Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

IMHO:

Big Barda should be the tallest non-giant superhero in the DCU. Like, taller than the Martian Manhunter or John Henry Irons' Steel.

Conversely, I think Scott Free should be the shortest super-hero in the DCU. Like, classic Wolverine height minus the stockiness.

If we need actual height guidelines ...

Big Barda: min 6'8" - max 7'0" (avg 6'10")
    Wonder Woman: min 6'0" - max 6'4" (avg 6'2")
    Steve Trevor: min 5'7" - max 5'10" (avg 5'8")
    Scott Free: min 5'0" - max 5'4" (avg 5'2")

Diana and Steve would be the inversion of the classic male superhero & female civilian heights.

Barda and Scott would be the more extreme inversion, almost to the point of a visual gag, but taken seriously.

....what's Barda the goddess of, anyway?

She was created in the very early 70's, so women's rights would've been on people's minds.......

I'd guess she's the goddess of female empowerment, perhaps? She's big and strong and tough, she's got a job and a husband, a nice house in the suburbs, etc. She's kinda rocking the "women can have the career and the family, they can have it all!" mantra that followed the 60's.

I mean, its a little weird and nebulous because the New Gods don't really have firmly defined domains, but most of the characters do seem to have certain themes and elements that are domains in all but name and official designation.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd guess she's the goddess of female empowerment, perhaps? She's big and strong and tough, she's got a job and a husband, a nice house in the suburbs, etc. She's kinda rocking the "women can have the career and the family, they can have it all!" mantra that followed the 60's.
    If they were to ever define it, I'd say she's the God of Toughness (that might not sound fancy enough, so then maybe "Goddess of Perseverence?")

Maybe she's a soldier goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If they were to ever define it, I'd say she's the God of Toughness (that might not sound fancy enough, so then maybe "Goddess of Perseverence?")
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."

Though arguably that fits Diana and Babs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Big Barda.
    Was going to do this exact post.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Big Barda should be taller than Wonder Woman. Big Barda should stand at 6'8 - 6'10 (maybe 7'), Amazon Eve is a good example of how tall she should be, she should be the tallest superheroine. I see Wonder Woman standing at 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ....what's Barda the goddess of, anyway?

She was created in the very early 70's, so women's rights would've been on people's minds.......

I mean, its a little weird and nebulous because the New Gods don't really have firmly defined domains, but most of the characters do seem to have certain themes and elements that are domains in all but name and official designation.
    I see her as the goddess of courage in terms of confidence and self-confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Goddess of Perseverance sounds a better title than the goddess of courage. It does suit her more.

Maybe "Goddess of Fortitude" - that sounds like her too...

I always saw it as Barda, Starfire then Diana.

Barda at around 6'6" or taller
    Kori around 6'4" (With hair, maybe just 6'2" if her hair isn't as big.)
    Diana around 6'0"-6'2" (And certainly not the tallest Amazon.)
    Richard Alexander

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

We are, of course, assuming the BIG refers to height.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Barda should be She-Hulk size.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I don't think it does

NEWS FROM ME
    - Mark Evanier

The Lovely Ms. Barda
    Published Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Among the questions I get about Jack Kirby are many having to do with a character he created for DC called Big Barda. I mentioned somewhere that she was inspired by an appearance in Playboy by singer Lainie Kazan and folks want to know more about that. Really, there isn't much more to it than that.

Jack had a subscription to Playboy. I have a vague idea — don't take this part as fact — that Harvey Kurtzman had arranged it. Kurtzman was of course producing "Little Annie Fanny" for Mr. Hefner's magazine back then and at one point, Jack declined an offer to help with the art on that strip. Kurtzman also at one point discussed with Jack (and it was never more than the briefest conversation) the notion of the two of them creating another strip for Playboy — one that could alternate with Ms. Annie and be in the Kirby style, albeit with nude women. Jack appreciated the interest in his services but did not think he'd be comfortable working for the magazine. His reasons were not just about the subject matter or the publication's image but also had to do with what he knew the working arrangements would be.

But he liked the magazine and had a pile of them in his studio. Some had pieces cut out of them because Jack enjoyed making collages of magazine photos, taking pieces and making them into something else when he arranged them on his board. Somewhere in at least one of those collages, he constructed a space ship of some kind out of clippings that once formed Miss August's breasts but were unrecognizable as such in the final product. Anyway, when the October, 1970 issue of Playboy arrived at the Kirby house, Jack smiled to see Lainie Kazan in it, sans wardrobe. He thought she was a beautiful lady and while Jack didn't necessarily prefer a large, formidable woman over any other, he did appreciate the beauty in that body type. It got him to thinking about concocting a super-heroine who looked like she could do the feats of strength that Wonder Woman or Supergirl did with more dainty physiques.

The creation of Barda began that day and was complete within days…but it would be wrong to suggest that Jack was drawing Lainie Kazan or that she suggested much more than a body type. A lot of non-writers don't get what it means when you say something in real life inspired a story. They think the writer is transcribing what really happened and just changing the names. That does happen but more often, a situation or an image or something becomes the starting point for fantasy. Carl Reiner once explained that he'd tell people that The Dick Van Dyke Show was based on his days working on Sid Caesar's variety shows…and they'd think Alan Brady was Sid and Carl's wife was Laura and that Carl therefore had a nightmare one night about Danny Thomas filling his closet with walnuts and so on. Nope. It's just a little something to build on and then you let your imagination kick in.

Like most artists, Jack based a lot of the people he drew on people he'd seen, both in person and on the screen. When he wrote dialogue for Darkseid — and to some extent when he drew the character's body language or expression — he had some qualities of Jack Palance in mind. Writers often "cast" a script that way just for their own benefit. Back when I was writing Bugs Bunny comic books, I had some interesting conversations with friends who were writing Superman or Spider-Man. Bugs had one well-established voice so when I wrote his dialogue, I could imagine Mel Blanc reading the words. Someone writing Aquaman had to make up a voice for their title character…and the next writer who handled the hero would have a different voice in mind.

In the case of Big Barda, the visual started with Lainie but all the personality and style was one of the many ways Jack viewed his spouse, Roz — especially the scenes where Barda would be fiercely protective of Scott "Mr. Miracle" Free. Jack, of course, saw himself as Mr. Miracle though the notion of a character who was a "Super Escape Artist" had started when writer-artist Jim Steranko told Jack about one of his previous careers. To some extent, Jack saw himself as all the decent characters he drew, and even the villains sometimes reflected aspects of himself of which he was not proud. But even that analogy only went so far and one must be cautious not to try and match reality up to everything Kirby did. Jack always started in reality and then moved way past it. He even moved past Lainie Kazan.
    https://www.newsfromme.com/2012/01/2...vely-ms-barda/

Barda should be taller than WW.

I agree Barda 6'6" to 6'10".

WW should be 6'2". After all, she is an Amazon.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman is usually listen as 5'11'' or in some newer books as 6'0''.

Big Barda is in most books listed as 6'2'', afaik only the newest DC Encyclopaedia lists her at 7'0''.

And Scott Free is usually listet as 6'0''. And I don't think that he was ever drawn or listed as being short as some people suggest here.

Doesn't the boomtube travel adjust the size anyway; makes New Gods significant smaller and supersizes normal sized people? I remember a Supergirl issue (Linda/Matrix, not Kara) following Apokolipteans to Apokolips with her own form of travel and she was to a New God sized like a wasp to a human.

So... Big Barda is probably taller then 20 Wonder Woman stacked on top of each other.

found an example (but its about 15-20y old; might be retconned):

Last edited by The_Lurk; 10-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.