Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The thing is that Dick is often by fans said to be the most social one and like babybats said "everybody's friend" and he is just not often written like that (I think the best example for him acting completely different is the post Graduation Day run of Outsiders).
    You mean that time Donna died and so Dick swore off making friends out of teammates. That was a purposeful attempt to subvert the norm. Not the usual.

The difference between Jason, Dick, and Tim’s modern teams is that Jason’s team at its core is designed to cater and support Jason. It’s not a team, it’s a support system.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tim isn't the most relatable. Dick is.
    Agree, i am also a circus acrobat with an amazing ass that gets in the pants of every woman that he ever mets, that is known, admired and/or beloved by every person i have ever met, that was raised by a brooding playboy that beats hobos on his spare time after my parents died in a circus.
    Dick is the picture of relatability because of how normal his life has been since he was born.

Anyway, on to the actual thread:

Dick is the natural, the charisma and the heart of every team he is in. He is trying to get out of the shadow of Bruce and forge his own path. Everything is easy to him. He is the prototypical Chad. Easy going, lighthearted and witty. Failure isnt contemplated as a posibility, and when it does happen he manages to land just fine (or gets raped by a hot latina and it never gets brought up again).

Jason craves for Bruces attention, he is defined by failure.He has no motivation to be a cape otherwise. Angry, insecure, self deprecating, but has a golden heart.
    Failure is usually the name of the game, he takes it in stride and does his best.

Tim is the normal kid that Bruce always wished he was. Grew up in a normal disfunctional family and still became a hero. He is smart, responsible and cautious, hardest to nail down most traits as this robin is the one that evolves and matures, he changed a lot over 20 years. Takes failure as just another lesson, always improving on whatever he is missing.

Damian craves for everyones attention, he is defined by his upbringing and being his fathers son. Talented, overconfident, and very driven, he has a golden heart. Failure is usually not an option, and when he fails he needs people close to him to overcome it.

I feel how one takes failure largely defines who one is, which is why i bring it up. Another thing that defines people is how they tackle obstacles, but im guessing i dont need to write that down as everyone here that has any grasp on the characters know what each tends to do when facing a challenge.
    Last edited by Mataza; 10-25-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Relatability is subjective.

At the top of my head:
    Golden Boy
    Spunky Girl 1
    Black Sheep
    Nerd
    Spunky Girl 2
    Satan Spawn

I'll come back later, but those are what immediately come to mind ^^
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-25-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The difference between Jason, Dick, and Tim’s modern teams is that Jason’s team at its core is designed to cater and support Jason. It’s not a team, it’s a support system.
    Yeah, his team is called Red Hood and the Outlaws. It is a team designed specifically around Jason to support him and his character. It is a very different book compared to a traditional team book with characters having to fall into more traditional roles like being a leader, disciplinarian, wildcard, agitator and so on. Jason can really do no wrong and everyone loves him in Outlaws because it is basically a solo book for Jason.

A comparison would be how Dick was in the Grayson series to his "teammates" there in Helena and Tiger. Despite getting into fights and having conflict he was great friends with Helena and Tiger and they were shown to be close and trusted each other deeply despite being on serious missions. It wasn't that dissimilar to how Jason's teammates treat him in outlaws. Since in Grayson those characters were designed to support Dick's character. You compare that to Abnett's Titans run where Dick is thrown under the bus, is made ineffectual, and they don't really feel all that close because it is a team that isn't designed around Dick but a more traditional team where there is no main focus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, his team is called Red Hood and the Outlaws. It is a team designed specifically around Jason to support him and his character. It is a very different book compared to a traditional team book with characters having to fall into more traditional roles like being a leader, disciplinarian, wildcard, agitator and so on. Jason can really do no wrong and everyone loves him in Outlaws because it is basically a solo book for Jason.

A comparison would be how Dick was in the Grayson series to his "teammates" there in Helena and Tiger. Despite getting into fights and having conflict he was great friends with Helena and Tiger and they were shown to be close and trusted each other deeply despite being on serious missions. It wasn't that dissimilar to how Jason's teammates treat him in outlaws. Since in Grayson those characters were designed to support Dick's character. You compare that to Abnett's Titans run where Dick is thrown under the bus, is made ineffectual, and they don't really feel all that close because it is a team that isn't designed around Dick but a more traditional team where there is no main focus.
    However, even a more traditional team, where is no main focus and characters have different roles, still can built a strong relationship between characters.

