22 22.45%
  • Havok, Psylocke, Jean Grey

43 43.88%
  • Cyclops, Warpath, Polaris

17 17.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    All these characters are just puppets subject to the whims of the writers animating them. That said, they also have accumulated canon which shows their capacities. If we are using Storm at her highest potential as seen in canon, she wipes the floor with the other X-Men. If we are using them at their lowest potentials, they all are crap(they have all been nerfed in their time). So what do you want to do?
    I think you hit the head on the nail at the end.

Using the highest potential as seen in canon all of these characters are over kill. Havok should be able to melt people. Polaris should be able to rip the metal from anybody. Any of the TP / TK should be able to have instant kill. Jubes ignites atomic matter...

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    How about a mid-point where she competently makes tornadoes, shoots lightning, picks locks, and leads the X-Men like the badass she is?
    Even if we nerf everyone to their 'mid-points', Storm still wins.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

All these characters are just puppets subject to the whims of the writers animating them. That said, they also have accumulated canon which shows their capacities. If we are using Storm at her highest potential as seen in canon, she wipes the floor with the other X-Men. If we are using them at their lowest potentials, they all are crap(they have all been nerfed in their time). So what do you want to do?
    I was just making this point to another user about this that if Storm is written to even half of what she is capable of there wouldn't even be a story as she would just wipe the floor with everyone. 100% truth.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Even if we nerf everyone to their 'mid-points', Storm still wins.
    Yup. her powers would still work in less than a conscious thought where she would bfr or flash freeze them before anyone had a chance to react. She would still be able to incapacitate others with internal attacks. Using her mid-points in no way would make this a loss for her.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Her powers running wild is very much as reason why she should have been harder to defeat as she would have been unleashing and without control. Yet Storm was still able to one shot her. Also, what Magik did to Thor and others doesn't guarantee her a victory against a character who has fought side by side with her and would know weaknesses that she has. You also seemed to forget the magic that Storm was able to channel that Magik on her own could not. This is all just regular Ororo doesn't even take account goddess Storm who was able to defeat Adversary with one blast of divine energy which Magik abilities wouldn't be able to affect.
    Sorcery is most effective when used in spells. Undirected random discharges of Limbo energy aren't effective in combat unless it's on the level of something like the first time Illyana ever lost control, where she was creating a monster storm herself and rending reality asunder. Magik and Cyclops were both hurt when they were taken control over. Even without factoring in that this time she was trying to reign her power in, to say that she should have been harder to defeat in that situation is like saying that Harry Potter was harder to defeat when he lost control and 'blew up' his aunt than when he was using his wand as it is meant to be used. Magic has to be properly directed and channeled, otherwise it's just a light show.

This is what it would have looked like if Illyana truly went all out while losing control.

magik.jpg

And what evidence is there that any magic Storm has channeled Illyana is unable to? Her drawing strength from magical places is long established, and there's never been a case where she had trouble in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Sorcery is most effective when used in spells. Undirected random discharges of Limbo energy aren't effective in combat unless it's on the level of something like the first time Illyana ever lost control, where she was creating a monster storm herself and rending reality asunder. Magik and Cyclops were both hurt when they were taken control over. Even without factoring in that this time she was trying to reign her power in, to say that she should have been harder to defeat in that situation is like saying that Harry Potter was harder to defeat when he lost control and 'blew up' his aunt than when he was using his wand as it is meant to be used. Magic has to be properly directed and channeled, otherwise it's just a light show.

This is what it would have looked like if Illyana truly went all out while losing control.

magik.jpg

And what evidence is there that any magic Storm has channeled Illyana is unable to? Her drawing strength from magical places is long established, and there's never been a case where she had trouble in that regard.
    Fair points. I think in your explanation; however, you have made my point. For Magik to be effective she has to direct and channel her powers which will require concentration, which canonically speaking Ororo's powers have been implemented in time described as in less than a conscious thought. The picture you provided is a bit hard to see to is there a way you can share a larger one?

Storm (in Extraordinary Xmen) had traveled with Magik to several different dimensions where they both encountered magic wielders on a high level. A portal was needed to get both Magik and Storm back to limbo; however, Magik on her own couldn't do it so the magic wielders offered their power to her but it was too much for her to channel. Storm stepped in and was able to channel all of this magic allowing them to transport back to limbo:

Last edited by butterflykyss; 10-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgreed View Post
    First day down, Havok, Jean and Psylocke take the lead with 27 votes. Followed by a tie with Storm, Colossus,Archangel and Emma Frost, Danger, Magik.
    And rounding off the top 4 is Cyclops,warpath and Polaris.

The Top 4 Team will be mixed in the second round, They will have to face Fan favorite teams next round.
    this will be fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondQueen View Post
    But we have also seen her get shot out of the sky like paper. She couldn't even take BP. And this last run they made her not even know how to use her powers...so...
    just seeing this. aaron lowballed her incredibly to a degree that didnt align with how her powers worked. BP put nanites in the sky and that didnt allow her to control the weather. that makes absolutely no sense as her powers allow her to see energy and manipulate said energy to create weather phenomenon. nanites in the sky wont affect her ability to shoot lightning from her body, remove air from someone's lung or play with the air pressure in someone's ear. it was awful writing and it further supports the point yoga was making about characters being written to lowest potential. in this case this isnt her lowest potential but actual incorrect knowledge about how her powers actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Offbeat View Post
    I was between Emma, Danger, Magik vs. Havok, Psyloce, Jean.

