Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics #1004 (spoilers)

Action Comics 1004 was an overhyped issue that resolved nothing and revealed nothing other than that Bendis continues to not understand who Lois Lane is and his “voice” for her is absolutely terrible, forced and vapid. It was a meh issue not deserving of the hype. I am officially bored with Bendis as he continues to retcon Jurgens’ work as if it didn’t happen to suit his agenda and I’m done giving him chances.

I also expected more from the art. Without revealing any spoilers, there were some odd choices made especially with Lois and that just didn’t work.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 10-24-2018 at 12:24 AM.

BANNED

It didn't help that all of Lois' reasons were pretty much exactly what Bendis had been saying verbatim in interviews for months...all without any real clarity as to why she thought that way, but I suppose that's what the flashbacks in Superman will be for.

Synopsis

spoilers:
    Clark is ambushed by Trish Q, who wants his opinion on Lois meeting with Lex. Clark goes to the storage room and sulks. He flashes back to the previous night where he reunites with Lois. They have sex back at her hotel. Lois tells Clark all about Jon and his maturity, telling him her time spent in space convinced her neither Jon or Clark needed her at the moment and that she needs some space. She assures Clark they're not breaking up and that they both have work to do, they are not a normal family and never will be. She tells him they'll work things out, and the flashbacks end. Clark hears gunfire and finds someone is attacking Trish at the Planet. He stops the assailant as Superman, he spots the "Death of Superman" headline and remarks that it reminds him of the good old days (the hell Bendis?)

Later, he visits Lois at the hotel asking why Luthor was there, Lois tells him he wanted some "embarrassing" information to use against Clark, but she told him to go away. Clark asks if he can read Lois' book, Lois tells him it's not ready, but Clark tells her Cat Grant already previewed it. They embrace one another high in the sky.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-24-2018 at 12:53 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This issue really made me smile in terms of characterization, art, and overall feel of the world. Felt like peak Ultimate Spider-Man. So many standout pages and little moments of great art and character acting. Few things though....

* What Lois is working on is still a mystery/unexplained, but given recent interviews I can guess....

* Really just glad to see her as a voice in the book again. Like Clark, I kind of feel like myself again with her here.

* Dug Bendis liberal use love making for both an expression of passion and for comedic effect. Far too often I find that writers write their passion as if it's made of glass, and it can come off a bit more conservative than required, so I really dug this more naturalistic take to things. It's more leaving the myth at the door for a moment.

* On a personal note, I can actually relate to what Bendis is going for here in a sense when it comes to Lois' new outlook. I won't go into detail, but my significant other went through a rough patch of personal uncertainty (comes with the whole being 20 something deal) and talking through that transition felt a lot like this especially since her and I were about a year out from not just moving in together but also leaving the state. I can't speak on how other people will take it, but in "a Superman's us but on a bigger level" deal I legitimately connected with their conversation.

* That has to be one of my favorite Superman At The Planet scenes ever. Every thing out of Superman's mouth during that scene made me smile. Then the subtlety of the paragraphs of emotions near its end were great.

* The growth spurt/puberty is totally real, people. Take that for whatever you will. He'll still technically be 11, 12, or 13.

* Lois and Clark's banter in between the catching up was great.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-24-2018 at 02:39 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I've been following Rebirth/Reborn only though forums ever since Bendis came in and from the sound of it made right decision, because it feels like reading his run is a constant frustration, something I never felt with Jurgens. Will keep waiting for unnecesarry drama to be resolved before deciding if I want to waste my time on every single issue he wrote. I haven't skipped a single Gleason and Jurgens issues of Superman/Action Comics, but this... This isn't exciting to follow. The whole Rebirth initiative feels hijacked recently, Nightwing with brain damage and name change is another huge turn off from DC Comics outside of Superman and Action Comics currently and it's really sad to see, because Rebirth started AMAZING.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I've been following Rebirth/Reborn only though forums ever since Bendis came in and from the sound of it made right decision
    I'm a big Bendis critic and I really like what he's doing, so it'd help if you actually took the time to read the books and not pick up second hand information from people with an agenda against him

Lois and Clark were handled pretty well in this issue, they're both still horny for each other as well as support one another, there's a real mystery building and it's good to have some tension in the relationship again. There wasn't even any real sign of that "slight reset" Bendis teased..at least not yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm a big Bendis critic and I really like what he's doing, so it'd help if you actually took the time to read the books and not pick up second hand information from people with an agenda against him

Lois and Clark were handled pretty well in this issue, they're both still horny for each other as well as support one another, there's a real mystery building and it's good to have some tension in the relationship again. There wasn't even any real sign of that "slight reset" Bendis teased..at least not yet.
    Please stop implying that anyone who critiques Bendis “has an agenda against him.” Stop that. It’s wrong and unfair.

