Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default NYCC Rumors On 2019 ASM & Venom Events

Not very detailed, but some hearsay from NYCC related to Marvel projects is starting to emerge.

Nick Spencer will have a major event in autumn next year (and apparently isn't some OMD retcon), and another mini-Venom event will kick off in either May or June.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...ents-for-2019/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Our first Spencer led Spider-Man event, could be interesting. Hopefully MJ does have a big role, regardless if it isn't a OMD retcon...which honestly, isn't even something that is needed. Why does that story have to be retconned, if a writer wants to eventually marry them again, why can't they just do it without OMD being mentioned?

BANNED

For Spencer to have a big event a year into his run seems about right. Loving what he's doing on ASM so much. Can't wait to see where he takes things.

Yay, more Spider-Man and Venom events (I say very sarcastically) .

I like his Secret Empire event although he took the easy way out in the end. Hopefully his Spider-Man events are just as good even better

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I like his Secret Empire event although he took the easy way out in the end. Hopefully his Spider-Man events are just as good even better
    I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not but I loved his Cap run into Secret Empire. It made me uncomfortable and interested in a way that comics haven't done before. I think he'll craft some great stories for Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not but I loved his Cap run into Secret Empire. It made me uncomfortable and interested in a way that comics haven't done before. I think he'll craft some great stories for Spider-Man
    I didnt read his run but read that event cause of the controversy. But I only wish he didnt separate the Captains at the end as it would've been something to see. So I believe he will be capable of making some Great Stories for Spidey in the future

I just really don't get the need for "Spider-Man events" to be honest.

I mean, business-wise I get it, but conceptually they just don't seem to work with the character in my opinion.

I didnt read his run but read that event cause of the controversy. But I only wish he didnt separate the Captains at the end as it would've been something to see. So I believe he will be capable of making some Great Stories for Spidey in the future
    I can agree with you on that for sure. Cap didn't get that way (Hydra Agent) by being separated so I guess Spencer could have stuck the landing a little better. Still.. I think we're in for a treat with Spencer's Spidey run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Our first Spencer led Spider-Man event, could be interesting. Hopefully MJ does have a big role, regardless if it isn't a OMD retcon...which honestly, isn't even something that is needed. Why does that story have to be retconned, if a writer wants to eventually marry them again, why can't they just do it without OMD being mentioned?
    I agree, it would be nice to get revenge on Mephisto but just putting the marriage back seems as lazy as getting the point of undoing it did..

Having said that, I don't know what Spencer has in store. its very vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just really don't get the need for "Spider-Man events" to be honest.

I mean, business-wise I get it, but conceptually they just don't seem to work with the character in my opinion.
    I think it depends on the story. Spider-Island and Spider-Verse have a big enough scope to them that they work well as "events". Something like The Clone Conspiracy feels like it was dragged out a bit too much to make itself an "event".

Spencer has proven himself both with big line-wide events, Secret Empire, and also with the smaller solo-specific mini-event, with Avengers Standoff, so I'd think he'll make something worthy of an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I agree, it would be nice to get revenge on Mephisto but just putting the marriage back seems as lazy as getting the point of undoing it did..
    I feel the same way, I don't need them to have to be married again, but I would be all for a OMD resolution for a confrontation. And it makes sense if Spencer does have something related to that planned which has been heavily implied, probably won't drop the bombshell right away just a year into his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think it depends on the story. Spider-Island and Spider-Verse have a big enough scope to them that they work well as "events". Something like The Clone Conspiracy feels like it was dragged out a bit too much to make itself an "event".
    Spider-Island was okay for me and I've made my opinions on Spider-Verse pretty clear, so I hope Spencer doesn't take too much influence from past Spider-Man events.

And, again, those kinds of stories tell me that Spider-Man isn't really in his wheelhouse when it comes to spearheading an "event," although at least Spider-Island felt more like an actual Spider-Man story then Spider-Verse did for me. Even Clone Conspiracy as a revamped Clone Saga feels more relevant as a Spider-Man story.
    Spencer has proven himself both with big line-wide events, Secret Empire, and also with the smaller solo-specific mini-event, with Avengers Standoff, so I'd think he'll make something worthy of an event.
    I think a big difference is that Avengers and Secret Empire (a big MU title) are the kind of titles you expect to headline an "event," at least as it's commonly known.

It's different from something like Spider-Man that's more solo-centric, although one could probably argue that Standoff and SE were both Captain America events at their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think a big difference is that Avengers and Secret Empire (a big MU title) are the kind of titles you expect to headline an "event," at least as it's commonly known.

It's different from something like Spider-Man that's more solo-centric, although one could probably argue that Standoff and SE were both Captain America events at their hearts.
    I don't think we're gonna get a "Secret Empire"-sized event from Spider-Man, which to be fair none of the other Spider-events have tried to go to that big a scale. Spider-Island is the closest because that has all the Avengers play a big role in it, while Spider-Verse and Clone Conspiracy were strictly contained to Spider-titles. It'll probably be something closer to Standoff, which while SE I would argue is a more MU centred story, Standoff is a Captain America story so the scale fits it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not but I loved his Cap run into Secret Empire. It made me uncomfortable and interested in a way that comics haven't done before.
    I thought Spencer's Cap run was incredible, just because it was so tense and unsettling. The main story in SE was excellent but the Steve Rogers Captain America stuff was where Spencer was really crushing it.

I liked Spencer's run on Cap, didn't like secret empire second half and I'm loving his run on ASM so far. So i'm not too sure what to think about this event. Let's hope it sticks the landing.