Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I loved DDS1, while I only liked bits of S2. S3's better than S2 so far and may top the first season.
    Season 2 of Daredevil suffered from the same problem as Season 1 of Luke Cage IMO once Luke Cage moved on from Cottonmouth it went downhill and Season 2 of DD went downhill IMO once they moved on from Punisher to Elektra.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Season 2 of Daredevil suffered from the same problem as Season 1 of Luke Cage IMO once Luke Cage moved on from Cottonmouth it went downhill and Season 2 of DD went downhill IMO once they moved on from Punisher to Elektra.
    Yep. Punisher parts good, more so in 1st half. Elektra/Hand brought the show down.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-20-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I agree. I like how season 3 is focused entirely around Fisk and how all the characters individual stories tie into it. It made the everything cohesive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I agree. I like how season 3 is focused entirely around Fisk and how all the characters individual stories tie into it. It made the everything cohesive.
    Agreed. S1 was tighter and leaner as is this. S2 was overstuffed.

Agreed. S1 was tighter and leaner as is this. S2 was overstuffed.
    Season 2 was logistically doing a lot. It was essentially a backdoor pilot for the Punisher, while setting up the Defenders movie with Electra and the Hand.

For the record, I enjoyed the heck out of the season ... but yeah, it argaubly was trying to do too much in too little space. Which is weird, since most Marvel Net Flixs shows have the opposite complaint.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Episode 4 was AWESOME!!!!!!!!.
    This episode had some action, but was almost completely filler material. If you didn't watch it at all, but went directly from 3 to 5, you wouldn't know you had missed much of anything.

Mighty Member

Yep. Punisher parts good, more so in 1st half. Elektra/Hand brought the show down.
    I don't agree that it was Elektra that brought the show down, Elodie Yung's portrayal was frankly amazing. But the Hand absolutely did. They are such a nebulous and ill defined threat, and they didn't have anybody with the style or charisma of Fisk to hold the audience's attention. Much like Iron Man 2 is bogged down by setup for the eventual team-up in Avengers, DD S2 (which I honestly enjoyed a lot, in some ways more than S1) is dragged drown by setup for Defenders.

I feel like if they'd used Madame Gao as the Hand leader (though she hadn't been tied to the Hand yet, at that point), and given her a stronger presence, S2 might have been overall better received. Or better yet, make Stick the antagonist. Scott Glen has the chops, and his hunt for Elektra would have been a more direct and personal threat for Matt than the Hand. As it was, while the drama between Matt and Elektra was really strong, there just wasn't any kind of meaningful external threat to drive tension or action. So it felt like the show was spinning it's wheels with the interpersonal drama.

Fisk and Fisk-Bullseye in S1 and S3 just does such a better job of giving you an actual bad guy. The contrast in quality is extremely noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I don't agree that it was Elektra that brought the show down, Elodie Yung's portrayal was frankly amazing. But the Hand absolutely did. They are such a nebulous and ill defined threat, and they didn't have anybody with the style or charisma of Fisk to hold the audience's attention. Much like Iron Man 2 is bogged down by setup for the eventual team-up in Avengers, DD S2 (which I honestly enjoyed a lot, in some ways more than S1) is dragged drown by setup for Defenders.

I feel like if they'd used Madame Gao as the Hand leader (though she hadn't been tied to the Hand yet, at that point), and given her a stronger presence, S2 might have been overall better received. Or better yet, make Stick the antagonist. Scott Glen has the chops, and his hunt for Elektra would have been a more direct and personal threat for Matt than the Hand. As it was, while the drama between Matt and Elektra was really strong, there just wasn't any kind of meaningful external threat to drive tension or action. So it felt like the show was spinning it's wheels with the interpersonal drama.

Fisk and Fisk-Bullseye in S1 and S3 just does such a better job of giving you an actual bad guy. The contrast in quality is extremely noticeable.
    Generally speaking, the Hand was all over the place in the Net Flixs shows. They probably should have had a more unified vision of the Hand before having so many different shows have different takes on them. I get that in the end Defenders established that they have 5 different hands but still... not sure if they had that in mind the whole time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I don't agree that it was Elektra that brought the show down, Elodie Yung's portrayal was frankly amazing. But the Hand absolutely did.
    If you're a fan of the character at all, Elektra was probably to your liking. I never saw the appeal of the character, and in the comics the only way the relationship worked was to make Matt a completely different character. It was basically a retcon. In the TV show I found the character to be tedious who's primary purpose was to generate action scenes.

Defenders was good until the last two episodes, when it went all Elektra and Empire Strikes Back and "we are not so different, you and I." That's when that show lost its footing and descended into mediocrity, for me.

BANNED

I liking season 3 more than disliking, but one thing I'm really having to just roll with is Matt's loss of faith. There's no real motivation or rationalization for it that I can buy. They just seem to be forcing the plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Generally speaking, the Hand was all over the place in the Net Flixs shows. They probably should have had a more unified vision of the Hand before having so many different shows have different takes on them. I get that in the end Defenders established that they have 5 different hands but still... not sure if they had that in mind the whole time.
    The Hand only appeared in DD S2 and Iron Fist before Defenders. That's hardly all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The Hand only appeared in DD S2 and Iron Fist before Defenders. That's hardly all over the place.
    It appeared in both season 1 and 2 of Daredevil, in addition to Iron FIst and Defenders.

Nobu and Bakuto had very different interactions of the Hand. Gao seemed seperate or even at times adversial to the Hand until it was revealed she was a part of it. I would have had an easier time buying the notion that there were so many versions if they did a better job of telling us that up front. I'm not entirely sure if they didn't just retcon Gao into the Hand for Defenders.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

While i wasn't a fun of manchild Fisk in season 1, Season 2 showed signs of classic Fisk but this season was the closer we got to classic Kingpin. I loved how Fisk played everyone.

Sister Maggie was great.Hell,i even like her character better in this show than in comics.But Bullseye was the MVP for me. He was almost perfect and a better foil than Hand/Electra combo of season 2.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I liking season 3 more than disliking, but one thing I'm really having to just roll with is Matt's loss of faith. There's no real motivation or rationalization for it that I can buy. They just seem to be forcing the plot point.
    Matt has been through the ringer physically and emotionally both seasons of his show and defenders. His crisis of faith felt natural to me. His faith has always been something he struggled with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    This episode had some action, but was almost completely filler material. If you didn't watch it at all, but went directly from 3 to 5, you wouldn't know you had missed much of anything.
    Correction: Episode 5 was totally unnecessary as well. You can jump straight from 3 to 6 and not be lost.