Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is Deadpool becoming too "meta" ?

I have read the last Deadpool comics and I have a real problem with them. Deadpool was always a "meta" character, so crazy that he understands that he is a comic hero. But, like Morty on Rick and Morty, this lucidity is not a gift but a burden.
    He is a character who know for sur that the world don't make sense but try to be good nevertheless. His best arcs, like "the good the bad and the ugly" are when the writer embrace the tragic nature of Deadpool, use his humor but never forget that it is a defense mechanism against the aburdity of his life.
    But , since the movies, it seems to me that all the writers have forgot the tragedy and only use the clown, the "meta" character who take nothing seriously, and we have now a Deadpool-lite, a shell without soul. I have read his recent comics and "Black Panther vs Deapool", and there is no stake, no emotions, you are not invested because the hero don't believe in his mission.
    What do you think ? Do you prefer a carefree Deadpool, or do you think that he must be used sometimes more seriously ?
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Serious Deadpool is ALWAYS the better Deadpool. When he's dark, dangerous, witty, and unpredictable. THIS Deadpool? The one being written in his ongoing right now? Brutal. My long time collecting Deadpool stopped when Duggan left the title. And even during that run things tended to be a tad goofy. I don't see myself going back to it unless something seriously changes.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Serious Deadpool is ALWAYS the better Deadpool. When he's dark, dangerous, witty, and unpredictable. THIS Deadpool? The one being written in his ongoing right now? Brutal. My long time collecting Deadpool stopped when Duggan left the title. And even during that run things tended to be a tad goofy. I don't see myself going back to it unless something seriously changes.
    This. Word for Word. Deadpool was mostly destroyed as a character when Daniel Way got a hold of him in 2007.

Duggan managed to clean up his mess & make Deadpool an actual character again. But he could still get too goofy sometimes.

Over all, the 90's Deadpool was the best one we've ever had. He wisecracked and could be very mouthy. But he was a dark & brutal character. I miss that.

I also stopped reading anything DP related once Duggan was finally finished. The only exception has been Pak's Weapon X which he's guest-starring in now. As predicted, Pak doesn't do a good Deadpool. We've basically got Waypool w/o the voice boxes in Weapon X right now. I am only reading the book because the writing on Sabretooth has improved, and Monet has joined the team for the final ride.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-25-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Astonishing Member

Deadpool by Rick Remender in Uncanny-X-Force was great.The writer had the character with good characterisation.Spider-Man/Deadpool first stories by Joe Kelly are another more recent great stories with Deadpool that the character characterisation seems to be well writen.

he's been too meta since right after Blind Al was introduced (some of that early stuff was fun though).

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Deadpool by Rick Remender in Uncanny-X-Force was great.The writer had the character with good characterisation.Spider-Man/Deadpool first stories by Joe Kelly are another more recent great stories with Deadpool that the character characterisation seems to be well writen.
    Absolutely co-sign this.

Over all, the 90's Deadpool was the best one we've ever had. He wisecracked and could be very mouthy. But he was a dark & brutal character. I miss that.
    I think it's also worth noting that his fourth wallbreaking stuff was kept to a minimum. It happened once every dozen or so issues. Not it seems that's almost all he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think it's also worth noting that his fourth wallbreaking stuff was kept to a minimum. It happened once every dozen or so issues. Not it seems that's almost all he does.
    And it's SO forced most of the time. Not even clever like how Remender did it.

And it's SO forced most of the time. Not even clever like how Remender did it.
    Agreed. It just gets lame after a while. Again, like in Pak's Weapon X.

*Deadpool tells the team nobody is gonna die because they're all in other books.
    *Or issue 23 when he calls Omega Red "Fellow Gratuitously violent 90's character."
    *And telling Mystique she needs new writers.

This was in the course of 4 pages.

It was just too much, and every other sentence out of his mouth is 4th-wall breaking. And it wasn't funny. It was eye-roll levels of annoying.

Sometimes it's ok, and amusing. Example I liked Duggan's run where he & Sabretooth break the wall. Deadpool calls him a Wolverine rip-off & Sabretooth says to tell Slade he said hi.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-25-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Those aren't even terrible examples. In Young's ongoing and the later Spider-Man/Deadpool issues, the that I have read, he basically has a conversation with the reader for all 20whatever pages.

the hyper-snark from Deadpool is the main reason why I detest him. Go away, Wade.

Ultimate Member

You just spoke my mind.

The current run is kind of garbage. Deadpool is a funny guy but he’s not a “gag” character that some writers make him out to be. Duggan and Remender got this.

Those aren't even terrible examples. In Young's ongoing and the later Spider-Man/Deadpool issues, the that I have read, he basically has a conversation with the reader for all 20whatever pages.
    They're the worst ones I have because I stopped reading everything else a while ago, And thankfully I did. So the worst I am seeing is Pak's version of Waypool.

I dropped off SM/DP when Kelly left & I saw DP was back into butt-clown territory. Though I read some stuff here & there that I thought had some heart to it. Like their interactions as old men in the nursing home. But Idk WTH is going on in the book now.

And Young lost me at chapter 2. If I even read that. I may pick it up if he gets better like Duggan did. But for now, I got DP fatigue.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I certainly like my Deadpool to be a little more serious. Was never going to happen but I would have loved Remender to return back to Marvel for a Deadpool book post Duggan.

Deadpool should be funny, but that's not nearly the entirety of his character. There needs to be some darkness, some seriousness, to contrast the comedy or he just doesn't work. Now that darkness can of course vary in extremes (not every arc needs to be 'The Good, the bad and the Ugly'), but some element of it needs to be there or else he just becomes a gag character and often not even a good gag character.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!