Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Personalities/Traits of the Robins

List the personalities of each of the major Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian) and how each Robin differentiates from one another. This will help myself and others gain better understanding of the characters and their place in the Batman mythos.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn't it be good to include other allies? Like Batgirl (Barbara)

Could just say "Personality Traits of each member of the Bat Family".

Dick: the flippy one, everybody's friend, circus adrenaline junkie, the Nice Batman

Jason: the shooty one, bad boy with a heart of gold, the edge-iest, kills people sometimes, if there's a mysterious masked guy in a story it's probably him

Tim: the deducey one, he's good at brain stuff, relatable teen hero of the 90s, could run Wayne Enterprises in his sleep (jk he doesn't sleep)

Damian: the stabby one, adopts any animal he sees, baby assassin, aristobrat, would look down his nose at everyone but he's too short

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Dick: the flippy one, everybody's friend, circus adrenaline junkie, the Nice Batman

Jason: the shooty one, bad boy with a heart of gold, the edge-iest, kills people sometimes, if there's a mysterious masked guy in a story it's probably him

Tim: the deducey one, he's good at brain stuff, relatable teen hero of the 90s, could run Wayne Enterprises in his sleep (jk he doesn't sleep)

Damian: the stabby one, adopts any animal he sees, baby assassin, aristobrat, would look down his nose at everyone but he's too short
    I don't know how accurate some of those are. Especially now or since Damian and Duke were introduced.

Damian is the only Robin who has ever done any actually running f WE or anything that can be remotely described as doing any type cooperate, management or CEO work. Even when that story was in continuity Tim was a figure head. We have nothing to indicate he actually knows jack about how to run the Wayne Enterprise. Damian on the other had we saw him get in there and do actual work.

They are all deducey. With some of them deducing Holmes level stuff at a young age
    Damian, Duke are the Brainy ones Tim is techy. They all do flips, Jason might wear a leather jacket and look like an edge lord but he isn't a bad boy and is easily the most fragile of the lot.
    Damian similes more than Dick. Dick isn't nice nor is he everyone's friend. He is the most socially out going yes but he can also be a cold SOB.
    Tim isn't the most relatable. Dick is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Could just say "Personality Traits of each member of the Bat Family".
    Too daunting a task. There are dozens of members of the Batfamily.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Too daunting a task. There are dozens of members of the Batfamily.
    Could just include at least Batgirl (Barbara)?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Could just include at least Batgirl (Barbara)?
    Fine. If you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I don't know how accurate some of those are. Especially now or since Damian and Duke were introduced.

Damian is the only Robin who has ever done any actually running f WE or anything that can be remotely described as doing any type cooperate, management or CEO work. Even when that story was in continuity Tim was a figure head. We have nothing to indicate he actually knows jack about how to run the Wayne Enterprise. Damian on the other had we saw him get in there and do actual work.

They are all deducey. With some of them deducing Holmes level stuff at a young age
    Damian, Duke are the Brainy ones Tim is techy. They all do flips, Jason might wear a leather jacket and look like an edge lord but he isn't a bad boy and is easily the most fragile of the lot.
    Damian similes more than Dick. Dick isn't nice nor is he everyone's friend. He is the most socially out going yes but he can also be a cold SOB.
    Tim isn't the most relatable. Dick is.
    "List the personalities of each of the major Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian) and how each Robin differentiates from one another."

What babybats did was, with a very broad stroke summed up some of the major personalities and how they differ from each other.

In broad terms you can say that out of the four, Jason is the bad boy and Dick is the friendliest/nice one of the the bunch.

Saying that Damian is the one that similes a lot probably won't be the first things that people would use to describes him.

Also "relatable teen hero of the 90s" is something most writers and readers associate Tim with, Dick is the most known of the Robins.

I'm going to copypaste a post I wrote a few months ago, about how I see Jason, my fave out of them. It was written in the context of a comparison with Punisher, something I really, really think is a bad idea because they're really different characters, personality wise. This is my love letter to a fictional character I love to read and care about a lot, even if I disagree with his views about certain points.

