Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Women #57 (Witching Hour 4/5)

CBR posted the preview for Wonder Woman #57.

The fate of magic, and possibly the Justice League Dark, hangs in the balance in our preview of this week’s Wonder Woman #57, by writer James Tynion IV and artist Emanuela Lupacchino.

Diana of Themyscira finds herself seemingly off-world and in the presence of Witchfire, who was believed to have died with the Sisterhood of the Sleight Hand. Unfortunately for the rest of the Justice League Dark, that’s merely Diana’s consciousness; her body is still very much under the control of Hecate, who’s using the vessel to lay waste to the denizens of Nanda Parbat, all while Wonder Woman grows weaker and weaker as “The Witching Hour” rages on.
    It keeps up the regular pattern of a slow introduction of the situation and a deepening of the background, now on the relation between humanity and the moon, before dropping us into Nanda Parbat where Zatanna and Constantine are watching in horror.

Also some nice leaning on the fourth wall from Witchfire.
    Last edited by kjn; 10-23-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Some comments on this issue:

So far we have seen Wonder Woman, Witchfire, Manitou Dawn, and Black Orchid as witchmarked, but not the last one. And if what we got to see on the metaphorical moon and what Witchfire says is correct, Hecate hasn't tapped into the last witchmarked yet. Any idea on who she is? The two "obvious" candidates are Zatanna and Circe; I'm not sure who'd be scarier.

Constantine finally starts to look somewhat worse for wear, with an untidy shirt and untied tie.

One review mentioned that this one called back to Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing; any comments on that?

Nice Zatanna the stage magician moment there, and that we get to see the Sisterhood of the Sleight of Hand make a return too.

And I guess the end can best be described as "Nice job breaking it, hero!" (TVTropes link).

Last comment is that I get a slightly disjointed feeling from magic here. Zatanna's magic was affected by the Otherkind, but not the one that John Constantine uses against witchmarked!Diana, nor the one used by Nightshade. It gives a rather strong feeling of making things up as they go along.
    Last edited by kjn; 10-26-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Welp it seems Tyrion didn't keep up with the more recent Swamp Thing solo. If he had, he would know that the parliment of trees in south america got burned down about four years back, that Swamp Thing upon recreating the parliment now commands them, and that their now saplings out of a swamp in new orleans.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

I am loving this whole direction. I like the idea of Wonder Woman in the Justice League Dark, I am enjoying this crossover and I hope that it doesn't get shut down any time soon.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I am loving this whole direction. I like the idea of Wonder Woman in the Justice League Dark, I am enjoying this crossover and I hope that it doesn't get shut down any time soon.
    One of the strengths of this run has been how it has merged the wonder-mythological and the horror-magic aspects. I'm not sure Circe has been part of DC's magical landscape before, but now Zatanna and Constantine has been brought into direct contact with what is one of the original mythical sorceresses while they earlier had only stories and rumours about her. Both the magicians and Diana has had their respective fears and prejudices of the other validated. Zatanna and Diana are shown as friends who deeply care about each other, but also that they come from wildly divergent places and thus approach problems rather differently. I know Tynion has mentioned that as one of the things he wanted to do, and he has done that very well.

Right now I'm putting Tynion into the short list of male writers who can write a good Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

It was a solid issue. It seemed a little light on Wonder Woman herself, but there have been a number of very Diana-centric moments earlier in the story so I didn't feel shirt changed
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

I think it's pretty obvious that the final "witch-marked" character is Zatanna. I think this was set up at the beginning of the crossover, with the focus on Z's training, as well as with Hecate's off-hand comment about liking Zatara.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that the final "witch-marked" character is Zatanna. I think this was set up at the beginning of the crossover, with the focus on Z's training, as well as with Hecate's off-hand comment about liking Zatara.
    Being she is the only other active female in the book This issue, so that seems a solid "Leia is my sister" prediction.

Having said that, Hecate also mentioned she's being doing this for centuries, only moving her marks when a carrier died. So Circe (who helped Diana activate her own mark) is a possibility.

The the Suicide Squad's Enchantress alive at the moment?

Might also be an interesting twist if it was a guy...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Being she is the only other active female in the book This issue, so that seems a solid "Leia is my sister" prediction.

Having said that, Hecate also mentioned she's being doing this for centuries, only moving her marks when a carrier died. So Circe (who helped Diana activate her own mark) is a possibility.

The the Suicide Squad's Enchantress alive at the moment?

Might also be an interesting twist if it was a guy...
    Last seen, June Moon/Enchantress was literally dragged into Hell and presumed dead ever since.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Last seen, June Moon/Enchantress was literally dragged into Hell and presumed dead ever since.
    So she's a solid chance then

The art on this book is top notch. Wish Lupacchino was sticking around for a while.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

what is the reading order for this thing?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    what is the reading order for this thing?
    Including the three first issues of Justice League Dark, which introduces the team and the reason they were formed in the first place (it's partially recapped in the first special, 04).

01 Justice League Dark 001 (2018)
    02 Justice League Dark 002 (2018)
    03 Justice League Dark 003 (2018)
    04 Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark 01 - Witching Hour 01 (2018)
    05 Wonder Woman 056 - Witching Hour 02 (2018)
    06 Justice League Dark 004 - Witching Hour 03 (2018)
    07 Wonder Woman 057 - Witching Hour 04 (2018)
    08 Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman 01 - Witching Hour 05 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Including the three first issues of Justice League Dark, which introduces the team and the reason they were formed in the first place (it's partially recapped in the first special, 04).

01 Justice League Dark 001 (2018)
    02 Justice League Dark 002 (2018)
    03 Justice League Dark 003 (2018)
    04 Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark 01 - Witching Hour 01 (2018)
    05 Wonder Woman 056 - Witching Hour 02 (2018)
    06 Justice League Dark 004 - Witching Hour 03 (2018)
    07 Wonder Woman 057 - Witching Hour 04 (2018)
    08 Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman - Witching Hour 01 (2018)
    Thanks, I didn't realize how extensive this story is.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Thanks, I didn't realize how extensive this story is.
    Yeah, and DC (or at least Comixology) didn't really made clear how the pieces all mesh together.

I had some issues with how the fallout was handled in the last special, but what we have here is really the prologue and chapter one of Tynion's JLD run. I also hope that that future issues won't be as Wonder Woman-heavy as it has been so far—maybe not the right thing to say in the Wonder Woman forum, but the other characters haven't really had recurring chances to shine or develop yet.