Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I'll retire dick grayson and Tim,let Jay and Damien be the active Robins,they are way more interesting anyway
    But what part of the current comic book buying market would be pissed as hell if DC took away Dick (who hasn't actively been Robin for how long in a non-flashback story?) and Tim to focus on Jason (who hasn't actively been Robin for how long in a non-flashback story?) and Damian?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Two of my favorite comics of all times are Hitman and Starman, both series ended with the retirement of the protagonist in some sort of way. It was in my opinion perfect, so yes, sometimes it is worth retiring a character, if is done right. But we should not forget that Tommy Monaghan and Jack Knight "retirements" come from their original creators, after long and awesome runs that ended in very meaningful ways.
    The retirement or death should matter, it should be remembered.
    Therein lies the difference: Some properties are finite stories, and usually heavily tied to a creator.

Which is very different than DC's big brand characters - the main JLAers, the classic Teen Titans lineup - these are brands that can withstand the passage of time. Whatever status quo changes introduced to them is usually temporary, unless it's an additive change that catches on.

Basically - all the classics will outlive us all. And I'm cool with that.

BANNED

But what part of the current comic book buying market would be pissed as hell if DC took away Dick (who hasn't actively been Robin for how long in a non-flashback story?) and Tim to focus on Jason (who hasn't actively been Robin for how long in a non-flashback story?) and Damian?
    This is personal opinion but if I was working at DC then I'll leave Dick because I know he can make money but I think tim is expandable

This is personal opinion but if I was working at DC then I'll leave Dick because I know he can make money but I think tim is expandable
    They can expand a lot upon Tim if they could just figure out what the hell to do with him!
    Tim got squeezed out when they condensed the Robins timeline for New52 and still kept Damian around. If they let Damian stay dead after Morrison killed him off, Tim would not also feel like an "unnecessary Robin". But DC really didn't know what to do with Tim when they basically erased his past at the start of the New52.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They can expand a lot upon Tim if they could just figure out what the hell to do with him!
    Tim got squeezed out when they condensed the Robins timeline for New52 and still kept Damian around. If they let Damian stay dead after Morrison killed him off, Tim would not also feel like an "unnecessary Robin". But DC really didn't know what to do with Tim when they basically erased his past at the start of the New52.
    I don't think that is the case entirely. In the New 52 they decided to give Tim as Red Robin the entire Titans franchise and erased Dick's history with the team. Tim was going to be the Robin character that their entire young hero line was going to be built around, but obviously that didn't work because of how poorly thought out the New 52 was. Still, they did design for Tim to have this entire segment of the DCU to lead and work in. So it isn't like they didn't try to give the character support post the New 52.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Let's also not forget the original purpose of Tim Drake: to replace Jason Todd (who had in turn replaced Dick Grayson). With Jason back and Damian present, it really does put Tim in an odd spot.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Let's also not forget the original purpose of Tim Drake: to replace Jason Todd (who had in turn replaced Dick Grayson). With Jason back and Damian present, it really does put Tim in an odd spot.
    Jason had his own separate post-Robin identity. Tim had been establishing one as Red Robin, but that story got derailed when they switched to the New52.
    It also felt they (DC) had stolen his story of how/why he became a Robin in the first place with his "revised"/"bastardized" origin in Teen Titans #0 back in 2012. DC then continued to make Tim unusable/unnecessary as the New52 progressed, which was truly a shame.

Incredible Member

Then you need to go to a comedy school cuz you're not funny
    so sensitive.

Jason had his own separate post-Robin identity. Tim had been establishing one as Red Robin, but that story got derailed when they switched to the New52.
    It also felt they (DC) had stolen his story of how/why he became a Robin in the first place with his "revised"/"bastardized" origin in Teen Titans #0 back in 2012. DC then continued to make Tim unusable/unnecessary as the New52 progressed, which was truly a shame.
    When Tim popped back up in Rebirth after his "death" (imprisonment), they gave him back his pre-Flashpoint origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I prefer "retirement" over pointless death any day. Characters relegated to limbo is second. The reason why, is because it allows future writers to easily bring them back if they want to use them. There is no such thing as bad characters. There is, however, less skillful writers. Killing characters is beyond tedious at this point and many deaths (not all as some have been handled well) just necessitate contrived ways to bring them back to life.
    Absolutely this!!

