Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Top/center - is that a pillow case in the frame? If so, I had one just like it. Slept on it for years.
    Yes, that's a pillowcase. I have some poster board inside to keep it straight, and then placed it in the frame. I have the matching sheets as well, boxed away in storage.

I also found this "bed cover" as I call it. It's too light to be called a blanket or comforter, it would just lie on top of the bed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Yes, that's a pillowcase. I have some poster board inside to keep it straight, and then placed it in the frame. I have the matching sheets as well, boxed away in storage.

I also found this "bed cover" as I call it. It's too light to be called a blanket or comforter, it would just lie on top of the bed.
    Very cool. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Those ^ are the 2008'ish 6" DCUC classics by Mattel

These are the 1980 3.3/4" Kenner Super Powers line
    Ssomewhat based on the Super Friends: The Legendary Super Power
    and The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians era
    And Super Powers comic line:

Like Samurai who was in the 3rd wave, other SuperFriends created characters El Dorado, and Vulcan (not sure about Apache) were slated for the next wave of Super Powers figures (never produced).

I suppose for the Super Powers figure and comic line they would have been given similar origins as Samurai and Golden Pharaoh -Unique Terrestrials with latent powers, triggered by the New Gods of new Genesis to defend Earth from the approaching invasion from Apocalypse.
    I always imagined that would have made a great origin to legitimately introduce all the HB created Heroes; Apache, Vulcan, Samurai, El Dorado, plus Golden Pharaoh into the DCU proper as a team.
    DC just never pursued it.
    so the figures from mattel are more recent, that's why they look more detailed.

about golden pharaoh, i'm not sure i've seen him in the show. does he appear somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    so the figures from mattel are more recent, that's why they look more detailed.
    Yes, also a larger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

about golden pharaoh, i'm not sure i've seen him in the show. does he appear somewhere?
    He was created for the Super Powers figures.
    And only ever showed up in the Super Powers comics.
    He seemed (to me anyway) an addition to add to the HB created heroes, since they paired him with Samurai.
    In the Super Powers comics Him and Samurai, are humans with latent powers, as Dark Seid's invasion approaches, the New God's feel Earth will need more heroes to defend itself from the invasion from Apocalypse, and send bolts of energy tied with the "Omega Effect" to awaken their latent powers.

I imagined that as well as Pharaoh, and Samurai, the line would have also eventually introduce El Dorado, Vulcan and Apache, using the same origin for them too.
    Always thought this was a great vehicle to introduce all four HB created Super Friends heroes Samurai, Vulcan,Dorado and Apache into the DCU proper.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-27-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yes, also a larger scale.

He was created for the Super Powers figures.
    And only ever showed up in the Super Powers comics.
    He seemed (to me anyway) an addition to add to the HB created heroes, since they paired him with Samurai.
    In the Super Powers comics Him and Samurai, are humans with latent powers, as Dark Seid's invasion approaches, the New God's feel Earth will need more heroes to defend itself from the invasion from Apocalypse, and send bolts of energy tied with the "Omega Effect" to awaken their latent powers.

I imagined that as well as Pharaoh, and Samurai, the line would have also eventually introduce El Dorado, Vulcan and Apache, using the same origin for them too.
    Always thought this was a great vehicle to introduce all four HB created Super Friends heroes Samurai, Vulcan,Dorado and Apache into the DCU proper.
    Seems that Golden Pharaoh is now part of the British Knights, Inc team from issues of The Doomsday Clock. Samurai is also part of Japan's Big Monster Action team from the Doomsday Clock. El Dorado is the leader of the Mexican team Justicia.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Top/center - is that a pillow case in the frame? If so, I had one just like it. Slept on it for years.
    I also had that pillow case and sheet set. The pillow case accompanied me on many a sleepover as a kid. Somehow, my nephew acquired it. Now, his son uses it and brought it along at Christmas a few years ago! Imagine my surprise to see it still being used after all these years! If I remember correctly, I believe there is a copyright of 1977 on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    I also had that pillow case and sheet set. The pillow case accompanied me on many a sleepover as a kid. Somehow, my nephew acquired it. Now, his son uses it and brought it along at Christmas a few years ago! Imagine my surprise to see it still being used after all these years! If I remember correctly, I believe there is a copyright of 1977 on it?

