Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh, and from DC's Limited Collectors' Edition Issue #C-41 (December 1975 - January 1976), which featured Alex Toth art for the new framing sequences, . . .

wasn't born yet, but man, the art really looks great. and i love wonder woman's hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Hawkgirl did appear in a few episodes.
    As far as more female characters, always thought Rima was an odd choice, although she did have a DC comic (1974-75) at the time, Black Canary(joined JL 1969), and Zatanna(joined JL 1978) would have made more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    A person with close ties to the show told me they were originally planning on using Black Canary but decided to go with Rima for diversity. Why they didn't just use both is beyond me.
    For the record, the last issue of Supergirl was #10 (cover-dated September-October 1974) and for Lois Lane it was #137 (same cover-date).
    Those two went on to be one of three rotating lead features in The Superman Family (which continued the numbering after Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #163).
    I think you missed the point of the post you quoted regarding Rima as the other chosen female character for Super Friends at the time: That Supergirl, Lois lane, Black Canary as I mentioned, I'd add Batgirl, Mera, Zatanna (and as indicated Hawkgirl was used) were the more prominent DC female characters in the comics, everyone knows them.
    What was being discussed was why Rima?
    Of all the female characters why would HB have chosen her?
    While today she may seem super obscure to some and a really odd choice, the point was at the time not only did she offer the ethnic and gender diversity HB were looking for, at the time she had recently had her own comic, which (as opposed to today) would have really put her on HB's radar.

A gorgeous Rima custom ^ for the DCU Classic line.
    A curious aspect I've seen discussed about the visual of the character, is what is up with the light blue is it animal skin or tattered dress?
    As seen above HB while re-imagining the character really borrowed much from the more popular and recognizable Tarzan tropes and later "jungle girl" themes which wore cliche animal skins, which is a shame cause Rima actually predates them all, and it's it's actually them that borrowed more from her.
    In her story her animal "friends" are more linked to the smaller jungle creatures, particularly birds and insects. Her clothes" is in fact woven from spider's webs.
    This was more beautifully conveyed in Nestor Redondo's art- https://i.imgur.com/leOLtOM.jpg?1

Yet HB seem's to have taken the slight blue highlight, as the actual color of the material, which should read as white.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

wasn't born yet, but man, the art really looks great. and i love wonder woman's hair.

^ Love Toth's art, besides his templates / model-sheets for the Super Friends, seeing Alex Toth's take on the JL in sequential art really was/is fantastic.

His take on super heroines Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl (who appeared on the show,plus Supergirl, Batgirl, Mera, Zatanna, and most of all Toth's super stylized take on Black Canary (look it up if you haven't seen his run) the hair, emphasis on the buccaneer boots, the motorcycle etc... is the definitive bombshell.
    Another reason to lament they didn't add her (specifically his take on her) to the Super Friends cast, or at least give her a cameo "guest-star" roll like they did Green arrow. Seeing Toth's take on her animated (even in limited HB style) would have been glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    A person with close ties to the show told me they were originally planning on using Black Canary but decided to go with Rima for diversity. Why they didn't just use both is beyond me.
    Again, worth repeating^ I have to agree.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-08-2018 at 11:42 PM.

I think you missed the point of the post you quoted regarding Rima as the other chosen female character for Super Friends at the time . . .
    What point did I miss?
    You said (and I quoted in bold, but have no enlarged a significant part of what you said):
    . . . As far as most prominent female characters, If you look at the comics they had on the stands at the time, WW was the only female with her own comic, I think runs on Supergirl, and Lois Lane had just ended . . .
    So I said:
    For the record, the last issue of Supergirl was #10 (cover-dated September-October 1974) and for Lois Lane it was #137 (same cover-date).
    Those two went on to be one of three rotating lead features in The Superman Family (which continued the numbering after Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #163) . . .
    How is a clarification / providing more information to supplement you saying "I think . . . " missing the point if I wasn't saying anything about your original thought in the first place?

providing more information to supplement you saying "I think . . . " missing the point if I wasn't saying anything about your original thought in the first place?
    I guess your supposed "supplemental" information seems to obfuscate the point and discussion about Rima which you quoted yet seem to have missed:
    Why was Rima added to the Super Friends over other more obvious choices?
    Other female DC characters with self titled books Supergirl and Lois Lanes runs had ended as I said, no one is suggesting that Supergirl, and Lois Lane (add Batgirl, Black Canary, Zatanna, Mera etc.. for that matter) didn't have a continued presence and stronger prominence through DC and their titles and history, no kidding, If I misunderstand why you are indicating that, sorry. we know that, thanks for pointing out the obvious I guess.
    The question was why Rima though?

While today she's obscure by comparison, take a snapshot at the time there were two female characters with their own self titled books Wonder Woman and Rima.

Here is a great site and snapshots of the titles DC had on the stands, check the two female characters with their own titles-
    http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik...checklist=null
    http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik...975&sort=alpha
    Supergirl and Lois Lane's had just ended - http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik...checklist=null

This is likely why Rima would have still been on HB's radar.
    And sorry for any misunderstanding, I guess I'm really not sure what your point was then?

FYI Loise Lane did appear in a few Super Friends episodes.

Also there was HB Alex Toth model sheet for Catwoman (dated 1978), as far as i know she never appeared on any incarnation of the show.

And random: there was another Toth design fore Scarecrow with a long coat, and a creepier smile, which I think actually looks better, also dated (78)

These two would have been about the time of the Challenge era. these may have been preliminary designs, while they were still transitioning from the "League of Evil " concept?
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-08-2018 at 11:35 AM.

