Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you call when someone simply copies your insults/arguments in a fight?

I notice that whenever anyone argues with you or someone else, sometimes you see people just copying your own arguments or responses and using them against you by creating their own personal variation or a slightly altered form of it with minor changes in wording. Without even thinking up their own insults or comebacks.

Examples:

Person 1: You do realize that your argument is based on very old data that makes no sense and only favors Democrats, you left-wing commie...
    Person 2: You do realize that your argument is based on very old data that makes no sense and only favors Republicans, you right-wing nazi...

Person 1: Ahhhhh you're still being mad or upset I see...
    Person 2: Ahhhhh you're still being [insert whatever disparaging buzzword or other childish insults] I see...

Person 1: Your whole argument has already fallen in shambles and you couldn't even refute my point, how about that?
    Person 2: [makes strong ad hominem insults and threats towards Person 1], how about that?

What do you call this type of argumentative style and debating or insult tactic? What kind of name would you give it or what type of fallacy would you consider this? Why do some people sometimes resort to this type of response or comeback A LOT? How do you usually deal with people who argue with you in this particular type, method, or style of mockery and insults?
    Last edited by Adrian Fomble; 10-25-2018 at 08:56 AM.

BANNED

If it's not used to replace an argument and actually supports one (Preferably with evidence supporting it) I enjoy when people have their words turned against them. In that circumstance I call it funny, but otherwise it's childishly copy-catting someone or being a lazy troll.

A person's choice of words can be very revealing about them and their thought processes, and can inform you as much (in regards to the validity of what they are saying, and a few other factors) as much as the meaning of what is stated. How you say something is just as important as what you say when trying to communicate with others, especially if you are trying to convince them of something. How someone speaks can even reveal where they were raised based on phraseology and how certain words are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    Why do some people sometimes resort to this type of response or comeback A LOT? How do you usually deal with people who argue with you in this particular type, method, or style of mockery and insults?
    I wouldn't call it resorting. It sounds to like like pointing out (or attempting to point out) the hypocrisy in someone else's argument.

Absolutely hilarious, and I encourage everyone to do it all the time, especially for things like politics, religion, and social justice issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    Absolutely hilarious, and I encourage everyone to do it all the time, especially for things like politics, religion, and social justice issues.
    I believe I didn't ask if it was hilarious, I simply asked how you would name this type of insult or argument (or whatever I stated in the OP).

I believe I didn't ask if it was hilarious, I simply asked how you would name this type of insult or argument (or whatever I stated in the OP).
    Childish ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Amazing Member

I don't think it has any official designation, but I were gonna give it one, I'd call it "Thy Way Upon Thyself."

You asked what it was called, and I called it hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Childish ...
    See, this guy gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskman View Post
    You asked what it was called, and I called it hilarious.

See, this guy gets it.
    Could also be called mocking or mimicking but it's childish either way.

And frustrating for the other person but funny for everyone else ... :P
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I'm still curious to see how anyone would counter and troll back someone using this tactic, either what's the most mature and professional way to do it or what's the funniest and wittiest way to point out such argument style?

I heard some people call this a classic "No U" argument.

It would depend on whether the person's right.

If there are serious flaws in your arguments, it means you should step up your game if whatever you can say can say about their side can be said about yours.

But there are potentials for false equivalencies here. If one pushes a little old lady out of the way of a bus, and another pushes a little old lady into a bus, they are not both morally equivalent as guys who like to push little old ladies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Childish ...
    Throwing the same insult back at someone is childish and unimaginative.

Throwing the same argument back isn't childish at all. It's a valid way of showing the flaw in the other person's argument.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Throwing the same insult back at someone is childish and unimaginative.

Throwing the same argument back isn't childish at all. It's a valid way of showing the flaw in the other person's argument.
    Yes.

I suppose if we were looking to coin a new term, we might call it “the beam”. (“First cast the beam out of your own eye before criticising the mote in your brother’s”.)

In UK, we’d probably call returning same (or similar) insults “tit for tat”.

BANNED

No one has still yet answered how to counter this style of insulting or argumentation.

BANNED

No one has still yet answered how to counter this style of insulting or argumentation.
    Because you don't, on either side of the situation: If someone is stupid and childish enough to just throw anything you say back at you then nothing you can do will stop it. If your argument is so bad that they can respond with your own words and make a valid point then you should cease posting, and seriously rethink your argument & why you believe it while you stop giving them fresh material to work with.

Either way, the way to win is not to play.