Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Male Solo Books with a Female Writer

My mind is blanking, could you guys give me the names of the books from recent years where a female writer is handling a male character, from the top of your head? I prefer it to be Marvel but if a book fits the bill from another publisher, shoot.

2 or 3 years ago, Becky Cloonan wrote The Punisher.

Niffleheim

I've gone through ANAD, Marvel NOW! 2.0, Marvel Legacy and the Fresh Start list of writers and apart from Cloonan there is nobody.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Well, there's Jody Houser on Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, but I'm not sure if that counts as a solo book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    I've gone through ANAD, Marvel NOW! 2.0, Marvel Legacy and the Fresh Start list of writers and apart from Cloonan there is nobody.
    Yep, and it's pretty glaring when you think about all the men who got to write female solo books during that same period:

- James Robinson on Scarlet Witch
    - Ryan North on Squirrel Girl
    - Christopher Hastings on Gwenpool
    - Dennis Hopeless on Jean Grey and Spider-Woman
    - Tom Taylor on Wolverine (Laura)
    - Jason Aaron on Thor (Jane)
    - Brian Michael Bendis on Jessica Jones and Ironheart
    - Jason Latour on Spider-Gwen
    - Brandon Montclare on Moon Girl
    - Jeremy Whitley on Wasp
    - Chris Samnee and Mark Waid on Black Widow

Nothin wrong with that, of course. But it's clear there's still a glass ceiling to be broken there.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-19-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    2 or 3 years ago, Becky Cloonan wrote The Punisher.
    I wish that book got more attention for that reason. Marvel improved in having female writers but there seemed to be a trend where female writers would write female characters while male writers could write either. Becky Cloonan was the only exception and I almost got the impression no one had thoughts on that book. That being said, Kelly Thompson is writing team books with male characters and I'll count that too.

Back in the 80s things were pretty different with Louise Simonson writing X-Factor and Power Pack, Ann Nocenti writing Daredevil, Mary Jo Duffy writing Power Man and Iron Fist. It might not be that praiseworthy, though. I somewhat get the impression they got these books because there were fewer female characters as well. But I like they were just among the writers and no distinction was made (Nocenti and Simonson were editors, which probably was a factor).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Marjorie Liu just wrote that Han Solo miniseries.

Marjorie Liu co-wrote all of Dark Wolverine with Daniel Way, and I always assumed that she was responsible for the bulk of it considering that it was actually readable unlike everything else Daniel Way has ever been attached to. And of course, she wrote Astonishing X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Back in the 80s things were pretty different with Louise Simonson writing X-Factor and Power Pack, Ann Nocenti writing Daredevil, Mary Jo Duffy writing Power Man and Iron Fist. It might not be that praiseworthy, though. I somewhat get the impression they got these books because there were fewer female characters as well. But I like they were just among the writers and no distinction was made (Nocenti and Simonson were editors, which probably was a factor).
    Funny to think that Nocenti wouldn't have written Daredevil if Steve Englehart hadn't been so upset about her use of Black Widow in what was planned as a fill-in issue. He threw a tantrum and stormed off the book, refusing to have his name attached to the one issue he did turn in, and he still characterized it as "an editor stealing the title for herself" years later.

Extraordinary Member

Jo Duffy said in an interview once that when Chris Claremont needed to drop one of his books and she was the only editor without a writing assignment, Jim Shooter figured that Claremont would give up Ms. Marvel and "the girl would get the girl book," but it turned out Claremont loved Carol Danvers and Duffy had no interest in her, so he gave up "Power Man & Iron Fist" to her instead.

Unfortunately things seem to have regressed since the Shooter era. After all these decades there is still a very strong expectation that women writers will be assigned to write women, which means that they can never get most of the true flagship superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Jo Duffy said in an interview once that when Chris Claremont needed to drop one of his books and she was the only editor without a writing assignment, Jim Shooter figured that Claremont would give up Ms. Marvel and "the girl would get the girl book," but it turned out Claremont loved Carol Danvers and Duffy had no interest in her, so he gave up "Power Man & Iron Fist" to her instead.

Unfortunately things seem to have regressed since the Shooter era. After all these decades there is still a very strong expectation that women writers will be assigned to write women, which means that they can never get most of the true flagship superheroes.
    While at the same time, if a man writes a woman it's now considered 'not authentic'. So most of the women writers are being put on female characters.

Before long, writers won't be allowed to write anything unless they personally resemble the character.

Oh, and Mary Jo Duffy's Power Man & Iron Fist was my second favorite Marvel title growing up, btw.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

America Chavez's solo is proof positive that not every "connected pairing" between character and author is a match made in heaven, or an ideal perspective for that matter.

Beneficial? Often.
    Informed? For sure.

Ideal? Not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    While at the same time, if a man writes a woman it's now considered 'not authentic'. So most of the women writers are being put on female characters.
    That's a broad blanket statement that is most definitely subjective and a matter of opinion.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

We all know women writers can write women characters; what we don't see nearly enough is women writers on the big guns. Ann Nocenti on Daredevil a hundred years ago? Gail Simone on a truncated Action Comics run?

Let's see a lady get a 2-3 year run on Thor, Captain America, or Iron Man. Then I'll be impressed...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Nocenti was on Green Arrow (I know, DC) shortly into the New 52 and then did Klarion (I know, another DC.)

Jo Duffy's run on Wolverine is one of my favorites runs on Wolverine. Same with Kathryn Immonen on Wolverine & Jubilee mini.

We almost had Chelsea Cain on Vision but that's not happening anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    We almost had Chelsea Cain on Vision but that's not happening anymore
    That hurts

Another DC example - Kelly Sue DeConnick is about to take over Aquaman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman