Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So I'm half way done. Does Matt ever get back in a suit? Or does he keep the ninja suit all season. Liking Bullseye iono why his names not Lester though. I mean lester pointdexter would be a ridiculous name but seem weird changing his name for no reason
    He does not. Nor is there an indication he might get it back next season.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    He does not. Nor is there an indication he might get it back next season.
    Was hoping for a new suit. More red less black.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 10-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Who were the three bodies in the fridge? I know one was the armorer and one was Bulls Eye's stalking target but who was the third?
    Julie. The Kingpin had her killed so he could control Bullseye.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Was hoping for a new suit. More red less black.
    Same. Hopefully there will be another season where I can see both an updated DD suit and a spanking new Bullseye one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Julie. The Kingpin had her killed so he could control Bullseye.
    I think he's aware that's Julie, and he'd have to be assuming he finished that exact episode he is referencing and given the events that follow. He is referring to the other human popsicle.

Okay, I finished this show last night but didn't have time to put all my thoughts down in this thread.

First, I want to say that all three seasons of DD are great, imo. I'll have to watch them all again before I rank them.

I loved this season. At first I was disappointed that Matt wasn't in the suit again but there was a good reason why and it worked out well.

I think they absolutely nailed Bullseye and the Kingpin was the best in this season. He almost pulled off a brilliant masterpiece of a plan. And it would have worked if Nadeem hadn't left that video of his dying declaration.

One of the things that I like so much about Daredevil and one of the reasons he is one of my favorite characters is that he always, ALWAYS puts innocent people above his own desires. He wanted to kill the Kingpin but had to protect Vanessa from Bullseye while taking hits from both Bullseye and the Kingpin.

That opening scene of his fight with the Kingpin where they both scream in utter rage at each other in the hallway and charge is cool. And the choreography of the three way fight was amazing!

Maggie was brilliant and so was the priest (I forget his name).

There was a lot more cool things that happened in this season too like how the story developed and how smooth it flowed. I liked how the Kingpin framed him for the murder of some people. That was classic Kingpin stuff there.

I also absolutely loved the end where the Kingpin picked up Bullseye and broke his back against the wall, and then we see later on Bullseye getting an experimental spine treatment to fix his broken back. So we know he'll be back.

The scene with Matt and Melvin sets him up to be the Gladiator possibly in the next season. It was cool how they used a saw blade during their fight was a nice nod to the character.

I know I'm forgetting some things that I'll remember later but those were the highlights for me. Those and the fight scenes.

There are some things I didn't like though. For instance, in the first episode Matt is talking to Maggie about the story of Lazarus and gets it COMPLETELY wrong. Matt says to Maggie that God killed all of Lazarus' family and did all the bad things to him, but it was Satan who did all of that, not God. And Matt would know that since he was raised a Catholic and knew all the stories from the bible. Would it hurt for the writers to do a little research and get that right??

I don't like how they let Vanessa become a villain. In Miller's run, Vanessa hated Wilson's criminal career, but in the show, she becomes as bad as him. Even putting a hit out on Nadeem.

There were a couple of other minor gripes but overall this was a fantastic season.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Same. Hopefully there will be another season where I can see both an updated DD suit and a spanking new Bullseye one.

I think he's aware that's Julie, and he'd have to be assuming he finished that exact episode he is referencing and given the events that follow. He is referring to the other human popsicle.
    I only remember three people in that freezer, and he named the other two besides Julie so I figured that's who he was talking about.

BANNED

There are some things I didn't like though. For instance, in the first episode Matt is talking to Maggie about the story of Lazarus and gets it COMPLETELY wrong. Matt says to Maggie that God killed all of Lazarus' family and did all the bad things to him, but it was Satan who did all of that, not God. And Matt would know that since he was raised a Catholic and knew all the stories from the bible. Would it hurt for the writers to do a little research and get that right??
    He was telling the story of Job, where god made a juvenile bet with Satan . He allowed Satan all manner of ills and evils upon Job and God said he would not stop him or answer Jobes prayers . He wanted to prove that Job would not forsake him . It was unquestionably God's lowest moment in all of the Old Testament

It was a story intended to show the monster God really is, a being capable of so many despicable acts, even death itself, to prove a point of pride. It's a story enough to shake the faith of any man. It's this a monster I really want to spend eternity with? Can hell really be so much worse?
    Last edited by AJBopp; 10-21-2018 at 07:36 PM.