The problem is the way the relationships are developed on Titans.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-25-2018 at 05:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    However, even a more traditional team, where is no main focus an characters have different roles, still can built a strong relationship between characters.

The problem is the way the relationships are developed on Titans.
    You mean the problem is the way Abnett developed relationships in the Titans. That's why I've urged building a crazy team AROUND Nightwing, assembled FOR him as the Outlaws were for Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    You mean the problem is the way Abnett developed relationships in the Titans. That's why I've urged building a crazy team AROUND Nightwing, assembled FOR him as the Outlaws were for Jason.
    Jason's Outlaws, especially in Rebirth, were more like a family then a team. An odd family, made up of the black sheep, but still a family. Biz being the "baby" and learning from Jason and Artemis, Jason leading the way, and Artemis keeping Jason in check while making sure her little Biz was alright.

Odd, I know. But it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honstly it very much depeds on the writer, the era and the continuity. And if you read older comics from their oyou will probably see them posses a lot of traits, that are not really in line with how they a written today, or posses in traits that are nowadays commonly associated with other characters.
    It's because of this that I've long wondered why people don't do the same thing they do with other media.

Since this is the Batman subforum, take for instance, the Joker. People differentiate between Mark Hamill's Joker, Jack Nicholson's Joker, Heath Ledger's Joker, etc. People recognize that since he's been portrayed by different actors all with their own take on him, it's necessary to specify which portrayal they're talking about.

People differentiate between Adam West's Batman, Michael Keaton's Batman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Christian Bale's Batman, Ben Affleck's Batman, etc. Again, because different actors will have their own take on the character.

One of Batman's influences, Sherlock Holmes, people differentiate between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes, Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes, etc. For the same reasons as above.

So I've wondered why people specify what version of a character they're talking about when referring to them in other media, recognizing that since they're portrayed differently in each version they have to identify which one they're talking about, but they don't do the same thing when talking about these characters in comics, when they've existed for decades and been portrayed by different writers who all have their own characterizations of these characters. Now there are some characters that people specify the writer (e.g., again, since this is the Batman subforum, you'll see people specifically single out Frank Miller's Batman or Grant Morrison's Batman) so that people know at what point of the character's history they're talking about, but it should really be just as much standard practice for the characters in the comics as it is for movie characters. Different writers will have their own take on a character just as much as different actors do. Once a character has been portrayed by people other than the original creator, it should be specified which one is being referred to. Particularly when you see people arguing over characterization because they're talking about that character under different writers who each portrayed them differently under their run.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    It's because of this that I've long wondered why people don't do the same thing they do with other media.

Since this is the Batman subforum, take for instance, the Joker. People differentiate between Mark Hamill's Joker, Jack Nicholson's Joker, Heath Ledger's Joker, etc. People recognize that since he's been portrayed by different actors all with their own take on him, it's necessary to specify which portrayal they're talking about.

People differentiate between Adam West's Batman, Michael Keaton's Batman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Christian Bale's Batman, Ben Affleck's Batman, etc. Again, because different actors will have their own take on the character.

One of Batman's influences, Sherlock Holmes, people differentiate between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes, Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes, etc. For the same reasons as above.

So I've wondered why people specify what version of a character they're talking about when referring to them in other media, recognizing that since they're portrayed differently in each version they have to identify which one they're talking about, but they don't do the same thing when talking about these characters in comics, when they've existed for decades and been portrayed by different writers who all have their own characterizations of these characters. Now there are some characters that people specify the writer (e.g., again, since this is the Batman subforum, you'll see people specifically single out Frank Miller's Batman or Grant Morrison's Batman) so that people know at what point of the character's history they're talking about, but it should really be just as much standard practice for the characters in the comics as it is for movie characters. Different writers will have their own take on a character just as much as different actors do. Once a character has been portrayed by people other than the original creator, it should be specified which one is being referred to. Particularly when you see people arguing over characterization because they're talking about that character under different writers who each portrayed them differently under their run.
    The difference is that different actor portrayals are typically also different universes, whereas comics have different creators and eras but are in the same line of continuity. So Bale's Batman and West's Batman are different people, but King's Batman and Snyder's are supposed to be the same guy. Also there are so many writers and artists (how a character's drawn is part of characterization, too!) that have worked on any one character that it's kind of impractical to refer to them by creator all the time.

But you and Aahz have a good point--characterization varies all the time. But if someone asked you, "Who is Bruce Wayne/Batman?" You wouldn't split hairs about which version of Batman, or who wrote him, or what era--you'd just say, "He's a rich guy who fights crime dressed as a bat."