I just checked my case in the frame, it has a date of 1976 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    . . . If I remember correctly, I believe there is a copyright of 1977 on it?
    I just checked my case in the frame, it has a date of 1976 on it.
    Was there maybe a version with Marvin, Wendy & Wonder Dog and then a version with Zan, Jayna & Gleek? (Off-hand I have no idea, but since the Wonder Twins were introduced in 1977, . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Was there maybe a version with Marvin, Wendy & Wonder Dog and then a version with Zan, Jayna & Gleek? (Off-hand I have no idea, but since the Wonder Twins were introduced in 1977, . . . )
    To my knowledge, the "diversity" heroes and twins never appeared on any merchandise.

From what I've seen online, the 5 main Super Friends, and the group I call "second tier" heroes (Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman & Hawkwoman) all were characters that DC Comics owned the rights to, so they would go on everything.

When it game to Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Dorado, and the Wonder Twins, the rights to those characters were owned by the artists who created them. Because of that, they were never put on any merchandise, and instead, other DC heroes like Plastic Man, Batgirl, Supergirl, and others appeared on merchandise in their place. (Super Friends lunchbox, and wrapping paper)

It wasn't until about 2004 that a journal and stationary set appeared that featured the Wonder Twins on it. In 2009 figures for Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief appeared in the "DC Universe Justice League Unlimited" collection.

2009 was the year the DC Universe Classics line issued the Wonder Twins figures, and in 2011 they issued wave 18 of the line, which featured Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Dorado.

All of those characters appeared on the Figures Toy Company line of figures released just recently as well.

Here's the lunchbox I mentioned. The first side is 4 of the main heroes. The second shows Flash, Batgirl, and Green Arrow. GA was on the show once, and Batgirl never appeared. On the side, you can make out Supergirl, who also never appeared on the show.

Here is a pic of some Super Friends valentines. Once again, no Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, Eldorado or Wonder Twins. Yet, we have Plastic Man, Supergirl, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Mera and Wonder Girl.

Click this link to see more of the valentines with the characters mentioned above. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page of that link, they actually have one El Dorado valentine card.

http://comic-books-in-the-media.wiki..._Super_Friends
    Last edited by CellarDweller; 10-28-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Here's the lunchbox I mentioned. The first side is 4 of the main heroes. The second shows Flash, Batgirl, and Green Arrow. GA was on the show once, and Batgirl never appeared. On the side, you can make out Supergirl, who also never appeared on the show.

Had one of these too! Used the hell out of it in Elementary School. Turns out my wife still had hers from childhood (although a little rusty), along with a Holly Hobby one.

Here you go; clear image of the four sides top, bottom, left, right.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-29-2018 at 06:29 PM.

It makes me laugh when I see "Kitten" on the top of the lunchbox. She was in the first two issues of Super Friends, and never appeared anywhere else in DC history, but she ends up on the lunchbox.

To my knowledge, the "diversity" heroes and twins never appeared on any merchandise.

From what I've seen online, the 5 main Super Friends, and the group I call "second tier" heroes (Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman & Hawkwoman) all were characters that DC Comics owned the rights to, so they would go on everything.

When it game to Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Dorado, and the Wonder Twins, the rights to those characters were owned by the artists who created them. Because of that, they were never put on any merchandise, and instead, other DC heroes like Plastic Man, Batgirl, Supergirl, and others appeared on merchandise in their place. (Super Friends lunchbox, and wrapping paper)
    While it's true they didn't appear on merch, I don't think it was because they were owned by the artist, who all worked for HB, there may have certainly been specific licensing deal that needed to be worked out with HB.
    Although likely the main reason was they weren't a merchandising priority.
    The Twins however and before them Wendy and Marvin all created by HB, did appear in the DC published Super Friends comics.
    Also if you look at the 80's García-López in house DC style guides, these were mostly used for their merchandising wing, they do include art of Samurai, and El Dorado.
    And as as indicated Samurai appeared in the Super Powers line of Comics, and Super Powers toy line, and Vulcan and Dorado and Wonder Twins were earmarked for the 4th wave:

Dorado - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a.../eldorado.html
    Vulcan- http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...nd/vulcan.html
    Zan- http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...ind/ppzan.html
    Jayna- http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...d/ppjayna.html
    Just the line was canceled.

They even made hard-copies for the Dorado figure. - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a.../eldorado.html

Plus the El Dorado Valentines you indicate

So they were defiantly allowed to merchandise Samurai and El Dorado, and Vulcan, by 1985, it just didn't pan out.
    It wasn't until about 2004 that a journal and stationary set appeared that featured the Wonder Twins on it. In 2009 figures for Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief appeared in the "DC Universe Justice League Unlimited" collection.

2009 was the year the DC Universe Classics line issued the Wonder Twins figures, and in 2011 they issued wave 18 of the line, which featured Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Dorado.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-28-2018 at 07:14 PM.