I have no agenda against this man! I am not a Marvel reader and had barely ever read his work before he came to Superman. I was neither a fan nor not a fan. He had every opportunity to win me over and he didn’t do it. He failed.

I didn’t like the issue. I thought it was a lot of talking that said absolutely nothing and I think Bendis has a terrible grasp of who Lois is and his “voice” for her is off and wrong.

She keeps saying she “needs to write.” Yeah? She’s been writing since Jon was born! There was nothing about living with her husband and son that was preventing her from writing. So that? Another retcon? Because that’s what it feels like.

Lois says they aren’t “normal” as if they have ever acted like they were! Again, it’s like he’s rewriting their entire lives. Is Lois no longer a journalist? Because, if so, that’s pretty freaking crappy. Lois Lane is the most important journalist in fiction and are you telling me that Bendis just came in and decided that Lois no longer gets to be a reporter because he wants to focus on his original characters instead and Clark as the journalist hero? So she gets stripped of her iconic job and passion at a tIme in history where female journalists are under siege because why? It’s insulting.

So what? The solution to their “modern” marriage is that they are going to live apart and just meet up for sex? This is so phenomenally stupid and there’s nothing “modern” about this. I’m ::actually:: married and a mother and I have a job I love. Nothing about the way he’s approaching marriage here makes any kind of sense. It’s forced and just feels like a way to separate them and get her out of the Planet without having to actually do it.

Don’t even get me started on the inane dialogue. Lois Lane does not use the word “baby” 50 times. Maybe when she’s trying to comfort him or in a moment of passion but this? This was ridiculous. Bendis doesn’t understand her.

As for them being “horny” for each other? That also fell completely flat for me. For starters? Why is she wearing a shirt the whole time? It’s like these men don’t understand actual context for appropriate nudity. Most of the time in comics they draw women naked in skimpy costumes when there is no context which is offensive, This is an ::actual:: love scene and she’s dressed like that but he’s naked? It was stupid and pulled me right out. Married women engaging in all night long lovemaking with their husbands don’t wear a ragged shirt the whole time. It made no sense. He had an opportunity to have an actual love scene in the proper context and they chickened out and oddly, once again, stripped her of her sexuality in the process.

This was such a complete waste of an issue that said nothing of substance and I’m so annoyed that Bendis has control of Lois because he clearly doesn’t understand her at all. Again, I’m actually married. I understand better than most here that marriage isn’t easy and can have “tension.” But it has to make sense and this makes no freaking sense. It’s a retcon filled mess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This issue really made me smile in terms of characterization, art, and overall feel of the world. Felt like peak Ultimate Spider-Man. So many standout pages and little moments of great art and character acting. Few things though....

* On a personal note, I can actually relate to what Bendis is going for here in a sense when it comes to Lois' new outlook. I won't go into detail, but my significant other went through rough patch of personal uncertainty (comes with the whole being 20 something deal) and talking through that transition felt a lot like this especially since her and I were about a year out from not just moving in together but also leaving the state. I can't speak on how other people will take it, but in "a Superman's us but on a bigger level" deal I legitimately connected

* Lois and Clark's banter in between the catching up was great.

I truly respect that you related to this but....Lois Lane is not a confused 20 something. She’s in her late 30’s, she’s been married over a decade and she has a child. She’s been with the same man a long time. Doesn’t it strike you as off that Bendis is writing this woman in a way that you are essentially comparing her to a confused 20 something? Because as a married mother closer to Lois’s age, this is exactly why I thought the issue was terrible.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Please stop implying that anyone who critiques Bendis “has an agenda against him.” Stop that. It’s wrong and unfair.

I have no agenda against this man! I am not a Marvel reader and had barely ever read his work before he came to Superman. I was neither a fan nor not a fan. He had every opportunity to win me over and he didn’t do it. He failed.

I didn’t like the issue. I thought it was a lot of talking that said absolutely nothing and I think Bendis has a terrible grasp of who Lois is and his “voice” for her is off and wrong.

She keeps saying she “needs to write.” Yeah? She’s been writing since Jon was born! There was nothing about living with her husband and son that was preventing her from writing. So that? Another retcon? Because that’s what it feels like.

Lois says they aren’t “normal” as if they have ever acted like they were! Again, it’s like he’s rewriting their entire lives. Is Lois no longer a journalist? Because, if so, that’s pretty freaking crappy. Lois Lane is the most important journalist in fiction and are you telling me that Bendis just came in and decided that Lois no longer gets to be a reporter because he wants to focus on his original characters instead and Clark as the journalist hero? So she gets stripped of her iconic job and passion at a tIme in history where female journalists are under siege because why? It’s insulting.

