Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Theory about Sideways Superman.

What if this isn't Nuperman so much as a young Rebirth Superman? Hear me out. We know next to nothing about his Rebirth history. And he is supposed to be an amalgamation of New 52 and pre-Flashpoint Superman. The assumption was that he got his pre-Flashpoint origin back but what if that's not the case? What if he has the New 52 origin and the pre-Flashpoint history as Superman? There is already some evidence to support this. The Kents were killed in a car crash just like in New 52. This would actually make some sense. Morrison's run was the most popular thing about New 52 and the biggest hang up people had with it was that it undid the marriage and his long history. This would fix both those things. He still gets to keep his New 52 origin while also getting to keep the marriage and long history. There is also the rocket he came to Earth in. It doesn't look like any previous version ever used before. And his history is still in kind of a "limbo" period. So there is room for this. Even something like Action #977-978 would be up for debate in terms of whether or not it still "counts". Is this too weird a theory or do you think I'm onto something here?
    Assassinate Putin!

I don't necessarily think its a weird theory, but on a personal level I'd be rather let down if it were true. At this point, the appeal to me of the Morrison origin is that it is indeed a slightly different Superman than the main guy. At this point I don't want that origin's Superman to "grow into" E-0 Superman anymore. What I like is that he grew into the guy a writer like Greg Pak wrote. IOW, in a general sense I like him the way he is. So I hope he's a separate incarnation.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-19-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What if this isn't Nuperman so much as a young Rebirth Superman? Hear me out. We know next to nothing about his Rebirth history. And he is supposed to be an amalgamation of New 52 and pre-Flashpoint Superman. The assumption was that he got his pre-Flashpoint origin back but what if that's not the case? What if he has the New 52 origin and the pre-Flashpoint history as Superman? There is already some evidence to support this. The Kents were killed in a car crash just like in New 52. This would actually make some sense. Morrison's run was the most popular thing about New 52 and the biggest hang up people had with it was that it undid the marriage and his long history. This would fix both those things. He still gets to keep his New 52 origin while also getting to keep the marriage and long history. There is also the rocket he came to Earth in. It doesn't look like any previous version ever used before. And his history is still in kind of a "limbo" period. So there is room for this. Even something like Action #977-978 would be up for debate in terms of whether or not it still "counts". Is this too weird a theory or do you think I'm onto something here?
    I would really like this to be the case. I actually really like this idea. I do want some more of the New 52 Morisson Superman traits to be in the current version. I want him to exhibit more of a merged personality and this could be a way of getting there. I truly hope that you're right.

Astonishing Member

It certainly is a possibility. We'll just have to wait and see.

If possible, I would like the current version to stop pretending that it's an amalgamation of the Pre and Post-Flashpoint Superman when DC has done nothing to prove it since Rebirth started, beyond the tacky and very crude merging in Reborn. A reveal that this guys is a New-52 like Superman ( a Superman from an Earth identic to the New 52 period but where is Final Days didn't happen) would be a lot better.

For a start, origins are barely brought back to write interesting stories for any old comics character, and one of Superman's problem is that they keep retreading them, but changing things. It would be better for DC to stick with what they chose his origins would be with Reborn and let this version of the character be its own. And honestly, there is plenty of ways to explain why he could be a different version than the current guy's past, and even why he would have returned to a jean and t-shirt costume over his Kryptonian armor. And I can prove it.

"After the events of Darkseid War, Endgame and Truth, Superman and the League realized that they had became too aloof from the common peoples and disbanded, trying to find new ways to connect with them, while keeping in contact. Kal-El, who had seen his identity revealed, chose to embrace it, thanks to his relationship with Diana and the perspective it gave him, and chose to return to his simpler look as a debutant hero, to display his humility and never forget that he isn't there to save peoples and stand over them but to help them so they can become the best version of themselves. He is Superman, the champion of the oppressed, the anger of those who can't afford to be angry, and none his too powerful to avoid Justice anymore."