Magik, Diamond Emma, and Danger are immune to telepathy. So that reduces Jean and Psylocke to just TK.

I honestly felt Emma could take Havok, Danger could take Psylocke, and Magik vs. Jean was the real tricky part.

Emma, Danger, Magik for the win
    I think you'd want to put Emma against Psylocke and Danger agianst Havok as Emma's TP instantly trumps Havok. She vs Psylocke though would force her to rely on her diamond form and it would be more of a brawl with Betsy having TK weapons and her ninja fighting skills. Danger and Havok are best matched up againsts each oher and IA on Magik vs Jean. Magik isnt immune to TP but she is resistant

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think you'd want to put Emma against Psylocke and Danger agianst Havok as Emma's TP instantly trumps Havok. She vs Psylocke though would force her to rely on her diamond form and it would be more of a brawl with Betsy having TK weapons and her ninja fighting skills. Danger and Havok are best matched up againsts each oher and IA on Magik vs Jean. Magik isnt immune to TP but she is resistant
    why are people getting the idea that magik is immune to telepathy?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is Betsy still a TK user? Legitimate question. I haven't seen her use TK since before she built her own body back and just assumed she went back to being only a TP user.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Is Betsy still a TK user? Legitimate question. I haven't seen her use TK since before she built her own body back and just assumed she went back to being only a TP user.
    I don't think we can say for sure until we see her in uncanny. she is back in her old body so she may just have telepathy.

Extraordinary Member

Fair points. I think in your explanation; however, you have made my point. For Magik to be effective she has to direct and channel her powers which will require concentration, which canonically speaking Ororo's powers have been implemented in time described as in less than a conscious thought. The picture you provided is a bit hard to see to is there a way you can share a larger one?

Storm (in Extraordinary Xmen) had traveled with Magik to several different dimensions where they both encountered magic wielders on a high level. A portal was needed to get both Magik and Storm back to limbo; however, Magik on her own couldn't do it so the magic wielders offered their power to her but it was too much for her to channel. Storm stepped in and was able to channel all of this magic allowing them to transport back to limbo:

That isn't a matter of magic. Illyana's channeling it the whole time to power her spell. Storm is being what she said, a lightning rod or a circuit breaker to keep the flow steady instead of surging. It's part of her mutant power. And Storm was also hurt by that power. She collapsed as soon as they got back to Limbo, leaving Illyana to fight the world eater alone.

Yes, Illyana's spells are usually not instantaneous, because of the way magic works. But her stepping disks are. She has used them on multiple occassions to redirect bullets, to dodge the 80s Captain Marvel who had turned to light, and to rescue Scott Summers out of harm's way. And there hasn't been an established limit on her power.

I've actually been an advocate for nerfing her mutant power. The sorcery is enough, and her deliberately holding back her 'super saiyan' form is a good way to keep her power level consistent while not having her dominate everything with the power that beat Dormammu and makes the times when she does go all out more special. But speaking as a fan, I want her mutant power to be made less hax. She shouldn't be able to create an unlimited number of disks or summon an army of thousands at the drop of a hat. When she can end so many fights so easily with such a non-violent method it's either PIS when she doesn't or quickly gets boring when she does.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

why are people getting the idea that magik is immune to telepathy?
    In the 80s she was defined as immune to telepathy. It just was spefically to having her mind read, not to psychic attacks. Lately people have been able to read her mind, and that hasn't been explained. As I previously said, my head-cannon is that she is deliberately letting her psy-defenses down.

That isn't a matter of magic. Illyana's channeling it the whole time to power her spell. Storm is being what she said, a lightning rod or a circuit breaker to keep the flow steady instead of surging. It's part of her mutant power. And Storm was also hurt by that power. She collapsed as soon as they got back to Limbo, leaving Illyana to fight the world eater alone.

Yes, Illyana's spells are usually not instantaneous, because of the way magic works. But her stepping disks are. She has used them on multiple occassions to redirect bullets, to dodge the 80s Captain Marvel who had turned to light, and to rescue Scott Summers out of harm's way. And there hasn't been an established limit on her power.

I've actually been an advocate for nerfing her mutant power. The sorcery is enough, and her deliberately holding back her 'super saiyan' form is a good way to keep her power level consistent while not having her dominate everything with the power that beat Dormammu and makes the times when she does go all out more special. But speaking as a fan, I want her mutant power to be made less hax. She shouldn't be able to create an unlimited number of disks or summon an army of thousands at the drop of a hat. When she can end so many fights so easily with such a non-violent method it's either PIS when she doesn't or quickly gets boring when she does.
    but that is not what was said. storm actually channeled the magi powers that magik herself was unable to needed to create the portal. this wasnt electricity she channeled but actual magic.

and she didnt collapse after returning back. she was up and barking orders to magik:

In the 80s she was defined as immune to telepathy. It just was spefically to having her mind read, not to psychic attacks. Lately people have been able to read her mind, and that hasn't been explained. As I previously said, my head-cannon is that she is deliberately letting her psy-defenses down.
    ok this makes sense with her demon ties I would make sense she would have this immunity.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 10-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.