Default Daredevil masterworks or epic collections???

Hi, I am new here! I’ve been into comics since the 80’s, but I have spent most of my life in Japan so I don’t have a big physical collection. Which is why I love being able to get comics digitally now! Perfect for people like me! I’ve already got about 200 collections digitally (an unhealthy percetage are Spider-Man, Venom, Spider-Gwen, Silk, anything Spider-related). But recently I’ve been reading Daredevil and I want to pick up his classic collections, some of which are on sale at Marvel right now.

But looking at those collections has me confused. What’s the difference between the masterworks and epic collections? Issue 1-63 are collected in order in both masterworks 1-6, or epic 1-3. But the price for the masterworks seems to be much higher (even without the sale on the epics). I’ve read online that the masterworks were much higher quality in physical form (hardcover, etc) but when it’s digital that doesn’t matter..... so is there anything that makes it worth the higher price? I know the Spider-Man masterworks had some nice bonus artwork or background info...do the Daredevil masterworks offer the same whereas the epics don’t?

Also, what other Daredevil collections are recommended? I only have the Born Again collection. I definitely want the classics, as I love reading the old comics from the 60’s/70’s. Any others on sale right now that are must-read? Thanks!

Extraordinary Member

The Epic collections use the same versions that the Masterworks have, and the same content mostly (except the introductions by Stan Lee, which are pretty skippable). But in digital you will see the exact same remasterings.

I would recommend the two Epic Collections with Ann Nocenti writing and John Romita Jr. drawing (A Touch of Typhoid and Heart of Darkness). They took over not long after Born Again and their work is also dark and socially-relevant, though in a different way.

The three classic Epics have a lot of great art, especially once Gene Colan took over drawing, but be warned, Daredevil was a much sillier book in the 1960s and didn't really become the character we know today until the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The Epic collections use the same versions that the Masterworks have, and the same content mostly (except the introductions by Stan Lee, which are pretty skippable). But in digital you will see the exact same remasterings.

I would recommend the two Epic Collections with Ann Nocenti writing and John Romita Jr. drawing (A Touch of Typhoid and Heart of Darkness). They took over not long after Born Again and their work is also dark and socially-relevant, though in a different way.

The three classic Epics have a lot of great art, especially once Gene Colan took over drawing, but be warned, Daredevil was a much sillier book in the 1960s and didn't really become the character we know today until the '80s.
    I have to agree with all of this.

I'll add, when the MMW's were $3 each in some of Amazons crazy digital sales I made the mistake of getting the first 11 I think? MMWs of Daredevil Wow! Hard to get through would be an understatement. I would also recommend the Frank Miller collections that predate Born Again then Ann Nocenti.

I know Gene Colan art is very atmospheric and pretty but I'm not sure it was the best fit for the title. A title that is very hard to read a good chunk of in one sitting. I found myself wondering how different the book would have been with Wally Wood doing the 100 issue run.

Edit Final note the first bit of Franks run where he didn't write it is not indicative of the later work that made him a legend.
    Last edited by Tony; 10-19-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks for the great info! I'll look into those!

Yeah, I know the classic Daredevil comics are quite silly (I read the first 5 issues of Daredevil through my Comixology Unlimited...but I like to buy as many of the collections outright as I can, cause somehow it makes me feel like I actually own the collections...though technically, I don't as it's still DRM controlled...which is why I import the TPB's whenever I get the chance), but strangely, I have really enjoyed reading those just as I did the Spider-Man classics and any other classics that I already have read. There's just something about that era - the vocabulary used, little things that indicate the social atmosphere of that era (calling Karen Page the most attractive "accessory" to Matt and Foggy's offices! Could never get away with sexist stuff like that these days...not that I enjoy sexism, but to me it's more of a historical look into that era), and the incessant explaining of every single detail in thought bubbles....and the logic! I love seeing how the characters were first created and then see them transform into what they are now. But then again, I'm the kind of person that can't start a book, video game, movie or comic (obviously) without starting from the first in the series and going through them all chronologically.

Anyway, so the consensus for the classics is that the Epic collections are the better choice for Daredevil (at least until issue 63, since the Epics stop there) since they are cheaper with nothing worthwhile being omitted from the masterworks?

