Default Any Independent Police Procedural-type Comic Book Series?

Just wondering if there's anybody who know of / follows any comic books that are more like the TV show Law & Order or the Ed McBain 87th Precinct books? Over at DC there was the Gotham Central series, but that was quite a while ago.

As a kid, I remember there were books like Police Action from Atlas Comics, but that was over 40 years ago (and it only lasted for three issues).

What about stuff that may be available in stores these days?

Red Team by Garth Ennis is a pretty good cop drama. It has a sequel but i have not checked it out yet.

I've yet to read it but The Fuse from Image Comics has been described as a sci-fi police procedural. It might be worth checking out.

Incredible Member

Fish police!

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    I've yet to read it but The Fuse from Image Comics has been described as a sci-fi police procedural. It might be worth checking out.
    The "sci-fi" part loses my interest . . . I'm really looking for police stories that aren't other genres (like science fiction or fantasy or gothic horror stories) where there might be police characters also involved. (Hell, I'd prefer stuff set in the U.S. during the 20th century, before all the smart phones and everything else that's more "modern", but that may be getting too picky.)

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Fish police!
    Fish Police?!?

Is that still being published?

I remember buying it back in the 1980s (as well as Sam & Max).
    However, I'm sort of looking for something a bit more . . . grounded.

Incredible Member

I wish fish police was still being published... original run was absolute classic as it went along but was just silly suggestion.

This one other hand looks like it could be good
    https://www.vertigocomics.com/comics...ican-carnage-1

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    This one other hand looks like it could be good
    https://www.vertigocomics.com/comics...ican-carnage-1
    I think that might be more "thriller" than "police procedural", though.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Currently-- Tinsel Town, from Alterna Comics; Hollywood 1930s,1940s; daughter of a cop gets a job policing a Hollywood lot; good character, nice art (sometimes really lovely art) solid dialogue, four issues so far, bimonthly; color comics, full size, and yet, only $1.50!

Back Issues/gn: Kane, by Paul Grist, Image; amazing police story featuring detective Kane--about whom we find out nearly nothing in a couple dozen issues, not even his first name--except what we see in his day-to-day activity and relationship (testy) with others on the force. Some high farce, some gritty street work, individual, stark b&w artwork, excellent dialogue--sometimes in British dialects, but understandable.

Sam and Twitch, Image, by the then-still sharp and crisp Brian Bendis; two cops working weird cases with supernaturally-tinged/yet usually humanly instigated aspects; several different artists on different 'arcs'; lots of human emotion.

Fell. FELL!!! By Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith: Richard Fell is a police detective banished to and isolated in a the worst district of an otherwise distant city, involved in dispiriting cases he refuses to give up on, or be discouraged by. Excellent character work, tight tight dialogue, gorgeous (if disturbing) art, one collection of 8 issues, with a ninth issue apparently not collected for some reason. Really, really, good series.

Lots of others, if these don't attract your attention--! best wishes!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Currently-- Tinsel Town, from Alterna Comics; Hollywood 1930s,1940s; daughter of a cop gets a job policing a Hollywood lot; good character, nice art (sometimes really lovely art) solid dialogue, four issues so far, bimonthly; color comics, full size, and yet, only $1.50!
    I've heard about this one before, but I don't think I've ever seen an issue in the store.

I think Barnes & Noble use to have a couple of their titles on the magazine rack, but the quality of the art / printing on those particular two didn't really impress me. (They may have been more all-ages/kid-friendly titles.)