Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Police Brutality in Gotham City?

Of all the major superheroes, Batman is (technically) the most human, the closest to the street level struggle between law and crime.

Has Batman ever dealt with police brutality? Or is Gotham pretty locked into a BLUE LIVES MATTER over BLACK LIVES MATTER vibe?

The only image I can find of Non-Year One Batman is DKIII, which is obviously not main canon:

How often has Bruce dealt with corrupt or trigger-happy cops gunning down unarmed civilians?

Or does DC steer clear of taking any kind of public stance in this debate?

Full disclosure: haven't read main canon Batman titles in years, so this is a genuine question and not snark

Tom King dealt with Batman brutality in Batman 51–53, though he only scratched a bit on the problem complex.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Isnt Gotham’s PD almost always showed as being corrupt as hell (outside of a select few)?

Pretty sure the vibe is it's part of the web of why gotham is the way it is. There are corrupt cops all over the place.

If it's a Blue Lives Matter over a Black Lives Matter perspective? That's specific in terms of perspective, while I don't recall BLM being brought in any Gotham centric comics recently, Gotham doesn't glorify their police force, but it does acknowledge the good ones like Jim or Renee.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it's something that should be around before and during the early Batman years. Once Gordon rises in ranks and allies himself with Batman, the corrupt police should gradually be weeded out.

I like Batman to have a positive influence on Gotham. Later in the game, the more over the top super crime should be the main concerns to justify the existence of Batman and his allies, not the absence of good police officers. There should naturally be some bad apples mixed in, but they shouldn't be the majority. And they should be firmly shown as something that Batman, Gordon and the rest do not tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    If it's a Blue Lives Matter over a Black Lives Matter perspective? That's specific in terms of perspective, while I don't recall BLM being brought in any Gotham centric comics recently, Gotham doesn't glorify their police force, but it does acknowledge the good ones like Jim or Renee.
    I recall it was touched on a little in that flashback story during Superheavy.

I stopped reading Batman and Detective Comics not too long into Rebirth, but how often have they been showing the Gotham City P.D. as more than generic plot devices these days?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Of all the major superheroes, Batman is (technically) the most human, the closest to the street level struggle between law and crime.

Has Batman ever dealt with police brutality? Or is Gotham pretty locked into a BLUE LIVES MATTER over BLACK LIVES MATTER vibe?

How often has Bruce dealt with corrupt or trigger-happy cops gunning down unarmed civilians?

Or does DC steer clear of taking any kind of public stance in this debate?

Full disclosure: haven't read main canon Batman titles in years, so this is a genuine question and not snark

Priest's Batman The Hill (originally a 5 part mini cut down to a single issue according to Priest) showed the Hood not scared of Batman. He's never around enough to do anything.

So for the most part a BLM story in Batman would be rare. It's not that he doesn't care, he knows how bad some of the cops are but he has bigger issues to deal with.

Unless a villain like Scarecrow or Riddler was involved.

And it would be hard for Batman to do anything if he witness it-he can't go to court and testify without taking that mask off.

Same for Duke, Babs and the rest.

I mean how many heroes in DC are KNOWN to the public outside besides John Stewart, Guy, Kyle, and Hal?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I mean how many heroes in DC are KNOWN to the public outside besides John Stewart, Guy, Kyle, and Hal?
    John and Guy are really the only ones with public identities.

There's also Zatanna. Black Canary (maybe?). Wonder Woman.

I'm pretty sure in Gotham "NO LIVES MATTERS" where its every man, cop, and killer in it for themselves and might get killed by anyone or anything.

BANNED

Who'd notice a little extra violence in Gotham City?

Astonishing Member

I'm sure, in-universe, that there are rights activitists who argue that Batman's actions are arguably a case of 'police brutality' - since he gives criminals violent beatdowns with the GCPD often looking the other ways. This actually becomes a major plot point in 'White Knight', but I'm sure there are mainstream canon stories touching on this as well.

Would DC actually publish a police brutality tale in a Batman comic that took a side. If Batman saw it happen, would he even interfere? Or would he think the cop must have a good reason for being so violent? Is Batman himself more Black Lives Matter or Blue Lives Matter? Or does he go the even more tone-deaf route of All Lives Matter?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Would DC actually publish a police brutality tale in a Batman comic that took a side. If Batman saw it happen, would he even interfere? Or would he think the cop must have a good reason for being so violent? Is Batman himself more Black Lives Matter or Blue Lives Matter? Or does he go the even more tone-deaf route of All Lives Matter?
    I'd say he would go for the Black Lives Matter. He doesn't have much faith in the system to begin with or else he wouldn't be Batman, so automatically siding with police officers without getting to the truth first wouldn't be something he would do. That **** wouldn't fly with Gordon either.

I suspect Bruce doesn't have a great handle on a number of social issues like this. I mean, dude grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth, then spent years in some of the worst and/or most un/holy places in the world, then came back home and spends most of his time in crappy neighborhoods beating the hell out of people who are employed by active criminals, many of whom have no issue killing the hired help.

If Bruce was able to navigate these waters as easily and skillfully as he navigates a murder investigation, we'd be reading about "Bruce Wayne: Action Mayor" instead of "Bruce Wayne: Lawless Vigilante." He probably keeps an eye on social developments like this just enough to see how they might impact his war on crime, but it's not a issue he really engages with; its a issue he dissects so he can understand how to ply it in his personal crusade.....and maybe he'll throw some money at a charity or organization if it sticks out in his research.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.