Thanks!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Stick with digital, and get the Epic Collections - you get more bang for your buck as far as content/quantity goes.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

If there's important bonus material in the Masterworks (original art, etc) it usually is included at the end of the Epics.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    If there's important bonus material in the Masterworks (original art, etc) it usually is included at the end of the Epics.
    Oh really?? So the epics are definitely the way to go.

But then....why are the masterworks so expensive even in digital form!?!? I mean, I know several issues are still only available in masterworks form (as far as collections go), but still!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The Masterworks are expensive in digital because they're expensive in print. As a general rule, online services charge the same price to not undercut the print market. Personally, even in print I prefer Epic Collections because I like paperback and you get more for less of a price (plus, they're making sure they don't fall out of print so you can get them years later fairly easily).

The biggest downside to the Epic Collection right now is they are printed out of order so it's missing some stories that the Masterworks have already printed. More importantly, the best Daredevil stories (Frank Miller's run) will be printed in Masterworks in the next two or three years but likely will get printed in the Epic Collection last.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The biggest downside to the Epic Collection right now is they are printed out of order so it's missing some stories that the Masterworks have already printed. More importantly, the best Daredevil stories (Frank Miller's run) will be printed in Masterworks in the next two or three years but likely will get printed in the Epic Collection last.
    I would argue that the biggest downside to the Epic Collection right now is that Marvel recently decided to start printing them (and all of their trades) on toilet paper...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Masterworks are expensive in digital because they're expensive in print. As a general rule, online services charge the same price to not undercut the print market. Personally, even in print I prefer Epic Collections because I like paperback and you get more for less of a price (plus, they're making sure they don't fall out of print so you can get them years later fairly easily).

Will they print those in Epic Collection since they already have their own complete paperback collections of their own?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I would argue that the biggest downside to the Epic Collection right now is that Marvel recently decided to start printing them (and all of their trades) on toilet paper...
    While I appreciate the joke, the question was specifically about digital.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Will they print those in Epic Collection since they already have their own complete paperback collections of their own?
    I've seen Epics reprinting previously reprinted material.
    See the Separate Reality Epic and the Separate Reality TPB for Dr. Strange.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yes. The plan is to print everything in Volume 1. Besides, the Frank Miller collections won't offer identical material to the Epic Collection since the Epic Collection includes everything, including fill-in stories while the Frank Miller collections understandably skip Daredevil #162, which was drawn by Steve Ditko.

Similarly, there were two Ann Nocenti trades - Daredevil Legends: Typhoid Mary and Lone Stranger. Both skip fill-in stories - the first was a story written by Fabian Nicieza the second was a story written by Nocenti but was another Steve Ditko fill-in. The Epic Collections reprint the Nocenti material plus more Nocenti material (the Heart of Darkness trade goes all the way through the Mephisto story) plus any fill-ins along the way plus any Annuals that came out at the time.

Awhile back I took a stab at mapping Daredevil's Epic Collection. This is what I think the books will look like with possible titles:

Code:
    Volume 1 (472 Pages) - Daredevil 1-21				(The Man Without Fear)
    Volume 2 (520 Pages) - Daredevil 22-41, Ann. 1, FF 73		(Mike Murdock Must Die)
    Volume 3 (472 Pages) - Daredevil 42-63				(Brother, Take My Hand)
    Volume 4 (485 Pages) - Daredevil 64-86, Iron Man 35-36		(A Life on the Line)
    Volume 5 (460 Pages) - Daredevil 87-107, Avengers 111		(Daredevil and the Black Widow)
    Volume 6 (474 Pages) - Daredevil 108-132, Marvel Two-in-One 3	(Foggy Nelson, Agent of SHIELD) or (Bullseye Rules Supreme)
    Volume 7 (478 Pages) - Daredevil 133-158, Ann. 4, GR 20		(Duel)
    Volume 8 (517 Pages) - Daredevil 159-182			(Gangwar) or (Marked for Murder) or (In the Hands of Bullseye) - A lot of good choices here.
    Volume 9 (412 Pages) - Daredevil 183-200			(Child's Play) or (Good Guys Wear Red)
    Volume 10 (390 Pages) - Daredevil 201-218			(The Blindness Men Wish For)
    Volume 11 (405 Pages) - Daredevil 219-233, Love and War		(Born Again)
    Volume 12 (446 Pages) - Daredevil 234-252			(Save the Planet)
    Volume 13 (463 Pages) - Daredevil 253-270, Punisher 10		(A Touch of Typhoid)
    Volume 14 (488 Pages) - Daredevil 271-282, Ann. 5-6, etc.	(Heart of Darkness)
    Volume 15 (365 Pages) - Daredevil 283-296, Annual 7		(Through the Eyes of the Enemy)
    Volume 16 (375 Pages) - Daredevil 297-309, Annual 8		(Last Rites)
    Volume 17 (402 Pages) - Daredevil 310-318, Annual 9, TMWOF 1-5	(Devil Ge Rouge)
    Volume 18 (456 Pages) - Daredevil 319-332, Ann. 10		(Fall From Grace)
    Volume 19 (440 Pages) - Daredevil 333-344, Root of Evil 1-4	(Root of Evil)
    Volume 20 (??? Pages) - Daredevil 345-364			(Crime and Punishment)
    Volume 21 (504 Pages) - Daredevil 365-380, -1, DD/DP Ann.	(Widow's Kiss)

