Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default I utterly hate the jerkification of Prof X

I was rereading New Mutants 1.13 tonight, and it crystalized something for me. I have little interest in any X-Titles since 2000 because they got so busy trying to be edgy that they abandoned all sense of morality and hope.

My Case-In-Point is NM 1.13's depiction of Prof X. These days, he's a memory of an amoral douche, who shamelessly used kids and emergent AIs for his own purposes. Back then, he was a guy fighting a desperate war whose first duty was to his students, even if it meant letting them invade his most private thoughts.

Not really sure why Marvel had to make a jerk of him (other than to justify Vulcan's or Danger's Mustache-Twirling), but it poisoned the roots of one of their Great Franchises.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I hate it too, such a great character ruined for stupid drama.

Xavier was always a jerk. Read the original run back in the 60's, Claremont's runs, and even into the 90's. But the post Morrison era jerkification of him did go too far. When Rightclops, Emma, and Magneto try to take the moral high-ground, you know you've gone too far. A little bit of jerk is correct, amoral douchebag of the highest caliber is too much.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I also hate it. Gone is the idea of teacher, mentor, friend.

BANNED

Xavier is what he is, a stupid hypocrite and a total *******.
    So, yes, I'd love to see more of his true face.

That's why Magneto is much higher than Charles. Erik's not a hypocrite, he is what he is.
    Magneto>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Charles Xavier

BANNED

Everyone who knows better does lol

He's had some ******* moments for sure, but caretakers of a character of his importance should be responsible enough not to have him enslaving sentient computers or allowing people to literally give up their bodies to him.

I don't mind characters with an edge, but endlessly piling this garbage on undermines the legacy of the character and the franchise, imo.

That's also why I am vehemently opposed to Rosenberg's "The O5 regret being X-Men and Xavier just changed their minds" take. It's not good for the franchise in any sense. Just edgy to the point of being corny.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Xavier's house is built on lies and his dream is an outdated concept forced on others by one of mutantkind's biggest hypocrite

The X-Men are not postmodern superheroes. They're incredibly complex and reflect a complicated, nuanced perspective of the world, so it is suspicious when people prefer wholesome, simpler, safer interpretations of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Xavier's house is built on lies and his dream is an outdated concept forced on others by one of mutantkind's biggest hypocrite
    I can agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    I don't mind characters with an edge, but endlessly piling this garbage on undermines the legacy of the character and the franchise, imo.

That's also why I am vehemently opposed to Rosenberg's "The O5 regret being X-Men and Xavier just changed their minds" take. It's not good for the franchise in any sense. Just edgy to the point of being corny.
    The idea of Xavier controlling his students against their wills, or that the O5 themselves actually didn't like this life, is not new.

05arewhack.jpg

I actually think some of that is interesting, but it's all in the execution. That annual was a bit heavy-handed and lacked some finesse in delivery.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Everyone who knows better does lol

He's had some ******* moments for sure, but caretakers of a character of his importance should be responsible enough not to have him enslaving sentient computers or allowing people to literally give up their bodies to him.

Agree.

It's ok to make Charles commit mistakes, it is a normal thing to happen.

Bit it was wrong make him a jerk just to make other characters like Cyclops and Emma look good.

Make him come back to steal a body and continue to be a jerk is the icing on the cake

I'm still surprised that Logan didn't stab him after Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Agree.

It's ok to make Charles commit mistakes, it is a normal thing to happen.

Bit it was wrong make him a jerk just to make other characters like Cyclops and Emma look good.

Make him come back to steal a body and continue to be a jerk is the icing on the cake
    You really, really, REALLY hate Scott and Emma don't you?

Xavier was a jerk long before Emma existed as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    You really, really, REALLY hate Scott and Emma don't you?

Xavier was a jerk long before Emma existed as a character.
    He was, but the worse came when the couple took over the x-men