Jason is a very emotional (even if he doesn't show it usually, unless he has a breakdown or looks for some kind of reaction. It's one of the reasons he comes across as impulsive to some, I think), very caring, a bit anti-social and very capable of putting himself on someone else shoes (and get very hurt from doing so,) sometimes rude vigilante, with a strong sense of justice that doesn't enjoy violence or killing especially (violence at least not more than any other bat), has big psychological issues (not only depression and psychosis, maybe some kind of neurosis too? I'm not a psychologist and wikipedia is sooo not a good source. Definitely self-esteem issues, and he's also egocentric from time to time. And has a case of PTSD from a very complex personal history, I guess. Wow, Jason: you're a mess, but I like you, love) that hurts for love and recognition and definitely knows that the things he does aren't right (he has shown remorse to some extent, and I would say it's the reason why he's not all that honest with himself).
    (...)
    Jason sees himself as the one who spots injustice that will not be righted by anyone else and will bring more suffering and pain to others because the system is corrupt, in his behaviour sees a sense of need more than a retribution (which is there as a reason, but not the main force behind) and sees his vigilantism as a necessity because no one else will do it.
    (The main force behind his will to fight criminals and corruption that way is his desire to protect others, just to make myself clear)

He's the Robin I know the best, so it's the one I'll describe. I have a very elaborated picture of Tim and Dick, too. But I don't know them well enough to write something detailed. And there are common traits for all of them: all are very smart people, daredevils that take calculated risks (some more than others, but none of them are totally reckless), have a strong sense of justice and curiosity (comes with being a vigilante chosen by Batman) who are moderately introverted, but not necessary shy (they just don't share their emotions a lot, and when they do, they tend to be rather explosive, even silently explosive, like Tim). And that, despite all having a pretty sassy mouth that they know how to use. Some are more loud and provocative than others, some are more natural and some others are more trained to be that way. But all of them have that sarcastic talk routine when confronted.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.

BANNED

This will take me awhile to do and don't have time right now, maybe later, but I've probably said it all before all through these threads. In a nutshell: Dick, Jason, and Damian are all the epitome of awesome. Tim sucks as no comics character has ever sucked before; he is too entitled and has been forced down the the collective throat like the second and third fingers down the gullet of a bulimic patient. My opinion (others feel the inverse of this)--obviously will never change after well over half a century. However, I would say that ANY Bat-Family member is (or should be) the sharpest, toughest, BEST person on any super team they appear on.

Extraordinary Member

Honstly it very much depeds on the writer, the era and the continuity. And if you read older comics from their oyou will probably see them posses a lot of traits, that are not really in line with how they a written today, or posses in traits that are nowadays commonly associated with other characters.

And if you really compare the comics objectively there are really some wired contradictions. Jason is for example imo in RHatO way nicer to his team mates than Tim and Dick are often in their team books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honstly it very much depeds on the writer, the era and the continuity. And if you read older comics from their oyou will probably see them posses a lot of traits, that are not really in line with how they a written today, or posses in traits that are nowadays commonly associated with other characters.

And if you really compare the comics objectively there are really some wired contradictions. Jason is for example imo in RHatO way nicer to his team mates than Tim and Dick are often in their team books.
    The Outlaws are Jason's real friends; therefore, he is patient and kind to them as he should be. Sometimes the Titans don't act treat Dick like a friend, which is why I'm thrilled he's out of that book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    The Outlaws are Jason's real friends; therefore, he is patient and kind to them as he should be. Sometimes the Titans don't act treat Dick like a friend, which is why I'm thrilled he's out of that book.
    The thing is that Dick is often by fans said to be the most social one and like babybats said "everybody's friend" and he is just not often written like that (I think the best example for him acting completely different is the post Graduation Day run of Outsiders).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The thing is that Dick is often by fans said to be the most social one and like babybats said "everybody's friend" and he is just not often written like that (I think the best example for him acting completely different is the post Graduation Day run of Outsiders).
    He is like that when subpar writers aren't digging for ways to make him look like a goon.