Yes. The plan is to print everything in Volume 1. Besides, the Frank Miller collections won't offer identical material to the Epic Collection since the Epic Collection includes everything, including fill-in stories while the Frank Miller collections understandably skip Daredevil #162, which was drawn by Steve Ditko.

Similarly, there were two Ann Nocenti trades - Daredevil Legends: Typhoid Mary and Lone Stranger. Both skip fill-in stories - the first was a story written by Fabian Nicieza the second was a story written by Nocenti but was another Steve Ditko fill-in. The Epic Collections reprint the Nocenti material plus more Nocenti material (the Heart of Darkness trade goes all the way through the Mephisto story) plus any fill-ins along the way plus any Annuals that came out at the time.

Awhile back I took a stab at mapping Daredevil's Epic Collection. This is what I think the books will look like with possible titles:

Code:
    Volume 1 (472 Pages) - Daredevil 1-21				(The Man Without Fear)
    Volume 2 (520 Pages) - Daredevil 22-41, Ann. 1, FF 73		(Mike Murdock Must Die)
    Volume 3 (472 Pages) - Daredevil 42-63				(Brother, Take My Hand)
    Volume 4 (485 Pages) - Daredevil 64-86, Iron Man 35-36		(A Life on the Line)
    Volume 5 (460 Pages) - Daredevil 87-107, Avengers 111		(Daredevil and the Black Widow)
    Volume 6 (474 Pages) - Daredevil 108-132, Marvel Two-in-One 3	(Foggy Nelson, Agent of SHIELD) or (Bullseye Rules Supreme)
    Volume 7 (478 Pages) - Daredevil 133-158, Ann. 4, GR 20		(Duel)
    Volume 8 (517 Pages) - Daredevil 159-182			(Gangwar) or (Marked for Murder) or (In the Hands of Bullseye) - A lot of good choices here.
    Volume 9 (412 Pages) - Daredevil 183-200			(Child's Play) or (Good Guys Wear Red)
    Volume 10 (390 Pages) - Daredevil 201-218			(The Blindness Men Wish For)
    Volume 11 (405 Pages) - Daredevil 219-233, Love and War		(Born Again)
    Volume 12 (446 Pages) - Daredevil 234-252			(Save the Planet)
    Volume 13 (463 Pages) - Daredevil 253-270, Punisher 10		(A Touch of Typhoid)
    Volume 14 (488 Pages) - Daredevil 271-282, Ann. 5-6, etc.	(Heart of Darkness)
    Volume 15 (365 Pages) - Daredevil 283-296, Annual 7		(Through the Eyes of the Enemy)
    Volume 16 (375 Pages) - Daredevil 297-309, Annual 8		(Last Rites)
    Volume 17 (402 Pages) - Daredevil 310-318, Annual 9, TMWOF 1-5	(Devil Ge Rouge)
    Volume 18 (456 Pages) - Daredevil 319-332, Ann. 10		(Fall From Grace)
    Volume 19 (440 Pages) - Daredevil 333-344, Root of Evil 1-4	(Root of Evil)
    Volume 20 (??? Pages) - Daredevil 345-364			(Crime and Punishment)
    Volume 21 (504 Pages) - Daredevil 365-380, -1, DD/DP Ann.	(Widow's Kiss)
    Good to know! And that is very impressive.