I guess your supposed "supplemental" information seems to obfuscate the point and discussion about Rima which you quoted yet seem to have missed:
    Why was Rima added to the Super Friends over other more obvious choices?
    I don't care about why Rima was or wasn't used!

I was simply clarifying whether Supergirl and Lois Lane still were the main cover features in books around that time period or not! That is why I started that post with
    For the record,
    Yeesh!

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Supergirl is on the cover of SUPER FRIENDS #37.

SuperFriends37.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Supergirl is on the cover of SUPER FRIENDS #37.
    Yes and Mera appears in issue #25, Black Orchid in #31
    Terrific ^ art by Ramona Fradon who drew almost the entire run of the Super Friends comics.
    Besides in the Alex Toth featured tabloid-sized special edition posted above, as indicated most of the JL continued to be featured and drawn by her in the ongoing series; with the arc which introduced the Global Guardians starting in #7

As well as the Greatest International Team ever created.
    The Global Guardians

First introduced in one of the funnest globe spanning story-arcs beginning in Super Friends #7 ...and appearing throughout the series.
    First Team-Ups were:

Superman with Seraph in Iseal
    Elongated-Man with Godiva in England
    Flash with Impala in South Africa
    Hawkman & Hawkwoman with Owl-Woman in USA
    Atom and Rising-Sun in Japan
    Green Lantern and Jack O' Lantern in Ireland
    Red Tornado and Tuatara in New Zealand
    Batman & Robin and Bushmaster in Venezuela
    Black Canary and Thunderlord Taiwan
    Green Arrow and Tasmanian Devil Australia(Tasmania)
    Aquaman and Little Mermaid in Denamark
    Wonder Woman and The Olympian in Greece
    I was going to begin introducing them all here, but it seems we have a better thread specifically for them- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...40#post4012840
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-09-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Oh, and from DC's Limited Collectors' Edition Issue #C-41 (December 1975 - January 1976), which featured Alex Toth art for the new framing sequences, . . .

This special edition has been one of my favorite single comic books my entire life. I've lost my copies of it twice (once to fire, once to flood) but a special friend tracked down another for me recently and I'm so delighted to have it in my possession again. When I look at the cover or literally any of the interior pages I'm a child again, filled with wonder for these characters I've loved for my entire life.

Thanks for posting, Major.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This special edition has been one of my favorite single comic books my entire life. I've lost my copies of it twice (once to fire, once to flood) but a special friend tracked down another for me recently and I'm so delighted to have it in my possession again. When I look at the cover or literally any of the interior pages I'm a child again, filled with wonder for these characters I've loved for my entire life.

Thanks for posting, Major.
    Agree, and I love the Toth cover and images posted.
    Although the two main stories were reprints of previously published Justice League stories.
    It was inter-cut with all new Toth drawn Super Friends pages.

And Super Friends pinup - https://i.imgur.com/bqiOd6Y.jpg

Plus Toth's hand written "How and the Why of Animated Cartoon"

Last edited by Güicho; 11-11-2018 at 05:20 PM.

The other giant tabloid size Limited Collectors Edition #C-46 with the Great Neal Adam's cover.
    Famously re-purposed as part of the Challenge era opening ^ (shamelessly replacing Arrow with Robin)
    - Jump to 0:48

As well as two more JL reprint stories. For the first time showed samples of Alex Toth Super Friends Model-Sheets
    Which are easily available on-line now, yet at the time were quite exceptional.

Last edited by Güicho; 11-11-2018 at 05:32 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The other giant tabloid size Limited Collectors Edition #C-46 with the Great Neal Adam's cover.
    As well as two more JL reprint stories. For the first time showed samples of Alex Toth Super Friends Model-Sheets
    I have owned both of them for 40+ years!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

WONDER TWINS #1

written by MARK RUSSELL
    art and cover by STEPHEN BYRNE
    variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    Exiled from their home planet, alien heroes Zan and Jayna must navigate life as teens on Earth at South Metropolis High School, where they’re even bigger outsiders than the typical awkward young adults. Under the watchful eye of Superman, the brother and sister pull monitor duty at the Hall of Justice as interns, while also trying to overcome the pitfalls of Zan’s brash confidence and Jayna’s shy but streetwise persona. If you think you know the Wonder Twins, think again—this book takes the form of the unexpected.
    ON SALE 02.13.19
    $3.99 US | 1 of 6 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

I "wonder" if this book will be used as a vehicle to introduce and connect with the other HB created heroes?
    Or at least updated versions of them.

Also I hope the creators did their homework, and remember the original concept for Zan (like his sister could be any animal), he was as a full elemental, he could actually make himself into objects from water, earth, air and fire, was actually so powerful, they had to tone him down.

Hopefully they finally show him coming into his full powers.
    Together they are actually quite a formidable duo.

Also hope they make Gleek a little cuter, and still that crazy tail, see above^
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-19-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Famously re-purposed as part of the Challenge era opening ^ (shamelessly replacing Arrow with Robin)
    - Jump to 0:48

Superbaby's got kind of a full diaper there!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post

Superbaby's got kind of a full diaper there!
    From all that, that is what you glommed on to? LOL!

Anyway model sheets were from The Planet Splitter: with origin of Superman, where Lara and Jor-El, and the Kents made their animated debuts.

Last edited by Güicho; 11-19-2018 at 08:30 PM.