighting Cassandra. On a side note, wasn't Jean getting a power boost using Cerebra?
    Why would she do that? Her strategy for outsmarting Nova while freeing Rachel from her new living room was effective enough
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-25-2018 at 05:28 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She’s not Stuff
    We don't know that, do we?

I mean - even as a typical mummudrai she's still not the same as a normal human/mutant.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I love this comic so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    We don't know that, do we?

I mean - even as a typical mummudrai she's still not the same as a normal human/mutant.
    Kitty freed her in AXM

Stuff is Ernst. But it seems that writers just forgot that plot point Morrison left.

The Red Dragon

Going back to what Jean said she designed Serebro to do, it sounds like it increases her range not necessarily her powers level.

BANNED

Cassandra isn't too strong for Jean to take on directly. Jean did not want to risk Rachel being hurt, so she used a strategy to outsmart Cassandra. Next issue is about Jean taking the fight to Cassandra.