View Poll Results: Does Daredevil Actually Like His Powers?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Matt Loves His Abilities and Uses Them For Fun!

7 77.78%
  • NO! Matt Would Rather Be Normal And Not Be Overwhelmed All The Time!

2 22.22%

Default Does Daredevil Actually Like His Powers?

So like the title suggest this is a topic to prove or disprove if Daredevil actually enjoys having his powers?

This isn't a question of if Matt would rather have his sight back. Nor is it a question if Matt enjoys being Daredevil. (Especially, this since I think Matt would have became a super hero even if he hadn't recieved his abilities. He would be like a low budget Batman but still.)

This topic is a question if he like's having his powers overall in his day to day. Not in one particular moment but as a key factor to who he is. I'm a long time reader of Daredevil but to me it somewhat seems more so that his powers are this burden or bring him very little pleasure. However, I'm wondering if I may have missed something and maybe he really does like having all his sense incredibly enhanced.

Vote, Share, Discuss, and Post Examples for yes or no.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

He has had sight for short spurts and it has been a mixed bag. I think he enjoys being a walking lie detector and other perks his powers have helped him as a lawyer as much as his superheroing.

I feel like he rather not have be blind but he's not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. If he is to be daredevil and be blind, he rather have his gifts than not.

I think he'd rather have his powers than be blind without powers.

And certainly his powers are useful both in his day and night job.

Have there been any examples of Matt actually just loving his abilities?

When I read some of the older X-Men and Fantastic Four books there are moments when Storm, Human Torch, and even Wolverine took time to just revel in their powers. I don't know if I have ever read anything where Matt has done something like that.

Matt seems to use his abilities similar to how people use a smart phone. Where it's nice to have but if some new shinny gadget comes out or is available it risk getting replaced.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

When Matt does get his sight back, he often doesn't seem to know what to do with it. It's not how he's used to experiencing the world.

I think that's why he doesn't really seem to revel in his powers the way other characters do. It's less this fun and great thing for him and more just how he experiences the world.

Boisterously Confused

I picked "no" because I doubt it loves what he is without reservation. I suspect it's more somewhere in the middle.

There's a lot of times that he rather be normal. That said, especially early on in his published tales, he clearly got off on being able to bound about the rooftops in a way that wouldn't be possible without his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    When Matt does get his sight back, he often doesn't seem to know what to do with it. It's not how he's used to experiencing the world.

I think that's why he doesn't really seem to revel in his powers the way other characters do. It's less this fun and great thing for him and more just how he experiences the world.
    Well his powers help him function in small ways not just the hero stuff. Grabbing his toothbrush involves using his powers the same powers that make swinging through the city possible.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think the narrow sense of the question is does Matt enjoy enhanced senses. Otherwise, things get messy. There's no doubt he loves the thrill of running, jumping, diving, feeling the wind in his hair, etc. All the stuff that would be impossible without his senses, but aren't his senses. There's also no doubt that he's had times where he wants to keep his enhanced senses even if it meant not getting his sight back (although this is often out of a sense of duty).

The question seems to be does he enjoy his enhanced senses? I think the answer can be yes. He enjoys being able to use his enhanced senses to learn about the world around him. There are days he seems just happy to be alive in a vibrant city like New York and he hears all that's going around him as proof of that. Other days, it brings him pain and he doesn't enjoy it on those days. I don't think I have a good answer for whether his senses bring him more joy or more pain when divorced from everything else, but there is certainly evidence that he's enjoyed his senses.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

He needs it to fight crime. That's about it.

He wouldn't be the same character if he had sight though.