The list I did was just me being silly, but it's more or less what I'd say to someone who had no idea who these characters were and wanted to know how to tell them apart. Characters change hands and change personalities a lot, so you just have to decide for yourself what their core personality traits are. I mean, if I wanted to be totally accurate to the comics, I'd have to say the original Robin is Ric Grayson and he's afraid of heights.

Dick- The "Hope" of the Robins. The bright, optimistic person to Bruce's darkness. And when he's matured, tries to stay on good terms with everyone.
    Jason- Fearless. Short of dealing with a certain clown. Though violent, even compared to the rest of the bats, his heart is always in the right place, with kids from tough situations in particular getting his attention.
    Tim- The tech wiz. Honestly, that's about what I have, as I don't follow him much.
    Damian- The reformer. He wants to become more than what his mother and grandfather raised him to be, and one day take up the mantle. Wants to make his family proud of him. Despite being intelligent, he simply does not know how to act like a kid (barring Jon Kent being around).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick is caring and attentive. That's what defined him for me and why I gravitate towards him.

As a kid, this didn't show up much because the ones I read was fun superhero adventure of the silver age, but starting around Bronze Age onwards, the Dick I read follows Batman to a different Earth despite being told not to, talks to Batman when he's down, berate him when he's being difficult, trained Damian when he needs it, and always listen to Barbara's problem. He's her go to guy for a shoulder to cry on.

...and despite sometimes being ignored, rejected, or violently rejected, he's still available. When it gets really bad sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just leave. Well, he does sometimes, but he always comes back without having to hear an apology.

I call him the mom of the Batfam sometimes because of this.

42003171_2170533279825509_9112834620191128594_n.jpg

...That's it for now. I'll come back later.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-25-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Fantastic Member

Dick : MBTI ESFJ Though somehow everyone will type him a P, including Devin Grayson so avoid. He's the most extroverted of the bats, but he is no way an 2d happy go lucky idiot. The peacemaker and jokester of the fam, and a badass bossy *******-ish leader of the non Bat team. Resembles Bruce the most in putting the mission first. Doesn't get along with Bruce most of the time, and doesn't cuddle his brothers, even Damian, as much as new comics like to tell you. He tries and his heart is in the right places, but usually he doesn't understand people he cares for and let his temper get the best of him, thus mistakes happens and he thrives on guilt ever since Jason dies. The OG for workaholic and angry "**** Batman" tendencies. First and foremost he's an actor so his characterisation ranges from nicer than he looks and meaner than he looks. He was more nuanced in the 70s to 90s and as Batman. Post 2000s is where there is a shift that makes him look incompetent and a bimbo jock in favor of Bruce and other Robins. This characterisation sticks today which is a bad thing.

Jason : MBTI ISFP. The actual happy-go-lucky, go-with-the-flow, NICE Robin when he was alive, considering his circumtances. Is the one Bruce really WANTS to adopt as a son. A nerd, loves books and academics and studying and talks like he's Jane Austen kin.. Is a master stategist. A bad Robin in a wider scheme that's Bruce's bad decisions, but not a bad fighter or a bad person that disobeys nor impulsive. Is not the angry Robin, because he owns his values and his choices and genuinely thinks Bruce's method is trash. Vey emotionally and socially aware. Avoid anything Morrison when reading and writing him. I'd avoid Lobdell too because it takes a LOT more than that to change his strict moral code and meddle with Bruce or Dick's hand-me-downs. Speaking of Dick, he and Jason doesnt have much of a relationship.

Tim : MBTI INTP but one half of the fandom inclding Tynion will tell you he's INTJ "because he's ahead of everyone else and plans long term and always wanted to be the best" without realising they are describing Barbara and early Dick, the other half characterise him as a complete book nerd and coffee addict that doesn't know how to talk to people, while he's actually the most diversely trained by the bests in the DCU both as a detective and staff fighter, and is KINDA a white rich fuckboy in the 90s due to DC thinking it was no problems. A nice, clever and hardworking kid but has little emotional and social awareness. The everyman that tries and learns just because he cares instead of the best anything. Not into academics nor corporate business. The most "normal" of the Robins, untl Dc killed every one of his loved ones. Gets along with Bruce better than Dick and arguably closer to Dick than Damian to Dick as a brother. He became "the best Robin, the best detective" around the time Dick and Jason gets shafted so who is better as a fighter and a detective is kinda subjective.

