1 2.56%
  • Blockbuster

2 5.13%
  • Bane

1 2.56%
  • Other

4 10.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting question. There alot of several Hulks proxies in DC around (maybe a natural reaction to the huge number of Superman analogs in Marvel, but I digress...). Some of them share some characteristics and some differences but the list is a little incomplete. Analize it.

I would take out Bane and Atrocitus. Depiste their hulking appearance, they don't have the same dichotomy as Jekyl/Hyde of Hulk. Both are monsters who have accepted themselves.

Man-Bat had that characteristic but his appearance and history makes him close to The Lizard instead Hulk.

Swamp Thing is more like a hippie Hulk, depiste the orign. Also, his main drive in the origin was self-pity instead rage, as the Hulk. Also, his powers and how he use them put them in another kind of characters.

Solomon Grundy shares the hulking appearance and strengh even if he existed before the Hulk, most of the times he has been worked similar to the Hulk, including the multiple personalities aspect.

Etrigan could be considered a "brother" of Hulk (same parent) with similarities, depiste the science/magic difference. Heis the most close to the Hulk, in the classic sense, yet his stories were more close to the terror tales. And Etrigan always has been more congruent personality wise than the Hulk. Always evil.

OMAC, would be an analog only if we are talking about New52 OMAC aka personalityless OMAC. The more classic OMAC was a rework of the Captain America.

Blockbuster, yes he was a Hulk analog, but for Batman strengh Level. More like a Mr. Fixit analog since some time.

And now we have Damage, who is an one hour Hulk, created by the army with a militar behind his trail... We must admit than is very in the nose, but of course the whole NAOS line was a big jab at Marvel.

There stil are several others "Hulks" around: Rampage (same origin as Banner), Loosecannon (who also changed colors), Doomsday (need I to say something about him?), Behemoth (remember that guy from earth-8?) and I know I'm forgetting someone else.

But we are wondering for who is the best analog and the one with more story potential. Sometimes that depends more on the creators in the moment and in which direction can you go with the character. Or you can with something very Hulkish (as in Damage) or go in another direction. But in narrative terms I say than Etrigan is the most probable.
    Yet Damage is doing a decent work.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I voted for Damage as he seems to be the closest equivalent to the Hulk, which I feel is what DC was going for when they created him.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I really wish DC would have kept pushing Grundy as their Hulk equivalent. The supernatural/zombie aspect of the character makes him just different enough from the Hulk to make him his own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really wish DC would have kept pushing Grundy as their Hulk equivalent. The supernatural/zombie aspect of the character makes him just different enough from the Hulk to make him his own thing.
    It's funny how now that DC is trying to create an action-based Hulk with Damage, Marvel is going the Grundy route and taking the Hulk more toward horror.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I think the version of Grundy from Justice League Unlimited was the best Hulk equivalent. He was even a stand in for Hulk with the show had its version of Marvel’s The Defenders. Aquaman = Namor, Dr. Fate = Dr. Strange, AMAZO = Silver Surfer, and Grundy = Hulk.
    Plus the episode Wake the Dead was really heartbreaking.

Solomon Grundy, I would say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Damage is currently best Hulk equivalent,Now the question is will DC stick with him long enough for him to catch on

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Interesting question. There alot of several Hulks proxies in DC around (maybe a natural reaction to the huge number of Superman analogs in Marvel, but I digress...). Some of them share some characteristics and some differences but the list is a little incomplete. Analize it.

I would take out Bane and Atrocitus. Depiste their hulking appearance, they don't have the same dichotomy as Jekyl/Hyde of Hulk. Both are monsters who have accepted themselves.

Man-Bat had that characteristic but his appearance and history makes him close to The Lizard instead Hulk.

Swamp Thing is more like a hippie Hulk, depiste the orign. Also, his main drive in the origin was self-pity instead rage, as the Hulk. Also, his powers and how he use them put them in another kind of characters.

Solomon Grundy shares the hulking appearance and strengh even if he existed before the Hulk, most of the times he has been worked similar to the Hulk, including the multiple personalities aspect.

Etrigan could be considered a "brother" of Hulk (same parent) with similarities, depiste the science/magic difference. Heis the most close to the Hulk, in the classic sense, yet his stories were more close to the terror tales. And Etrigan always has been more congruent personality wise than the Hulk. Always evil.

OMAC, would be an analog only if we are talking about New52 OMAC aka personalityless OMAC. The more classic OMAC was a rework of the Captain America.

Blockbuster, yes he was a Hulk analog, but for Batman strengh Level. More like a Mr. Fixit analog since some time.

And now we have Damage, who is an one hour Hulk, created by the army with a militar behind his trail... We must admit than is very in the nose, but of course the whole NAOS line was a big jab at Marvel.

There stil are several others "Hulks" around: Rampage (same origin as Banner), Loosecannon (who also changed colors), Doomsday (need I to say something about him?), Behemoth (remember that guy from earth-8?) and I know I'm forgetting someone else.

But we are wondering for who is the best analog and the one with more story potential. Sometimes that depends more on the creators in the moment and in which direction can you go with the character. Or you can with something very Hulkish (as in Damage) or go in another direction. But in narrative terms I say than Etrigan is the most probable.
    Yet Damage is doing a decent work.

Omac has more personality than Damage.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I picked Solomon Grundy because he and Hulk both share a love of distressed fabric.

Mighty Member

Either Rampage, Damage or Loose Cannon.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member

Both the Hulk and Solomon Grundy seem to be derived from the classic Frankenstein Monster.