Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    My mind is blanking, could you guys give me the names of the books from recent years where a female writer is handling a male character, from the top of your head? I prefer it to be Marvel but if a book fits the bill from another publisher, shoot.
    nnedi okorafor wrote three digital Black Panther issues.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    nnedi okorafor wrote three digital Black Panther issues.
    I read those issues but i still didn't remember this lol!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Jo Duffy's run on Wolverine is one of my favorites runs on Wolverine. Same with Kathryn Immonen on Wolverine & Jubilee mini.
    Gail Simone's run on both Deadpool and Agent X are most definitely favorites of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That's a broad blanket statement that is most definitely subjective and a matter of opinion.
    I just throw it out there because I'm a firm believer that writers shouldn't be restricted by their race or gender as to what they're allowed to write. A good writer researches and puts him/herself in the character's shoes.
    I personally think a good writer is beyond race or gender labels.

This translates to, for me, that Gail Simone, Ann Nocenti, Kelly Sue DeConnick and any other talented female writer should be allowed to write male solo titles, even the big guns, if that's what they want to write.
    Not because they're female, however, but because they're simply good writers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I just throw it out there because I'm a firm believer that writers shouldn't be restricted by their race or gender as to what they're allowed to write. A good writer researches and puts him/herself in the character's shoes.
    I personally think a good writer is beyond race or gender labels.

This translates to, for me, that Gail Simone, Ann Nocenti, Kelly Sue DeConnick and any other talented female writer should be allowed to write male solo titles, even the big guns, if that's what they want to write.
    Not because they're female, however, but because they're simply good writers.
    Ah. Agreed. Yes. I too subscribe to talent> identity quantifer(?)
    Quality writing is the goal.
    I do think that its very easy to fall into a "Hey this person wrote something rad this one time, lets go with him" hole, thereby possibly overlooking or not considering new talent --and there certainly IS something to be said about considering the unique perspective a particular person may bring to the table based on their life experience as a fellow minority -- whatever that minority may be (but again, as I said earlier, that is NOT always the case <cough-America-Chavez-Solo-cough>)

Like, in my mind Al Ewing can do no wrong and writes a truly VAST representative of characters. And he's a white British dude.
    I love his writing and encourage and applaud more more MOAR and if I were in a position of deciding to appoint a writer to a book, my bias for Ewing might inform my decision making because I'm a flawed human being that wants more of what I view as GOOD writing. But I might be missing out on a unique story from another writer that may in fact be very well suited to the title, character, etc.

Its a complicated topic really. I'm glad folks are discussing it. Its an important one.

I sometimes wonder if -- given that female talent (in many avenues) are often not afforded the same opportunities (jobs, foot in the door, etc) as their male counterparts, that WHEN given a gig, folks are inclined to offer them gender specific books -- be it subconscious or deliberate. So the ladies are often writing books that have a leading lady, or even books focusing on couples.

<shrug>

As I recall, Marjorie Liu even said in an interview that one of the reasons she wanted to write Daken/Dark Wolverine was to get away from the whole "girls only write the girl books" thing.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

While at the same time, if a man writes a woman it's now considered 'not authentic'. So most of the women writers are being put on female characters.
    And yet, men still get to write female characters all the time. I just mentioned 13 female solo books written by male writers in the last 3 years. Complaints on the internet are not taking away their opportunities. Meanwhile, typecasting is something that takes away opportunities from people, as it limits what they can work on. It's not men who are getting the short end of the stick here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    We almost had Chelsea Cain on Vision but that's not happening anymore
    LOL, I had forgotten about that. Salt to the wound.

Didn't Brevoort say that they usually get more pitches from female writers for female characters then male ones, or that it about evens out? I remember that coming up the last time this topic was discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Nocenti was on Green Arrow (I know, DC) shortly into the New 52 and then did Klarion (I know, another DC.)
    We don't talk about Nocenti on Green Arrow (almost as much as we don't talk about Nocenti on Catwoman) .

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Funny to think that Nocenti wouldn't have written Daredevil if Steve Englehart hadn't been so upset about her use of Black Widow in what was planned as a fill-in issue. He threw a tantrum and stormed off the book, refusing to have his name attached to the one issue he did turn in, and he still characterized it as "an editor stealing the title for herself" years later.
    Yep. I found the one story he wrote to be underwhelming. However, I liked that he was building to it at the same time with Black Widow's guest appearance in West Coast Avengers. But I love Nocenti's run overall so I'm happy with the end result.

While at the same time, if a man writes a woman it's now considered 'not authentic'. So most of the women writers are being put on female characters.
    Dennis Hopeless wrote Spider-Woman. Wasn't it Mark Waid on the Unstoppable Wasp book. Ryan North writes Squirrel Girl. Tom Taylor was writing Laura Kinney. I don't see criticism for any of those books beyond the fact that female writers weren't getting as much work as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Brevoort say that they usually get more pitches from female writers for female characters then male ones, or that it about evens out? I remember that coming up the last time this topic was discussed.
    That's certainly understandable, but it's not sufficient to explain the complete absence of female writers writing male characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Another DC example - Kelly Sue DeConnick is about to take over Aquaman.
    I still want to know what Marvel did to piss her off. I used to think she just wanted to do indie work but now she's back to a big two book.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I still want to know what Marvel did to piss her off. I used to think she just wanted to do indie work but now she's back to a big two book.
    I don't know if it's so much that Marvel did something so much as Bendis was probably able to talk her into doing DC work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't know but I think it was last year where she liked a tweet about showing dislikeness towards Captain Marvel's constant relaunches. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Ultimate Member

Milestone Comics

Static-

Madeleine Blaustein AKA voice of Meowth of Pokemon fame. She also did Hardware & Deathwish mini series.

She was also an editor under some guy named PRIEST for Spider-Man in the 80s.

She did 6 issues of Static one with Gil Kane.

Jacqueline Ching at least 3-I have to look in my copies to find out how many a she's NOT listed on comicvine. I do know she was an editor for Milestone and SOME Marvel titles if Jackie Ching is her too.

Erica Helene did an issue that LOL became a Static Shock episode and that is so far her only comic credit.

DC

Steel-Louise Jones Simonson until Priest took over. 28 issues

And she did Superman Man of Steel for 74 issues.

Interesting during her run-she got to write Static as well during that Milestone/Superman crossover

I am sure Archie had some but so much of his stories in the early days to 80s did not credit creative teams. Tom Deflaco has some stories he did before his Marvel days.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We don't talk about Nocenti on Green Arrow (almost as much as we don't talk about Nocenti on Catwoman) .
    This!

But on a serious note, the disproportionate number of female writers in the biz is what lets the Negative Nancy's (Ned's?) point to examples like these and say "See! Girls can't write good comics!"...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I don't know but I think it was last year where she liked a tweet about showing dislikeness towards Captain Marvel's constant relaunches. Maybe it has something to do with that.
    It could be the cancellations. I wondered if it had to do with the crossover events but that might make more sense since she left post-Secret Wars, which would trigger another event.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Fantastic Member

When I think about it Gail Simone is writing Plastic Man right now and I love her All-New Atom series and she has written Conan before.