Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member MJM Mystery Writer's Avatar

Default Have writers become lost on what Ben Reilly should be?

For those of us who remember the clone saga in great detail, it was originally proposed that Ben Reilly would be revealed to be the original Peter Parker -- thus this would give the writers the ability to return him back to his fun, single, care-free days. In retrospect, I think retelling classic stories from the 60's where Peter (Ben) was a nerd who tried to date (and failed), and tried to land a great job (and struggled) would've been the best way to approach the new Ben Reilly series.

In the words of Weird Al, Ben should've been the "White & Nerdy" Peter Parker. Ben should've been the one who writers could've had fun with -- creating stories of how a clone tries to make a "real" life for himself. Ben should've kept Uncle Ben & Aunt May's wisdom in his thoughts and tried to live responsibly, all the while trying to justify why he should be a hero (since heroism is for people like Peter).

In order for a Ben Reilly series to work, you have to take the character back to the beginning -- back to his basics. Show the reader WHY Ben is different, and how life's events such as "The Lost Years" have changed him -- made him stronger internally, yet happy to be alive. After being resurrected, Ben should've been more curious how Aunt May was doing, or how his old friends & co-workers have been at the Daily Grind coffee shop. Ben should've 'wanted' to keep dying his hair blonde (or even go back to wearing glasses like in high school) for the simple fact that he didn't want to look like Peter (or have someone else think he looks like Peter).

Having a Ben Reilly who struggles to buy ingredients for his webbing, while still trying to afford his cell phone bill, would've been more entertaining than reading about a deranged semi-villain who doesn't know if he wants to be good or evil. Another aspect the writers could've explored was having Ben look up his old girlfriend, Janine Godbe. That could've been a great storyline! Remember, even though Baby May was killed off in the comics, Janine had a baby boy of her own (as referenced in the MC-2 comics -- Darkdevil).

And NO, the current writers do NOT understand Ben. He was a guy who kept his optimism strong, despite life beating him down (just like Spider-man: Ben Reilly of Earth-94). Ben Reilly would never kill, no matter the stakes. Even when he was merged with the Carnage symbiote, he refused to kill. Ben's refusal to kill was even referenced again in the "Who was Ben Reilly?" storyline. Unfortunately, I have no more optimism left for Ben Reilly. And for readers like myself, that is the true tragedy of what has become of such a beloved character.

Sometimes (regularly) I think that Marvel should just step aside and let a "fan" write Ben's return. We apparently know this character better than the current group of writers on Marvel's staff. That's not a jab at their staff, but I believe you have to be a true fan to understand what makes Ben great (and unique).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJM Mystery Writer View Post
    For those of us who remember the clone saga in great detail, it was originally proposed that Ben Reilly would be revealed to be the original Peter Parker -- thus this would give the writers the ability to return him back to his fun, single, care-free days. In retrospect, I think retelling classic stories from the 60's where Peter (Ben) was a nerd who tried to date (and failed), and tried to land a great job (and struggled) would've been the best way to approach the new Ben Reilly series.

In the words of Weird Al, Ben should've been the "White & Nerdy" Peter Parker. Ben should've been the one who writers could've had fun with -- creating stories of how a clone tries to make a "real" life for himself. Ben should've kept Uncle Ben & Aunt May's wisdom in his thoughts and tried to live responsibly, all the while trying to justify why he should be a hero (since heroism is for people like Peter).

In order for a Ben Reilly series to work, you have to take the character back to the beginning -- back to his basics. Show the reader WHY Ben is different, and how life's events such as "The Lost Years" have changed him -- made him stronger internally, yet happy to be alive. After being resurrected, Ben should've been more curious how Aunt May was doing, or how his old friends & co-workers have been at the Daily Grind coffee shop. Ben should've 'wanted' to keep dying his hair blonde (or even go back to wearing glasses like in high school) for the simple fact that he didn't want to look like Peter (or have someone else think he looks like Peter).

Having a Ben Reilly who struggles to buy ingredients for his webbing, while still trying to afford his cell phone bill, would've been more entertaining than reading about a deranged semi-villain who doesn't know if he wants to be good or evil. Another aspect the writers could've explored was having Ben look up his old girlfriend, Janine Godbe. That could've been a great storyline! Remember, even though Baby May was killed off in the comics, Janine had a baby boy of her own (as referenced in the MC-2 comics -- Darkdevil).

