Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suspect Bruce doesn't have a great handle on a number of social issues like this. I mean, dude grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth, then spent years in some of the worst and/or most un/holy places in the world, then came back home and spends most of his time in crappy neighborhoods beating the hell out of people who are employed by active criminals, many of whom have no issue killing the hired help.
    He doesn't spend most of his time "beating the hell out of people who are employed by active criminals" unless those people are also threatening violence somehow against somebody or something. If they aren't a possible threat, he doesn't go out of his way to beat them up (unless maybe somebody like Frank Miller is writing the story).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He doesn't spend most of his time "beating the hell out of people who are employed by active criminals" unless those people are also threatening violence somehow against somebody or something. If they aren't a possible threat, he doesn't go out of his way to beat them up (unless maybe somebody like Frank Miller is writing the story).
    If Frank is writing, then EVERYBODY is in for a big beating.

Legends of the Dark Knight: Turf (issues #44 & #45) had Batman and Gordon dealing with racism along the police's ranks, plus brutality and corruption. Written by Steven Grant and drawn by Shawn McManus. Cool story
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Of all the major superheroes, Batman is (technically) the most human, the closest to the street level struggle between law and crime.

Has Batman ever dealt with police brutality? Or is Gotham pretty locked into a BLUE LIVES MATTER
    I am this as far in the post as got, What is a Blue life? Are people out here killing Smurfs and Na'vi? I know their relevant conversion to be had here but seeing that phrasing makes my eye roll to back of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am this as far in the post as got, What is a Blue life? Are people out here killing Smurfs and Na'vi? I know their relevant conversion to be had here but seeing that phrasing makes my eye roll to back of my head
    "Blue lives" refers to cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    "Blue lives matter" were a counter-slogan and reaction to the American Black Lives Matter movement. Black Lives Matter were a direct protest to African-Americans being killed by police; Blue lives matter is a movement to strengthen and reinforce the way police operate in the USA. It's understandably deeply tied into racist and anti-civil rights memes.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    "Blue lives matter" were a counter-slogan and reaction to the American Black Lives Matter movement. Black Lives Matter were a direct protest to African-Americans being killed by police; Blue lives matter is a movement to strengthen and reinforce the way police operate in the USA. It's understandably deeply tied into racist and anti-civil rights memes.
    But it also seems like there's been a dramatic increase in police killings here in the U.S., several of them targeted and not just deaths in shoot-outs, in the news over the past several years. Some even before the "Black Lives Matter" movement became a thing.

But it also seems like there's been a dramatic increase in police killings here in the U.S., several of them targeted and not just deaths in shoot-outs, in the news over the past several years. Some even before the "Black Lives Matter" movement became a thing.
    "Seems" being the operative word; the statistics don't seem to bear that out.

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

You cant kill a police officer on camera, and then get the same benefit of the doubt and support that police officers get when they kill and beat unarmed civilians. Saying Blue Lives matter is redundant, because we already know the justice system fully supports them. So it comes across as a way to silence a legitimate concern that blacks and other people of color have with the justice system.

BANNED

You're not going to see this in a comic. The strokes are more broad & timeless whereas hashtags are too specific and too dated and to be very blunt....lazy. Someone adds a hashtag to their social media and thinks that they've done something.

I like when Batman has more "normal" problems that aren't a simple super villain because human nature is far more dangerous and far more difficult to change. The Mob stories/episodes were always more scary.

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who Riddler hires as his hideout's janitor doesn't end up in the ICU.......but most of those guys are hired muscle and/or actively help in criminal acts. And there are literally thousands and thousands of panels of Batman fighting henchmen, so........
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All-New Member

Man, cops are stupid in superhero comics. Period.