So what? The solution to their “modern” marriage is that they are going to live apart and just meet up for sex? This is so phenomenally stupid and there’s nothing “modern” about this. I’m ::actually:: married and a mother and I have a job I love. Nothing about the way he’s approaching marriage here makes any kind of sense. It’s forced and just feels like a way to separate them and get her out of the Planet without having to actually do it.

Don’t even get me started on the inane dialogue. Lois Lane does not use the word “baby” 50 times. Maybe when she’s trying to comfort him or in a moment of passion but this? This was ridiculous. Bendis doesn’t understand her.

As for them being “horny” for each other? That also fell completely flat for me. For starters? Why is she wearing a shirt the whole time? It’s like these men don’t understand actual context for appropriate nudity. Most of the time in comics they draw women naked in skimpy costumes when there is no context which is offensive, This is an ::actual:: love scene and she’s dressed like that but he’s naked? It was stupid and pulled me right out. Married women engaging in all night long lovemaking with their husbands don’t wear a ragged shirt the whole time. It made no sense. He had an opportunity to have an actual love scene in the proper context and they chickened out and oddly, once again, stripped her of her sexuality in the process.

This was such a complete waste of an issue that said nothing of substance and I’m so annoyed that Bendis has control of Lois because he clearly doesn’t understand her at all. Again, I’m actually married. I understand better than most here that marriage isn’t easy and can have “tension.” But it has to make sense and this makes no freaking sense. It’s a retcon filled mess.
    I second every word.
    But think about this: It could have gone much much worse. At least they're not breaking up or something like that.

But I agree with you: Bendis writing Lois is terrible. Terrible.
    At least they'll still be together.

BANNED

No, what's wrong and unfair is you not giving the story a chance to breath and expecting one chapter to fulfil all your needs. It's like closing the book right after you get the first snuggle between the characters and one says "we could do with a break"

I thought it was a lot of talking that said absolutely nothing
    I agree that there was too much vaugeness, but we do get a unique point of view from Lois. I imagine somebody taking over from Bendis might even retcon this as being a mid-life crisis on her end, but Superlad mentioned, very real couples are like this.

You obviously didn't read the interview Bendis gave to DC Nation. Lois has information about the universe she thinks Clark can't know about yet, she can't afford to have Clark taking peeks at her book (hell, he even asks Lois if he can read it at the end of this issue) before she's ready to tell him these things. There are bigger forces at work and Lois is shouldering some of the responsibility, making sure Clark's in a position to do something about it when she feels the time is right.

She's not been stripped of anything, and again, you're defining your opinion on ONE chapter of a longer story. Lois will be involved in things going forward, wait it out. Or don't. Your choice.

Lois Lane does not use the word “baby” 50 times.
    Good, because she didn't.

This isn't black label pal, kids read this.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

I find it hard to believe because Bendis was verbally jerking off to red trunks and wrote what I would call two dumbest comic book palens of the year for an anniversary issue:

I don't want to give a person with such writing any chances until I'm sure beforehand that he didn't wrote a mess. He doesn't worth a dollar so far. I canceled my AC1000 Deluxe Edition because of it.

Spectacular Member

Miles to go I'm sorry, but, honestly, Nelliebly is perfectly right.

Yes, it's just one chapter of a long story, but it just started absurd. And that's a fact.
    Lois is not like that and, frankly, I understand we are talking about Superman here, but If my wife came back without telling me I'd be a little more concerned and I'd like to have more information of the reasons why...
    So, Bendis is really missing more than something here...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I find it hard to believe because Bendis was verbally jerking off to red trunks and wrote what I would call two dumbest comic book palens of the year for an anniversary issue
    I...don't see the issue here. I liked that dialogue. If you want to call me dumb for liking it, that's your call, but cancelling a hardcover over this? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post

Yes, it's just one chapter of a long story, but it just started absurd. And that's a fact.
    No, it's an opinion.

You make your point clearly with a well thought-out post, but it's possible Bendis understand Lois, while having a different idea of who she is than you. Also, you're not the only one to be married or to have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post

Lois is not like that and, frankly, I understand we are talking about Superman here, but If my wife came back without telling me I'd be a little more concerned and I'd like to have more information of the reasons why...
    So, Bendis is really missing more than something here...
    This is not a fact. This is just your opinion. It's a perfectly legit opinion, but it doesn't mean everyone has to share it, and it especially doesn't mean it's a fact.

Spectacular Member

You don't need me, you want me...

C'mon guys, are we serious here???

Is this a Lois from another world? Because she certainly doesn't think or talk like the marvelous character we enjoyed reading for decades (except the New 52 version, of course)

And... baby??? What... has Jon aged and Lois got back to her teenage years or what?