He was telling the story of Job, where god made a juvenile bet with Satan . He allowed Satan all manner of ills and evils upon Job and God said he would not stop him or answer Jobes prayers . He wanted to prove that Job would not forsake him . It was unquestionably God's lowest moment in all of the Old Testament

It was a story intended to show the monster God really is, a being capable of so many despicable acts, even death itself, to prove a point of pride. It's a story enough to shake the faith of any man. It's this a monster I really want to spend eternity with? Can hell really be so much worse?
    Sorry, yes, I meant Job. And I'm not going to get into a theological debate with you but that scene was wrong.

One thing that stuck out...

Factoring in that two of the other shows were just cancelled, it was very interesting that this season wrapped everything up with a bow on top if you were planning on starting over elsewhere.

Mighty Member

One of the things that I like so much about Daredevil and one of the reasons he is one of my favorite characters is that he always, ALWAYS puts innocent people above his own desires. He wanted to kill the Kingpin but had to protect Vanessa from Bullseye while taking hits from both Bullseye and the Kingpin.
    She's not innocent at that point he knew she had Nadeem killed. It was more because part of him still didn't want to kill Fisk and if she had died it would have been his only option.

The scene with Matt and Melvin sets him up to be the Gladiator possibly in the next season. It was cool how they used a saw blade during their fight was a nice nod to the character.
    He was one of the bodies in the freezer, he isn't coming back. Unless you mean Matt becoming Gladiator.

I only remember three people in that freezer, and he named the other two besides Julie so I figured that's who he was talking about.
    I said Julie as Bull's eye stalking target. And Melvin was the second so he isn't coming back as anyone. I just don't know who the last one was.

Mighty Member

The story is Matt's loss of faith and his struggle back. Kingpin was just a vehicle to transport that story.

There was easily 7 episodes' worth of material that did not contribute to that story. Fine character moments...sure. But those moments, extended beyond purpose, had nothing to do with the story, for the most part.

Also, most of the fight scenes were extended beyond purpose too. They just continued long enough to fill whatever time was necessary to take up because there wasn't enough of a story to propel them into relevance.
    In terms of narrative, or motive plot maybe. But thematically the story being told here, though certainly centered on Matt's journey, is much broader. Fear, the way it can make good people make bad choices, bad people make good choices, and at what point those choices make someone a good or bad person.

But even in the format you've laid out, the journeys that Foggy, Karen, Dex, Nadeem and Fisk (also Sister Maggie, though less transformatively) take are integral to the underlying developments at the heart of Matt. If you don't explore their choices, their fears and their actions you fundamentally alter the impact they have, or don't have, on Matt. Matt's entire catharsis is dependent on developments in Foggy and Karen's stories, which take time to establish and pay off. In terms of pure narrative, there aren't that many check boxes between the beginning and the end, but making it a satisfying trip requires the side trips and the focus elsewhere. Hell, I don't even think you can adequately execute and pay off Nadeem's story in just six or seven episodes, and it's so pivotal to the overarching emotional and thematic structure (not to mention the narrative structure) that you just lose so much without it.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the action scenes, either. I didn't feel that any of them were overly long save for the prison sequence. And metaphorically serving to remind us of how Matt has become trapped, constantly harried and unable to truly rest even for a second as the entire world turns on him and chases him down, it didn't really bother me over much.

The sequence with Dex were essential. Matt fighting a twisted version of what he fears himself to be (a bad person, who has made socially constrained "good" choices but is just waiting for an excuse to lose control), while simultaneously battling somebody in the heroic outfit that he seeks to leave behind while he has donned the more morally ambiguous black outfit. It just works on so many different levels.

But, agree to disagree, I suppose. We clearly just aren't coming at it from the same place, and we'll never convince one another otherwise. Nothing wrong with that, end of the day. Differing opinions keep life interesting.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

3 episodes in and so far it's really great.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So I'm half way done. Does Matt ever get back in a suit? Or does he keep the ninja suit all season. Liking Bullseye iono why his names not Lester though. I mean lester pointdexter would be a ridiculous name but seem weird changing his name for no reason
    Benjamin Poindexter is a frequent alias Bullseye uses in the comics. Lester may not be his real name as the story that uses that name is hugely fabricated by him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian
    I don't like how they let Vanessa become a villain. In Miller's run, Vanessa hated Wilson's criminal career, but in the show, she becomes as bad as him. Even putting a hit out on Nadeem.
    I recall Vanessa being a villain in Ed Brubaker run.

Astonishing Member

Awesome season. It's close between DDS1 and DDS3 for best thing in all the MCU.

Episode 4 was the best yet. But it's still moving slow.