I hate to start up some kind of flame war... but the first one that came to my mind was Wally West. The moment he came back with the twins, the character fell apart for me. I still love classic Wally... but Dad Wally wasn't him. Then when they brought back Barry, Wally was redundant.

If I had the power, I would have had Wally hand the metaphorical costume back to Barry when he returned and be the full time family man. He could still be a part of the 'Flash Family'... .but considering how many times now he's zoomed and gotten lost in the Speed Force potentially never to be seen again... I just can't picture him doing that with kids in the house. It would have a happy ending with him keeping the Flash name alive when Barry was Dead, and retiring when he came back... it would have been a full circle.

And of course he would still occasionally suit up in emergencies like Johnny Quick and Jay Garrick did for him in the 90's... but effectively he'd be out of the game.

I'd have much preferred that to the meandering existence he's had post Final Crisis and ignoble death... That just sucked for everyone.

Kon93

Tim is the Robin that didn't need to be Robin.he had a good life,no horror,like dick or jason,he was just a awesome detective in his own right who found out Bruce was batman,then made Robin mean something again.

He is the perfect SELF motivated Robin,a good kid,just wanting to do good,for good sakes.thats tim

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't think that is the case entirely. In the New 52 they decided to give Tim as Red Robin the entire Titans franchise and erased Dick's history with the team. Tim was going to be the Robin character that their entire young hero line was going to be built around, but obviously that didn't work because of how poorly thought out the New 52 was. Still, they did design for Tim to have this entire segment of the DCU to lead and work in. So it isn't like they didn't try to give the character support post the New 52.
    The problem was (besides the book beeing not that good) that they completely neglected to re-establish Tims life out of costume and his relation with the rest of the Batfamily. It took untill Rebith for him to have any meaningfull interaction with Bruce on panel, and even there they later botched their attempt to bring him bac on track by killing him off for a year...

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Absolutely this!!

I hate to start up some kind of flame war... but the first one that came to my mind was Wally West. The moment he came back with the twins, the character fell apart for me. I still love classic Wally... but Dad Wally wasn't him. Then when they brought back Barry, Wally was redundant.

If I had the power, I would have had Wally hand the metaphorical costume back to Barry when he returned and be the full time family man. He could still be a part of the 'Flash Family'... .but considering how many times now he's zoomed and gotten lost in the Speed Force potentially never to be seen again... I just can't picture him doing that with kids in the house. It would have a happy ending with him keeping the Flash name alive when Barry was Dead, and retiring when he came back... it would have been a full circle.

And of course he would still occasionally suit up in emergencies like Johnny Quick and Jay Garrick did for him in the 90's... but effectively he'd be out of the game.

I'd have much preferred that to the meandering existence he's had post Final Crisis and ignoble death... That just sucked for everyone.
    Yeah when it comes to a modern character "retiring" I think Wally would have been the most suitable titan. He had an arc, he did his duty, let him enjoy it, at least for awhile. It would also help keep the Flash timeline straight so Barry could hang out with Chunk or battle trickster II rather than just hijacking Wallys villains.

But yeah like some have said above, character "retirements" are usually tied to one creator with a long run. Like Starman is a perfect example. But man there for awhile creators were churning out so many crappy pet characters or "replacements", they were creating them faster than fans could retire them!

While I don't believe in such a thing as too much continuity or world building, there is a thing of too much legacy, and Dc is right at the precipice. So, yeah I'd much prefer a character being retired than being written out of existence in some crappy cosmic crisis.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    While I don't believe in such a thing as too much continuity or world building, there is a thing of too much legacy, and Dc is right at the precipice. So, yeah I'd much prefer a character being retired than being written out of existence in some crappy cosmic crisis.
    Oh yeah... I'd say they went over that edge a while back. With one or two legacies you can still Juggle things. Three Green lanterns was fine, plenty for everyone. Four?? Well, Kyle's purpose needs to be reworked... but sure, it can still work. SIX earth-born Green Lanterns active at the same time??!? Too much. Robin one grows up... Robin Two dies... Robin 3 active... that's workable. Five Robins, three Batgirls, a Signal and whatever else they want to add in... all alive and active... Gahhh….

Too much Legacy is an excellent way to put it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Too much Legacy is an excellent way to put it.
    That's the problem with legacies in a universe that can't allow the Trinity to be replaced. It can only go so far before everything is moved back to the beginning. That's why the original Earth-2 was perfect, because it allowed the Big 3 to either retire or die and have legacies galore.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?