1 2.56%
  • Blockbuster

2 5.13%
  • Bane

1 2.56%
  • Other

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is DC's best equivalent to the Hulk?

Like it says. Who's your favorite, and who's the one with the most story potential?

I'de say none entirely.
    Yet several have different aspects.
    Grundy embodies physical aspects of the Hulking brute.
    Man-Bat a bit of the scientist Jekyll & Hyde set up and personality conflict.
    Etrigan as well, although not a scientist is purely a supernatural and magical transform, is not like Hulk at all.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-20-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    . . . Man-Bat a bit of the scientist Jekyl & Hyde set up and personality conflict.
    To me, Man-Bat was more like DC's equivalent of Marvel's Dr. Curt Connors / The Lizard.

Boisterously Confused

Etrigan as well, although not a scientist is purely a supernatural and magical transform, is not like Hulk at all.
    I disagree. While you are correct about the supernatural aspect, The Demon is a consequence of Jason Blood's actions, as The Hulk was of Banner's. The Hulk isn't usually able to transform at will, as Etrigan/Blood does, there have been depictions where Banner/Hulk were able to control the change. At times, Banner and The Hulk have - for all practical purposes - been depicted as separate entities almost as fully as Blood and Etrigan have. Both pairs have enemies that hunt them.

IMO, the key difference between them is that Blood/Etrigan have a greater tendency to go looking for trouble, and Banner/Hulk are more likely to have it come looking for them.

Although I haven't read the series yet, it seems that the current Damage is the best tit-for-tat Hulk proxy there is (ha word play). It seems clear that the character was built specifically for those parallels though, just like most of the New Age characters.

However, I think Etrigan is probably the best Hulk archetype DC has in its stable. There are some obvious differences of course, but Etrigan and Blood have a lot of Hulk-isms; more than enough to justify the comparison, and Etrigan has a wider mythos he's connected to and helped build, interesting dynamics with other characters, and has withstood the test of time.

He's never become as popular as Banner, but I think if someone told me "Make a DC roster that resembles the Avengers" Etrigan would most likely bring the most to the table out of all the various Hulk-like DC heroes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Why isn't Kitty Faulker aka Rampage on that list?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Why isn't Kitty Faulker aka Rampage on that list?
    Does she still exist in the post-Flashpoint continuity?
    (And being female, wouldn't she be more like She-Hulk?)

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I disagree. While you are correct about the supernatural aspect, The Demon is a consequence of Jason Blood's actions, as The Hulk was of Banner's. The Hulk isn't usually able to transform at will, as Etrigan/Blood does, there have been depictions where Banner/Hulk were able to control the change. At times, Banner and The Hulk have - for all practical purposes - been depicted as separate entities almost as fully as Blood and Etrigan have. Both pairs have enemies that hunt them.
    Yeah that's why I clearly said:
    None entirely. Yet several have different aspects... ... Etrigan as well.

I'de say none entirely.
    Yet several have different aspects.
    Etrigan as well,
    Indicating what does makes him analogues to the Hulk

And then why he's different: IE "Not entirely" like the Hulk.
    ...although not a scientist is purely a supernatural and magical transform, is not like Hulk at all'.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-20-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Solomon Grundy. Dumb Grundy is usually not much different then Savage Hulk in characterization. They also talk in "hulk speak". The resurrections give writers free reign to write him as they please much like Banner having multiple personalities. I'm sure John's gave Grundy a similar dynamic to Banner and Hulk in his darkest night mini that focused on Cyrus Gold.

I would say Doomsday is DC's equivalent to the Hulk in terms of being an agent of pure destruction. However, because Marvel constantly reinvents and evolves the Hulk I don't think DC has an exact parallel for the Hulk in the way say a Sentry or Hyperion parallels Superman, or Moon Knight parallels Batman (initially). Etrigan is a close one and Damage is closer and more deliberate effort.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I voted for the new incarnation of Damage.
    At first glace of both characters at least, it's hard to argue.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. Who's your favorite, and who's the one with the most story potential?
    What does the title of this thread have to do with personal favorites or story potential?
    With regards to who in the D C Universe most matches Hulk with how he was a human who's body was radically
    altered and is near the top of power levels, I would have to say
    CAPTAIN ATOM

I like Solomon Grundy because he was born on a Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I like Solomon Grundy because he was born on a Monday.
    And pre-dates Hulk at that.