Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Films like Manhunter

I just watched Manhunter last night. I haven't seen it in a few years and I realized it might just be one of the best movies ever made. Are there any really good movies like this that compare? Of course there is Silence of the Lambs, Seven and the underrated tv show Millennium, but are there any gems I'm missing?

It's easy to get into serial killers and stuff like that with youtube and all that. It's a naughty subject that can turn your stomach. The real super heroes are these guys that can get inside their head and catch them.

Spectacular Member

Totally agree. Manhunter is one of the best movies of the 80s Michael Mann is at the top of his game I think. I always wondered if William Petersen got interested in CSI because of his work in this film. Top notch action and the soundtrack (with Shriekback and Red 7) is great too.

Frankly I always thought the "remake" of Red Dragon paled in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I just watched Manhunter last night. I haven't seen it in a few years and I realized it might just be one of the best movies ever made. Are there any really good movies like this that compare? Of course there is Silence of the Lambs, Seven and the underrated tv show Millennium, but are there any gems I'm missing?

It's easy to get into serial killers and stuff like that with youtube and all that. It's a naughty subject that can turn your stomach. The real super heroes are these guys that can get inside their head and catch them.
    If you've not seen the TV shows "Hannibal" starring Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, or "Mindhunter" starring Jonathan Goff, Hold McCallany, and Anna Torv you should check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    Totally agree. Manhunter is one of the best movies of the 80s Michael Mann is at the top of his game I think. I always wondered if William Petersen got interested in CSI because of his work in this film. Top notch action and the soundtrack (with Shriekback and Red 7) is great too.

I thought the opposite. I always felt Red Dragon was far superior to Manhunter (Which I consider to be a horrible film). I also thought Edward Norton was great in his performance in Red Dragon, while William Peterson was laughable in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    If you've not seen the TV shows "Hannibal" starring Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, or "Mindhunter" starring Jonathan Goff, Hold McCallany, and Anna Torv you should check those out.
    I've got to agree completely there.

Unless you just can't stick with it on the "Artistic Vision" side, it should be almost exactly what the initial post mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post

To Live And Die In L.A. probably didn't hurt.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Has anyone seen THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT ? No spoilers please.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Has anyone seen THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT ? No spoilers please.
    Uh...

I'm under the impression that it hasn't been released yet(minus the screening at Cannes). Have you heard something that says otherwise?

@numberthirty
    Sorry, should have checked the release date first. Sorry.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To Live And Die In L.A. probably didn't hurt.
    Yup. Although that was more of a straight up police thriller than a procedural. The book is solid too

@numberthirty
    Sorry, should have checked the release date first. Sorry.
    No, nothing to be sorry about. I just thought that the film might have had some sort of short runs since the festival.

I'll add a second for To Live and Die in LA.

No Country for Old Men, Mann's Jericho Mile, and Mann's Thief might be up your alley, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'll add a second for To Live and Die in LA.

No Country for Old Men, Mann's Jericho Mile, and Mann's Thief might be up your alley, too.
    No Country is my go to January-1st-movie. It helps me calibrating (re-calibrating?) what a great movie is once a year. It made me even pick up some CMcCarthy novels (translated to my language).

No Country is my go to January-1st-movie. It helps me calibrating (re-calibrating?) what a great movie is once a year. It made me even pick up some CMcCarthy novels (translated to my language).
    That was a really good movie but I have to say that ending was far from perfect....

Since I went back through the thread and didn't see anyone mention this film...

There is a Nicolas Cage film called 8MM that might be along the lines of what has been discussed. As long as you can tolerate some of the very "This film was clearly made in the late nineties..." indicators and that the subject matter is not for more sensitive folks, I would seriously consider seeing this film if you haven't. While I know that Cage can be a bit of a punchline, his performance in the film is really solid.