Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel this is very inaccurate. Luke Cage was never as dark as JJ or Punisher and Daredevil and Iron Fist still were closer to being more optimistic than those two. Luke Cage was a blacksploitation show with a more modern bent and JJ's entire two seasons were all about mysteries. These shows tackled themes and subject matter that very few superhero shows are willing to touch and on a scale that's never been seen before.
    Why is it a blacksploitation show? I would completely disagree. It was diverse and certainly ethnic in tone, but I didn't get the feeling of exploitation of the culture. It actually felt more rich and varied than most of the other Marvel shows in terms of the location being prominently distinguished.

Harlem was treated as a character you felt like you were in Luke's Harlem. Daredevil for instance, yeah yeah Hell's kitchen...but it doesn't feel like they are showing me what makes Hell's Kitchen different than New York in general. The point being I think a lot of care was taken by the writers and production into Luke Cage, and I don't feel like they were exploiting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Why is it a blacksploitation show? I would completely disagree. It was diverse and certainly ethnic in tone, but I didn't get the feeling of exploitation of the culture. It actually felt more rich and varied than most of the other Marvel shows in terms of the location being prominently distinguished.

Harlem was treated as a character you felt like you were in Luke's Harlem. Daredevil for instance, yeah yeah Hell's kitchen...but it doesn't feel like they are showing me what makes Hell's Kitchen different than New York in general. The point being I think a lot of care was taken by the writers and production into Luke Cage, and I don't feel like they were exploiting anything.
    The funny thing is Marvel really sells Hell's Kitchen as a lot bigger than it is protecting Harlem is like protecting a small town or village but Hell's Kitchen is a few blocks. I bet there are skyscrapers in NYC which cover "Land" vertically than Hell's Kitchen does horizontally.

Ah ****. RIP Netflix Like Cage. It was more solid than I had hoped, I'll miss it. Cottonmouth leveling a Chinese restaurant with a rocket launcher and burrying Luke Cage and the owner was some of the coldest bronzeagecomic **** I've sever seen. Loved it.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The funny thing is Marvel really sells Hell's Kitchen as a lot bigger than it is protecting Harlem is like protecting a small town or village but Hell's Kitchen is a few blocks. I bet there are skyscrapers in NYC which cover "Land" vertically than Hell's Kitchen does horizontally.
    Considering MCU Daredevil gets around by running on roof tops, it almost makes sense that it can't be TOO big. It's not like the comic where he's zipping around like Spider-Man covering blocks at a time.

Though I'm sure Kingpins reach extends far beyond just Hells Kitchen, which forces Matt at times to extend his reach. I think Fisk being the Kingpin of Crime means he to some degree has his finger in all of New York. Or at least he's trying to.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like to see POWER MAN AND THE IRON FIST as a film (or a whole new show!) No need for Luke Cage to fade away just because the series has ended.

The Netlfix shows are the best thing Marvel has out there.

I hope Daredevil can stick around. I love that show.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-21-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Amazing Member

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but the cancellations seems to calculated. Netflix cuts two Marvel shows so if they were to return would have to scramble for a home. Everyone is saying send them to Disney Play but with their adult content wouldn’t fit there. Plus maybe that platform production slate is filled.

Would Luke Cage and Iron Fist be better off at Hulu?? I think so, but would the shows do better there? Are there many Hulu subscribers?

It just feels like a chess move by Netflix to counterattack Disney Play

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but the cancellations seems to calculated. Netflix cuts two Marvel shows so if they were to return would have to scramble for a home. Everyone is saying send them to Disney Play but with their adult content wouldn’t fit there. Plus maybe that platform production slate is filled.

Would Luke Cage and Iron Fist be better off at Hulu?? I think so, but would the shows do better there? Are there many Hulu subscribers?

It just feels like a chess move by Netflix to counterattack Disney Play
    Doubtful. Iron Fist was a flop and Cage was the next lowest in the pecking order. Daredevil is the crown jewel. Punisher was a standout and known character. Jones had an excellent first season. And Defenders was the big end game team up show. Cafe and Fist were the most expendable

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

Blaxploitation in the sense of the setting (definitely urban), commentary (social justice issues), enemies (corrupt politicians and corporate interests) race relations, music styles, fashion, and slang. Blaxsploitation as a movie genre rather than the literal definition of the portmanteau. In the case of genre, it generally doesn't mean exploitation of Black people and labor by someone outside their community and on the contrary, a lot of modern day Black talent and aesthetics can be traced back to being inspired by films of this era. That's because blaxploitation films tended to have up and coming Black talent behind and in front of the cameras simultaneously. (in fairness, there is some pushback to how stereotypes were handled in these films, but on the whole the overall genre's been very influential on modern day Black culture in America, Afros, martial arts, paintings, poetry, and all).

With that said, I see where Agent Z is coming from because the makers of the show were definitely going for that 1970s black film era feel -- the music, the commentary, and sometimes the hamminess (right down to the rather corny pick up lines Luke Cage would use to flirt with women!), much of it could be lifted straight from the 70s but without resorting to pandering stereotypes either, thanks to a more modern lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Luke Cage Canceled by Netflix
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Oh wait, i never watched that show...

2 seasons only though, it didn't last very long. Ah well, makes me kinda curious about it, maybe i'm gonna watch it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Doubtful. Iron Fist was a flop and Cage was the next lowest in the pecking order. Daredevil is the crown jewel. Punisher was a standout and known character. Jones had an excellent first season. And Defenders was the big end game team up show. Cafe and Fist were the most expendable
    How badly did Iron Fist flop? How close was Luke Cage to Iron Fists numbers? How much better is Daredevil doing with viewership numbers?

Cage's cancellation has more to do with cutting down to 10 episodes and showrunners/producers getting in a tiff over early, more realized episodes. If the trades are to be believed. Nothing to do with "ratings" or "critics."

Iron Fist on the other hand ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Cage's cancellation has more to do with cutting down to 10 episodes and showrunners/producers getting in a tiff over early, more realized episodes. If the trades are to be believed. Nothing to do with "ratings" or "critics."

Iron Fist on the other hand ...
    Exactly.

Nothing I’ve read regarding the cancellation has anything to do with ratings (for Luke Cage that is).

Netflix never renewed Defenders, so an anthology show might be out the picture, too. We'll see.

With Rosario Dawson being seen around the set of Runaways season 2 (she has a friend working the show), it sure has filled the speculation that Heroes of Hire / Daughters of the Dragon might be moving over. She was also seen during season 1, but again it was in support of a friend.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Netflix never renewed Defenders, so an anthology show might be out the picture, too. We'll see.

With Rosario Dawson being seen around the set of Runaways season 2 (she has a friend working the show), it sure has filled the speculation that Heroes of Hire / Daughters of the Dragon might be moving over. She was also seen during season 1, but again it was in support of a friend.
    If she's done with the Netfix stuff (and I hope she's not), it might be cool if Claire shows up elsewhere in the mcu. Assuming she can and there are no issues with using her in outside stuff. Runaways, Cloak and Sagger, maybe even Spider-Man or Dr. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If she's done with the Netfix stuff (and I hope she's not), it might be cool if Claire shows up elsewhere in the mcu. Assuming she can and there are no issues with using her in outside stuff. Runaways, Cloak and Sagger, maybe even Spider-Man or Dr. Strange.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into that because she was there for S1 and never showed. And it sounds like she's done with EVERYTHING till her children are older. I don't expect her to go full Rick Moranis on us but you never now.

I think what's going on with the Defenders IP is more pressing.