Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Mark Waid's Doctor Strange

Is it any good? Thinking of picking up the back issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Is it any good? Thinking of picking up the back issues.
    It's very good. If you go to the Doctor Strange Appreciation thread, you'll see a lot of favorable response to it.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...e-Appreciation

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

As someone unhappy with the Dr. Strange stories for DECADES, now, I'm...well, relieved...to say I'm at least enjoying the new series. Great? Naw, not yet, anyway, but readable, enjoyable, words I haven't been able to apply to a Doc title for a sadly long, long time. Worth the time, and cover price, at least. (And it certainly LOOKS nice!).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

The art alone is worth the price of admission. However Mark Waid is writing a Strange that reads like Strange again. Not as a RDJ sounding knock-off. Which is something that annoyed the hell out of me during Aaron's run on the character.

It's very good. Better than most books that Marvel is putting out right now.

I love it. It's been a really good read and the art has been stellar.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

I loved the Donny Cates arc, but it's better. Mark Waid really understand Doctor Strange.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Honestly I really liked what Mark Waid did with Doctor Strange getting new abilities and a new costume, it was one of those moments where I actually went along with the comic and said "why has no one thought of that before"?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

I think it's ok. I liked Aaron's and especially Cate's runs better. I haven't been moved by anything from Waid in a while. He's a polished professional though and if you're into a more classic, old fashioned style he's good at delivering that. He's written thousands of pages over decades so that might be why I don't feel much energy or a backlog of ideas just waiting to burst out, but do feel a very skilled technician who can write tight, sound stories. It just depends what you're looking for imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I think it's ok. I liked Aaron's and especially Cate's runs better. I haven't been moved by anything from Waid in a while. He's a polished professional though and if you're into a more classic, old fashioned style he's good at delivering that. He's written thousands of pages over decades so that might be why I don't feel much energy or a backlog of ideas just waiting to burst out, but do feel a very skilled technician who can write tight, sound stories. It just depends what you're looking for imo.
    Just out of curiosity, have you read any of Doc's older runs? Stern, or maybe Quinn?

(Personally, I think this is the best Doc has been in quite a long while.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you read any of Doc's older runs? Stern, or maybe Quinn?

(Personally, I think this is the best Doc has been in quite a long while.)
    I've read the majority of his solo series. I haven't read some stuff from the seventies and haven't read much between maybe 95 to 2005. Did Quinn do the period when he had the skinnier, ponytail and sunglasses look? That period was recently collected in an Epic Collection and I thought that was an odd choice. Although I guess the simplest answer is others liked it a lot more than I did.

I can understand the appeal of Waid's stuff. He's just not what I'm really looking for and excited by right now.

I've read the majority of his solo series. I haven't read some stuff from the seventies and haven't read much between maybe 95 to 2005. Did Quinn do the period when he had the skinnier, ponytail and sunglasses look? That period was recently collected in an Epic Collection and I thought that was an odd choice. Although I guess the simplest answer is others liked it a lot more than I did.
    Yeah, but I was actually thinking about Gillis, anyway. In my defense, I'm recovering from a cold.

I can understand the appeal of Waid's stuff. He's just not what I'm really looking for and excited by right now.
    Oh, that's fine. I was just curious.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Yeah, but I was actually thinking about Gillis, anyway. In my defense, I'm recovering from a cold.

Oh, that's fine. I was just curious.
    Gillis... not familiar with him I don't think. What era was he? Would you recommend it?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The art alone is worth the price of admission. However Mark Waid is writing a Strange that reads like Strange again. Not as a RDJ sounding knock-off. Which is something that annoyed the hell out of me during Aaron's run on the character.
    Totally agree. Sais is an amazing artist. Waid is also killing it, but the art is simple amazing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Gillis... not familiar with him I don't think. What era was he? Would you recommend it?
    He wrote the character from DOCTOR STRANGE V2 #74-81, through the STRANGE TALES era, up to issue #4 of DOCTOR STRANGE: SORCERER SUPREME.

And yes, I would (but not as highly as Stern )