And NO, the current writers do NOT understand Ben. He was a guy who kept his optimism strong, despite life beating him down (just like Spider-man: Ben Reilly of Earth-94). Ben Reilly would never kill, no matter the stakes. Even when he was merged with the Carnage symbiote, he refused to kill. Ben's refusal to kill was even referenced again in the "Who was Ben Reilly?" storyline. Unfortunately, I have no more optimism left for Ben Reilly. And for readers like myself, that is the true tragedy of what has become of such a beloved character.

Sometimes (regularly) I think that Marvel should just step aside and let a "fan" write Ben's return. We apparently know this character better than the current group of writers on Marvel's staff. That's not a jab at their staff, but I believe you have to be a true fan to understand what makes Ben great (and unique).

I already came up with my own retcon story if there's ever another chance at a series:

basically explain him away as a Clone of the real Reilly (who is still alive) who had clone degenerative disease (explains the facial scars, writes off a lot of the last series as his imagination running wild/madness) have real Ben even say to Kaine "how did you not realise he was a clone? He has the degeneration scars and had clearly lost his mind... if only you had someone with experience with the effects of clone degeneration to notice it..."

Really I think it goes beyond the corruption of Ben Reilly. Comic writers have forgotten what a good superhero looks like. They all have to be anti-heroes to some degree or they are kiddie stuff. We've lost a certain amount of optimism in our lives and it comes through in our comic books.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Really I think it goes beyond the corruption of Ben Reilly. Comic writers have forgotten what a good superhero looks like. They all have to be anti-heroes to some degree or they are kiddie stuff. We've lost a certain amount of optimism in our lives and it comes through in our comic books.
    I agree with that, and it's not just comic books, it's all over the culture. People no longer believe in good ultimately triumphing over evil, hope over despair, kindness and compassion over cruelty and meanness . . . because the real world we live in has made those things seem like an impossibility. As a result, our fiction no longer seems interested in giving us heroes we can root for --- as opposed to "relate to," which is not quite the same thing --- because deep down, we don't believe heroes actually exist anymore. It's all just people with agendas, hidden or not, striving against each other to achieve their own ends regardless of right or wrong, and while that might be truer to life as we know it, we shouldn't necessarily resign ourselves to it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yep. Truly good heroes give us an example that seems out of reach. But if you don't have something like that to reach for, then you'll never be inspired to try and go beyond what you are comfortable with doing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

No.

I just think writers and fans (who aren't writers) approach the situation from drastically different perspectives.

-Pav, who wants to be diplomatic...
    Last edited by Pav; 10-19-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I agree with that, and it's not just comic books, it's all over the culture. People no longer believe in good ultimately triumphing over evil, hope over despair, kindness and compassion over cruelty and meanness . . . because the real world we live in has made those things seem like an impossibility. As a result, our fiction no longer seems interested in giving us heroes we can root for --- as opposed to "relate to," which is not quite the same thing --- because deep down, we don't believe heroes actually exist anymore. It's all just people with agendas, hidden or not, striving against each other to achieve their own ends regardless of right or wrong, and while that might be truer to life as we know it, we shouldn't necessarily resign ourselves to it.
    Wow, this feels spot on to me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Wow, this feels spot on to me.
    as far as tv goes, they do say we're currently in the "age of the anti hero"
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    When exactly was the time of these heroes one could root for? I mean, looking at the mythological heroes that many like to see as the archetype for the modern superhero, they weren't exactly perfect or flawless. And as for the real world having made people cynical; I do agree that a lot of things are bad today, but it's not like we're in some kind of freefall from a golden age either. History is littered with racism, misogyny, war, plague, despair, even genocide, and you don't have to go back far to find it.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    When exactly was the time of these heroes one could root for? I mean, looking at the mythological heroes that many like to see as the archetype for the modern superhero, they weren't exactly perfect or flawless. And as for the real world having made people cynical; I do agree that a lot of things are bad today, but it's not like we're in some kind of freefall from a golden age either. History is littered with racism, misogyny, war, plague, despair, even genocide, and you don't have to go back far to find it.
    some decent points in there. often heroes were as much a warning as an inspiration in myth.

people blame GoT for its bleakness, but GRR literally lifted bits of history and existing myth and put into his books.
    troo fan or death