10char
    Ah. Should've got that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ah. Should've got that.
    You mess up the joke....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Naw, she’s a druggie who loves ecstasy.

Wrong that one is Phoenix posing as Jean when asigning blame for the 6 billion ! And Jean when she wants something to feel bad about like those people that say in their job interviews that they're too hard working and perfectionists

Dropping the lolZ aside, Xavier being a jerk was always canon, deal with it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Wtf she was a teen.... you know I just not going to bother lol
    Sarcasm, bub.

Look at all the stones being thrown. Who's character hasn't done something deplorable eh?

Xavier rocks. I miss him too.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Look at all the stones being thrown. Who's character hasn't done something deplorable eh?

Xavier rocks. I miss him too.
    The characters who have done horrible things are not claiming to be paragons of peaceful and moral virtue that Charles was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The characters who have done horrible things are not claiming to be paragons of peaceful and moral virtue that Charles was.
    Or being defended as such

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Exactly. What does that even accomplish bedsides ruining the tone of the franchise?
    Marvel wanted to shift the tone at that time, to make X-men edgy and darker pandering to modern readers. The problem is now they want to go back to the old routine, which doesn't work any more since they trashed Xavier so hard.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Xavier was always a jerk. Read the original run back in the 60's, Claremont's runs, and even into the 90's. But the post Morrison era jerkification of him did go too far. When Rightclops, Emma, and Magneto try to take the moral high-ground, you know you've gone too far. A little bit of jerk is correct, amoral douchebag of the highest caliber is too much.
    he was so freaking rude to the o5. I remember reading it being actually surprised at how much of an a$$ he was to them.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Or being defended as such
    far less defense comparing to Cyclops on this board

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It seems like Xavier was a bit sanctified in the '90s after Claremont left. It seems a weird thing to say when that era culminated in Xavier's dark side going evil and wiping out half Earth's heroes, but I remember the '90s team really going all-out in showing that Xavier was a great man whose dream was an inspiring thing. And the most successful event of the era was all about how, if Xavier had died young, the result would have been almost a literal apocalypse. Even Onslaught wound up turning into just another example of "Xavier's way is good, Magneto's way is bad" once editorial decided he couldn't be just Xavier's bad side.

I think other writers, including Claremont, have a more ambiguous attitude to Xavier because he is kind of a spoilsport: he's the super-powerful grownup authority figure bossing the younger, cooler people around. They tried to kill him off in the '60s for exactly that reason (to let the young X-Men dominate the book) and there is a strong urge to tear him down a bit so other characters can move out of his shadow.

Personally I think this would be a good argument for just letting him be dead or retired and let the X-Men remember him as a flawed but truly great man, instead of leaving him in the books and constantly searching for reasons why he shouldn't be in charge. But we all know by now that any plan to leave a character dead or retired never actually works out.
    the xmen as a whole were sanctified when lobdell wrote them. they read like hypocrites about not killing when they killed and did so without question. it was so hard to read.c
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnusilver View Post
    Because Xavier's actions aren't defensible.

Marvel wanted to shift the tone at that time, to make X-men edgy and darker pandering to modern readers. The problem is now they want to go back to the old routine, which doesn't work any more since they trashed Xavier so hard.
    Except that Xavier was ruthlessly abusive back in the 60's and 70's so your pandering doesn't hold water.

BANNED

You can defend a character from unfair attacks while acknowledging his flaws and mistakes