Damian : MBTI INFP but some writers totally screw this up and make him a mini-Bruce (INTJ). Avoid everything rebirth tbh. Very idealistic and loyal to his cause and stopped caring about blood and being "true son" like 15 issues after his first appearences . He is all about serving the Batman (s) he deems worthy and he believes in that the prideful emotional way Jason believes in his values. Loves kids and pets, has good friends. Being an assassin doesnt make him a good fighter. Actually has a LOT to learn from his brothers, and he is humbly willing after some development, unlike in Rebirth comics.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 10-26-2018 at 05:14 AM.

BANNED

What do the initials stand for?

Fantastic Member

http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFJ.html

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFP.html

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

Id throw in Bruce too : INTJ

Dick is written by Devin and in post FP comics as an ESP, Tim INTJ and Jason some kind of FJ. Babs is ENTJ and Steph is ESFP.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 10-26-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    Dick : MBTI ESFJ Though somehow everyone will type him a P, including Devin Grayson so avoid. He's the most extroverted of the bats, but he is no way an 2d happy go lucky idiot. The peacemaker and jokester of the fam, and a badass bossy *******-ish leader of the non Bat team. Resembles Bruce the most in putting the mission first. Doesn't get along with Bruce most of the time, and doesn't cuddle his brothers, even Damian, as much as new comics like to tell you. He tries and his heart is in the right places, but usually he doesn't understand people he cares for and let his temper get the best of him, thus mistakes happens and he thrives on guilt ever since Jason dies. The OG for workaholic and angry "**** Batman" tendencies. First and foremost he's an actor so his characterisation ranges from nicer than he looks and meaner than he looks. He was more nuanced in the 70s to 90s and as Batman. Post 2000s is where there is a shift that makes him look incompetent and a bimbo jock in favor of Bruce and other Robins. This characterisation sticks today which is a bad thing.

Jason : MBTI ISFP. The actual happy-go-lucky, go-with-the-flow, NICE Robin when he was alive, considering his circumtances. Is the one Bruce really WANTS to adopt as a son. A nerd, loves books and academics and studying and talks like he's Jane Austen kin.. Is a master stategist. A bad Robin in a wider scheme that's Bruce's bad decisions, but not a bad fighter or a bad person that disobeys nor impulsive. Is not the angry Robin, because he owns his values and his choices and genuinely thinks Bruce's method is trash. Vey emotionally and socially aware. Avoid anything Morrison when reading and writing him. I'd avoid Lobdell too because it takes a LOT more than that to change his strict moral code and meddle with Bruce or Dick's hand-me-downs. Speaking of Dick, he and Jason doesnt have much of a relationship.

Tim : MBTI INTP but one half of the fandom inclding Tynion will tell you he's INTJ "because he's ahead of everyone else and plans long term and always wanted to be the best" without realising they are describing Barbara and early Dick, the other half characterise him as a complete book nerd and coffee addict that doesn't know how to talk to people, while he's actually the most diversely trained by the bests in the DCU both as a detective and staff fighter, and is KINDA a white rich fuckboy in the 90s due to DC thinking it was no problems. A nice, clever and hardworking kid but has little emotional and social awareness. The everyman that tries and learns just because he cares instead of the best anything. Not into academics nor corporate business. The most "normal" of the Robins, untl Dc killed every one of his loved ones. Gets along with Bruce better than Dick and arguably closer to Dick than Damian to Dick as a brother. He became "the best Robin, the best detective" around the time Dick and Jason gets shafted so who is better as a fighter and a detective is kinda subjective.

Damian : MBTI INFP but some writers totally screw this up and make him a mini-Bruce (INTJ). Avoid everything rebirth tbh. Very idealistic and loyal to his cause and stopped caring about blood and being "true son" like 15 issues after his first appearences . He is all about serving the Batman (s) he deems worthy and he believes in that the prideful emotional way Jason believes in his values. Loves kids and pets, has good friends. Being an assassin doesnt make him a good fighter. Actually has a LOT to learn from his brothers, and he is humbly willing after some development, unlike in Rebirth comics.
    Those profiles sound... well, sound. I don't know about Damian, but the rest align with how I understand the overview of all the other Robins. I usually don't like this kind of putting every personality into a certain box, but as a general outline, it seems fine.

Funny thing, despite being a die hard Jason fan myself, I think I fit Tim's better, even with certain differences, like (which was my impression of the character actually. Well, I'm definitely extraverted). Talk about self-inserts.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-26-2018 at 02:22 PM.